More news about Playa del Carmen

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

And do you get drink coupons to hand out to friends? Buddy....
Buddy?!? Have we met? :wink:

And no drink coupons here. Those are for paying Customers! I’m a freeloader when I fly. :cheers:

This story has widespread press coverage. It is a shame that there are repetitive episodes reported that lead one to question security and safety in Mexico. Regardless of the true risk, this is very bad publicity. There are many very good scuba destinations competing for the traveling diver.

There are also many things that are not reported.
For example, today a manta was found that accuses certain policeman by name, (and with photos) of cooperating with criminals in exchange for money. It may or may not be truthful, but I would these officers are investigated and dismissed if true.

Fear among policemen

COZUMEL, March 7 .- The contents of the blanket could be the primary factor to understand the attacks against police booths labeled with the logo of the Special Operations Group (GOE), all under the present municipal administration, cycle where the placement of blankets, in the most recent police officers of this group were blamed for having links with narco-criminals.
Within the preventive police ranks of the municipality of Cozumel, has permeated the fear, before the placement of the blanket in the Colonia Centro, in whose content they accuse directly with serious charges to middle managers of the current Preventive Municipal Police, of being linked with groups of the underworld of the drug trade on the island of Cozumel, lavishing privileges with allowing them to operate certain groups, but hardening the deal with others who do not pay the established fee.
In the hillside of the Municipal Preventive Police they have for fact that the attacks to the cabins of police happened months, obey to the displeasure of some criminal group and relate the reasons written in the text of the blanket whose content described: "To the citizenship in gral. And competent authorities.
This is so that they know and know who is responsible for our insecurity on our island and the cause of the growth of robberies and the increase of shooters on the island. all that happens aorita that the group of police of what is formed by policemen named "Reynaldo" nicknamed "toad" Police of what is formed by the code names "Jabali" by the commander Ivan Dzul and the police Manuel Antonio Juarez All they commanded by the commander 'Niñon' with key 'SIMI' are the people in charge of the square of Cozumel are those who decide, who works and who does not. They do not process anyone because everyone takes their money and charges them for letting them work and the same with the commander's group (they put a picture) they grab handles just to take money out and align them to charge them and let them work and not process them or turn them over to the corresponding Authorities. So much that they have come to charge 50 thousand to 70 thousand for freeing the person with arms or drugs and when the person does not pay a fee or does not line up with the group they plant drugs, bullets and grenades to accuse the person this is so they can take action on the matter. Including clandestine Att CDC. " bullets and HAST grenades to accuse the person this is for them to take action on the matter. Including clandestine Att CDC. " bullets and HAST grenades to accuse the person this is for them to take action on the matter. Including clandestine Att CDC. "
So much has advanced the fear that they are on the watch every moment, especially at night so as to be alert for any other attack that may arise to any of these modules of the Municipal Police of Cozumel. Especially to those labeled with the Base GOE caption, since not all the police officers belong to said group, only a small number of agents who have never achieved important arrests to narcomenudistas.
In the short cycle of the PAN-PRD government in the coastal municipality, are counted ten attacks to different houses, in addition to the partial burning of a patrol the year before the door of a mechanical workshop located next to the primary school " Sara María Rivero. " On that occasion, the attackers called themselves "Cartel Medellín", by means of a cardboard abandoned in the place, although the authorship of the blanket placed at dawn on Tuesday, the authors signed it with the acronym CDC, qualified as "Cozumel Cartel", group unknown until now because in the municipality of Cozumela, the authorities have assured that there are no drug cartels. What is a fact is the existence of several local and independent groups working simultaneously in the sale of drugs.

I just edited my post above to add this:

Just confirmed by a reliable source here - the Consulate office in Playa is closed because the Consulate can't get to work as she LIVES in Cozumel and there is a ban on using the ferry for Government employees right now. So it is not a NEW security threat, it is just the continuation of the ferry precautions.

Has there been more security and police presence at the ferry terminals?

Has there been more security and police presence at the ferry terminals?
Yes, military style patrols with federal officials. Saw one go by my house today loaded with men in helmets, camo gear and artillery. But that's mostly just for show, I think. What they need to do, IMO, is root out the corruption that is behind all of this and allowing the drug/crime rings to operate. There has been a HUGE increase in robberies/break-ins/thefts in the past few years. I keep all of our gates pad-locked now, even when we are at home. It is all connected, I think. Problem isn't as bad as Playa del Carmen or Cancun, but it's definitely not the Cozumel I first came to 15 years ago.

A report from the Associated Press:

US bars govt workers from Mexican resort of Playa del Carmen

Seems there was another threat received on Wednesday.

That may well be, however it appears that the US Department of State has not updated their advisories:

Mexico Travel Advisory

"Quintana Roo state – Level 2: Exercise Increased Caution

Exercise increased caution due to crime.

According to Government of Mexico statistics, the state experienced an increase in homicide rates compared to the same period in 2016. While most of these homicides appeared to be targeted, criminal organization assassinations, turf battles between criminal groups have resulted in violent crime in areas frequented by U.S. citizens. Shooting incidents injuring or killing bystanders have occurred.

There are no restrictions on U.S. government employees for travel in Quintana Roo state, which includes tourist areas such as: Cancun, Cozumel, Playa del Carmen, Tulum, and the Riviera Maya."

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom