Most desirable Scubapro 2nd stage?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I don't know about the others, but the body of the A700 is pretty darn thin metal. From looking at it and what the ScubaPro rep said, well, like I said, I am skeptical that it will take a tank being dropped on it any better than a G260.

As for corroding, are you saying a G260 body could corrode? I think it's just the air tube that could. Cheap to replace. The A700 air tube cannot replaced, so if it corrodes it's 10 times the price to "fix".

Of course neither should ever happen. But, sometimes accidents happen and maintenance is neglected for a bit longer than it should be...

Anyway, I'm not trying to argue that one is better. It's just my take on why someone would buy a "plastic" reg.

No, of course I'm not suggesting a plastic G260 body would corrode that would be silly, the point I was trying to make was that "anything' can corrode i.e any internal metal parts without proper post dive care.

I know you're not trying to argue Stuart, that's not you, not me either.

In the grand scheme of things I don't necessarily prefer one over the other, but on my fantasy dive vacation it's metal I'd take. A DS4 with Con14 seconds.

All good. Cheers.
F149C1D6-8FA9-4F08-AD4D-44B4F10F0959.jpeg

Oops, forgot I'd already posted this pic in this thread.

Last edited:
SCUBA: Scubapro D400 Reg

I found this if anyone is interested or if someone is willing to go pick it up for me and mail it to me that would be great. The guy will not ship, i already asked.

He won’t even mail in state? PM me if you want to buy it and he will mail it, I can forward it to you no problem.

I find the 109/156 to be the best looking SP seconds, 108 too, and they perform about as well as anything out there in a practical sense, delivering air easily when diving. The G250 is amazing delivering air as slowly as you want or as fast as you need, I think they could serve as a portable “iron lung” on the surface incredibly easy breathers under water.

Overall I prefer the “plastic” regs in everyday use and atomic in particular for their ease of repair and great performance. I like the seat saver feature and even the automatic flow control, it has worked flawlessly for me.

Two things I don’t like about the 109 family (maybe it’s the 108 family) is the weight for travel, I try to always travel as light as possible in weight and number of pieces to carry, it matters to me. The worst thing about the beautiful 109 is it’s susceptibility to cosmetic damage in use, at a point they will scratch and get dings that don’t adversely effect them but they lose some of the beauty, I have two like new MK5/109’s that are rebuilt and wonderful performers but they are to nice to dive. My “plasitc” Regs can take a beating and since they never had any beauty to lose they just keep on going without me noticing.

I like all SP Regs, spent over two hours underwater yesterday with a MK17/G250 but still prefer Atomic.

Im taking the Jetstream as my primary to Fiji on Thursday. The Mk25 EVO + G260 gets back up duty (again)

I left several front teeth at Turn 9 / Willow Springs International Speedway back in 2004 and the G260 is uncomfortable after a day or two of 3-4 dives a day. I think the overall length of the Poseidon second helps to spread the weight loading across my OEM teeth and limits loading on the front partial.
That’s my currently preferred theory anyway.

The best option for me is either a double hose where I don’t even have a second stage in my mouth, or a very low profile and relatively light second like the SP 108 for serious multi dive multi day trips. The Conshelf 21 is a solid option as well.

Overall I prefer the “plastic” regs in everyday use and atomic in particular for their ease of repair and great performance. I like the seat saver feature and even the automatic flow control, it has worked flawlessly for me.

On the G260 (and the R-series, IIRC), you can push the purge in halfway and twist it, which will lock the poppet back so there is no pressure on the seat. I.e. for travel/storage.

But, the seat is so easy to change (and cheap, I guess), is a seat saver feature really much of a big deal? In class, the instructor made it sound like it's no big deal at all. But then, he teaches to always tune to a minimum cracking pressure of 1.1", so....

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom