Morrison Springs is Dead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

just another thought...$10 says that this new "ADA accessible boardwalk, that goes out to the spring boil" will be the new local diving platform. I can see it now...exiting the cavern, and kids trying to jump on your head, lol!

But seriously, has anyone besides me been very close to being hit by someone jumping in at Madison?

I usually seriously hug the bottom at Madison, I don't want my valves smelling like rotten bunghole once someone pounces on one of them from above...

I usually seriously hug the bottom at Madison, I don't want my valves smelling like rotten bunghole once someone pounces on one of them from above...

:rofl3: OMG! you just painted an awful picture of :chocolate: on my manifold!

Parysa, you'll be able to gear up without getting sand on things because you'll be gearing up in a paved parking lot a quarter mile from the basin, then walking in the 95 degree heat wearing a 5mm wetsuit. You'll soon have springs of sweat boiling through your zipper. Then just as you enter the cool spring waters, you'll remember you left your camera on the roof of your car.

Don't worry Parysa, you will not be walking very far with your gear in 95 degree weather to dive Morrison Springs. My guess is it will not take very long before the state decides that it is "just too dangerous" to continue to allow scuba diving there.

Can someone, ANYONE, name me just ONE dive site in the south that has benefited from any involvement with government interests (local, state, federal) in the past 30 years?

When Morrison fell from private hands into the hands of the government, many people were excited that entry into the spring was now "free". Well, how "free" does it seem now? Don't hold out any hope that they will do a good job on making improvements. It doesn't work that way. State or county governance of Morrison springs will result in a kludged-up, compromised, try-to-suit-every-interest use policy. That happens with EVERY property that falls into the hands of the government. Government is the business of compromise. When half the folks want white, and the other half wants black, they compromise and give them grey, which suits no one.

Oh, I can't wait for my government health care. I am already sick enough. Government health care is likely all it will take to push me on to my just reward.

Phil Ellis

Don't worry Parysa, you will not be walking very far with your gear in 95 degree weather to dive Morrison Springs. My guess is it will not take very long before the state decides that it is "just too dangerous" to continue to allow scuba diving there.
I would not be surprised. And it's probably going to be because one idiot will do something stupid and get themselves hurt or killed and the gov't will freak and overreact like they always do.

When Morrison fell from private hands into the hands of the government, many people were excited that entry into the spring was now "free". Well, how "free" does it seem now? Don't hold out any hope that they will do a good job on making improvements. It doesn't work that way. State or county governance of Morrison springs will result in a kludged-up, compromised, try-to-suit-every-interest use policy. That happens with EVERY property that falls into the hands of the government.

I don't think the State will close Morrison. THey just wanted it in state hands. Now if that means telling the commercial operator that they shouldn't be diving there and making him sell the property, then allowing diving as a park, well that's just politicians talking out of both sides of their mouth.

Remember it's the state that funding part of the $800,000 being spent at Morrison.

It won't be closed. They might pave paradise and put up a parking lot, and a boardwalk over the boil though...

Now the negative is that they won't get it done on schedule and it will most likely be closed into the summer. (assumption).

Can someone, ANYONE, name me just ONE dive site in the south that has benefited from any involvement with government interests (local, state, federal) in the past 30 years?

How about "some" of the artificial reefs such as the Spiegel grove or the Oriskany? (Of course each I'm sure has some negatives also)

Peacock Springs state Park :)

OW divers are only allowed in Orange Grove.

I'm not sure if casual swimmers are allowed at either hole(?).

Cavern/Cave divers are allowed everywhere, we have really nice gearing benches, rather unobtrusive boardwalks that make entry without walking through swamps(no real beach access here like at Morrison), and entry is cheap($10 a day - or $40 for a year pass that gets you in just about any State Park for a year).

Royal Springs is free. The boardwalk makes entry possible, it'd be a hellova climb with gear otherwise. Its not the greatest site though...

Troy's boardwalk is helpfull and unobtrusive in the water. Its damned big, handicap accessible, but it doesn't hover out over the water, just gets you to it. Another that would be much tougher to access without the boardwalk... Entry is cheap.

The big issue I have with Morrison is the fact that they are adding a boardwalk when access is absolutely simple via the existing beach. Sure, maybe for non-divers a boardwalk is friendly, but over the boil? Gross.

Back
Top Bottom