Most desirable Scubapro 2nd stage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

all cracking at around .9"

LMAO, I just rebuild a 1960 DA Aquamaster (a double hose for you "newbies"), with a modern first stage and a modern second stage upgrades installed (parts availability and some performance tweaks driven), and at 135 ip, it is cracking at 0.6" (real magnahelic number).

Truth be told, my 156 and g250v are tuned similar to Simon's, and I absolutely love them, and just can't justify a purchase of a G260 (or an EVO first). As has been stated, it is all about feel. My "Tech" rig is Poseidon MK-2/Xstream, and are quite the "different" animal when you want to talk about personal "feel"....

I have collected a few D series to tinker with, and own a converted Pilot and Air-1 stages too. They (D350) were just on the scene as the "new rage" when I started, and as a poor new diver, it was a big step to get to turn a 109 into a 156 (okay, I'm old). I like to goof around with old regs, probably more to put it in the face of "new and improved", but honestly, regulators have gained little "major advancement" since balancing was implemented (and it has been around quite dome decades now). Machines are used to justify or entice you to purchase the ever moving (subjective) "better" regulator. If they couldn't sell new, what would they do?

I've bought very few new regulators. You folks chasing "new and improved" have left me plenty I am more than comfortable with, even in the technical realm....

YMMV

Last edited:
The other thing the SP guy said is that the easier exhalation contributes a good amount to reduction of CO2 retention and also to lowering SAC. Any thoughts on that?

My thought is that they'll say anything to sell new regulators.

But, on a working technical dive, one might choose the one that is objectively better, even though it doesn't give as nice a feel.

It's 'objectively better' to a test machine. Are you a test machine?

Once again, get some experience. Try different regs to see if they impact your SAC. I seriously doubt you could ever come up with any evidence, ever, that an older reg like a MK5/balanced/adjustable would result in higher gas usage than, say, a MK25/A700. The extra gas usage is really on the part of salesmen who expel it touting such things.

One other thing, the SP 2nd stage that has the most impressive numbers for deep diving is the pilot, which SP ceased to make decades ago. It is a sweet breathing regulator, but very finicky to work on. It took me several tries and some real head-scratching to get mine to work right.

LMAO, I just rebuild a 1960 DA Aquamaster (a double hose for you "newbies"), with a modern first stage and a modern second stage upgrades installed (parts availability and some performance tweaks driven), and at 135 ip, it is cracking at 0.6" (real magnahelic number).

Truth be told, my 156 and g250v are tuned similar to Simon's, and I absolutely love them, and just can't justify a purchase of a G260 (or an EVO first). As has been stated, it is all about feel. My "Tech" rig is Poseidon MK-2/Xstream, and are quite the "different" animal when you want to talk about personal "feel"....

I have collected a few D series to tinker with, and own a converted Pilot and Air-1 stages too. They (D350) were just on the scene as the "new rage" when I started, and as a poor new diver, it was a big step to get to turn a 109 into a 156 (okay, I'm old). I like to goof around with old regs, probably more to put it in the face of "new and improved", but honestly, regulators have gained little "major advancement" since balancing was implemented (and it has been around quite dome decades now). Machines are used to justify or entice you to purchase the ever moving (subjective) "better" regulator. If they couldn't sell new, what would they do?

I've bought very few new regulators. You folks chasing "new and improved" have left me plenty I am more than comfortable with, even in the technical realm....

YMMV

One of my Ds cracks at around .6" (real magnahelic number) it's beautiful.

To add, I'm not sure it's the .6" that makes it breathe so well nice as it's unique breathing characteristics.

Ok. Here goes. I bought a Mk5 with 2 109's waaaaay back when. One of the 109's was "declared" unserviceable due to a bent shaft (I still have it if someone wants to give a 2nd opinion) sometime between 1997 and 2002. I bought a G250, so now I have a Mk5 with a G250 as a primary and a 109 as my Octo. Here is the $64,000 question: Considering that I only dive warm salt water recreationally, what reg setup is the best FOR ME?
Feel free to take all the cheap shots you wish at my ignorance. I only ask the question because I have been told the Mk5 may be reaching it's serviceable end of life. The 109 MAY be reaching the end of life. I am not unhappy with anything about my current setup. I just want to be prepared if "something dies" with regard to my life sustaining underwater air breathing apparatus.

Thanks in advance.

Mike, you have the best reg setup. Mainly because you already own, and have experience with, top notch regulators. Don't let the tank monkeys talk you into another set of regulators until YOU determine you need another set. See the sticky at the top of the regulator forum for a checklist the Usual Suspects put together.

Bent shaft? My best guess at what he is referring to is the adjustment knob. Lots of BA/109/G250ies are operating with bent adjustment knob shafts. I have 2 or three that were bent and straightened but still show signs of being a little "off." What bothers me is your LDS doesn't know that it's not an issue or doesn't know the knob is interchangeable with knobs currently available to SP dealers OR just wants to sell you another regulator.

Last edited:
I have some conshelfs and during the first 10 or so minutes using them after they've been on a break I can notice they breathe a little harder than my others, but soon after I stopping focusing on it and don't really notice. Truth be told i'd not mind much if I was told I could only dive these till my days end. Numbers, shmumbers...within reason, if I'm getting air all's well.

The SP rep was also pretty specific about not tuning any regs to less than 1.1". I think I understand why, when you're talking about tuning a shop customer's reg.

Can a G260 be tuned to 0.9" reliably? Less? Any tips, tricks, or caveats to doing that?

I don't have a mag, tune by 'feel'. When you get close to cracking damn tiny movement of the orifice screw makes a big difference. It gets touchy.

Can a G260 be tuned to 0.9" reliably? Less? Any tips, tricks, or caveats to doing that?
Hi Stuartv,

One advantage to having a diver inhalation adjustment knob is that it gives one the option of tuning a regulator to minimum effort. In fact, for your personal regulator, there is no reason not to have a very slight freeflow (hiss) when the knob is all the way out. The caveat is the freeflow must stop within three quarters of a turn in. Looking at the diagram, I see your G260 also has a fine tune adjustment, so I would (guess) starting with it in the midway position will allow you to gnat's ass fine tune it with minimal pressure on the mechanical spring.

General tuning info:
Remember to start with a steady IP (the highest the second stage will see) and do a proper job of cycling it-then cycle it a few more times.

Before assembling, clean and inspect the orifice-even a new one. Do the same to the soft seat.

Removing the lever has advantages and disadvantages. The disadvantage is you might distort it; but how is one to know it's distorted without removing it? It also allows a more thorough cleaning of the air barrel-a must for smooth operation.

I'm sure a few others will chime in with helpful pointers.

Last edited:
The SP rep was also pretty specific about not tuning any regs to less than 1.1". I think I understand why, when you're talking about tuning a shop customer's reg.

Yes, absolutely, you can get them lower but then you spend time playing with the adjustment knob if you dive head down. Tips, take your time. Caveat, as above if too low.

I wish SP would do a run of new metal orifices, they have become the bane of my existence. I have a rogue one that is about one more seat change from having a hammer taken to it.

VDH have reproduction Scubapro orifices available in their store for $8... very good OEM level quality.
Store | Vintage Double Hose

Last edited:
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom