Morrison Springs is Dead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Glad I got a picture of it in December before it flooded. Guess we need to get together one weekend and go hit cypress. I wish Morrisons was unknown, maybe they would have left it alone.
Morrison's unknown?

Go there on a summer weekend and you can walk across the basin without getting your feet wet!

My biggest issue is why they felt it necessary to clear out so many trees, and why blemish one of the most pristine basin views with an unnecessary wrap around boardwalk, especially one that goes over the boil!?

We'll be lucky if they leave the cavern room open.

Why is it that improvement always means cut down all the trees? Is it because the construciton types can't see "grade" if something is there?

...I guess they can go ahead with the boardwalk. The Choctawhatchee in one of her not so nice moments will take care of it.
It is a "perfect project." No matter how much public money you sink (well, maybe there's a little pun intended :)) into it, the river will take it out to sea from time to time and you'll need more. All they need to make it pluperfect is to have a youth ecology program attached to it, so the periodic rebuild is for the children!
But I don't want to get cynical about it, nooooooooo........
Rick

I do not like change...any kind of change. Therefore, any time I'm faced with the prospect of something that I like the way it is being changed, I have to step back and ask myself if I'm getting upset just because I am comfortable with the status quo or if it's because I truly feel that change would be detrimental. Well, with Morrisons, yeah, it'd be great to get the boats out of the basin and it would be nice to have a place to gear up without getting sand everywhere, but as for the rest of it...why mess with perfection? It took my breath away the first time we came around the bend and it was just laying out there all spread out. You rarely see those types of places in their natural state anymore...and now there's going to be one less. :(

According to one of the links you posted, they intend for the boardwalk to reach the boil... :/ :mooner:

DOH!

That's dumb/stupid/ and pointless all at once :shakehead: Oh well. Giant stride right onto the log :eyebrow:

As for the trees, someone correct me if Im wrong, but they havent touched the trees around the spring. The slash and burn project was outside of the old gate. Good for the trees, but wow that'll be a hike :11:

This is a great example of chronism and pork barrel spending in the government. Pittyfull

EDIT:

Oh, and how will this observation deck be built? Pillars going down through the ground? Plus, the water level has a full 10 ft swing at times...

Parysa, you'll be able to gear up without getting sand on things because you'll be gearing up in a paved parking lot a quarter mile from the basin, then walking in the 95 degree heat wearing a 5mm wetsuit. You'll soon have springs of sweat boiling through your zipper. Then just as you enter the cool spring waters, you'll remember you left your camera on the roof of your car.

The deck all the way out into the middle of the spring is a regional necessity so they won't have to get tennis elbow throwing their beer cans out that far into the water.

bvm, you might want to note that several active divers here DID get involved (or tried) in the process by attending meetings and offering advice and opinions as you suggested. The details of those meetings are in past threads. They were basically ignored.

Reef,

I did see or read any other threads on the matter, so this is the first I'd heard of any involvement prior to the beginning of construction.

Shame that is has to be that way on some things. I guess not enough people got involved. Seems the fisherman won this one.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom