Morrison Springs is Dead

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Parysa, you'll be able to gear up without getting sand on things because you'll be gearing up in a paved parking lot a quarter mile from the basin, then walking in the 95 degree heat wearing a 5mm wetsuit. You'll soon have springs of sweat boiling through your zipper. Then just as you enter the cool spring waters, you'll remember you left your camera on the roof of your car.
Thanks, so much, Uncle Sam.

Pretty strong condemnation from afar, there jethead. In fact, local divers went to the meetings... but the bottom line became, is, and will be forever, how much money can we suck from the public coffers and put into local pockets without going to jail?
If some semblance of propriety and responsility can be maintained in the process that's a bonus. If it's still a good place to dive when they get done it'll be an accident.
That's politics...
Rick

Rick,

My post was not meant to be a condemnation, but a suggestion. I'm sorry if my tone was misunderstood.

As I told Reef, I was not aware of the previous threads on the subject stating that anyone was involved in the process.

Looking at the bigger picture....the common man needs to step up all over this nation and GET INVOLVED in politics or this same slope we are on will only get steeper.

Which brings us to the words of the infamous Big Jim Folsom when he viewed the Alabama Criminal Justice Building for the first time.

"What a magnificent edifice - somebody's going to jail over that."

but the bottom line became, is, and will be forever, how much money can we suck from the public coffers and put into local pockets without going to jail?
Rick

I think the new facilities will be nice but hate to hear that they have wipped out all the trees. It was so beautiful around the spring.

Well, in all of these "improvements", it would be nice if they would put the cave back the way it was and unplug it. :(

Word.

By the way, at Gopher two weekends ago, Benthic and Perrone both found one of your arrows each. I found none - LOL! :D

Shame that is has to be that way on some things. I guess not enough people got involved. Seems the fisherman won this one.

People tried to get involved. They just didnt give much outreach to divers.

SeaYoda and I just happened upon the first onsite meeting (on a weekday). He went to a few others also, but I don't think they took any divers opinion for much of anything.

However, they did create a local Morrison Springs Improvement Committee, and several local fishermen were on it. Notice I said the word 'local', meaning that they live there, pay taxes there and vote there and this comittee was organized by an elected politician. So they are always going to serve their local interests over those of "tourists". But remember that us "tourist divers" do provide to the local economic impact. We buy gas, buy food, eat out, spend the night/camp, buy air fills, etc.

but... we don't vote there. (local politics).

or maybe some night divers with rip saws will saw off the pilings below the water level and float it down river

Nice to fantasize about but I hope divers don't actually do anything like that... it would be a quick and effective way to get scuba diving banned there altogether.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom