Trip Report My Review Of Ghost Divers At Tajma Ha Cenote

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

That's pretty comprensible overall to me. I don't get the second to last red slashed circle. No giving thumbs up while holding a microphone?

Milking cows forbidden. :D

I

It's a stalactite, something Florida cave divers wouldn't recognize. :D

On the way out of Xu-Lo I was leading our way back out a restriction. I reached out to use a stout looking stalagmite to pull myself through it, so I wouldn't have to fin in a sideways unstable position. As I start to pull on it, it just comes off in my hands. This thing was like 6" in diameter and probably a foot high, and I am holding it in my hand thing "Oh god did I just break something that took a thousand years to grow?" :eek:

So I put it back on its base you know "Maybe no one will notice." o_O

Once we get back to the surface I mentioned it to the guide and he laughed. He had the same experience going through, and said it was probably broken by one of the original explorers to make it easier to get through that restriction. And everyone since then has done the same thing, put it back if they knock it down.

To those readers who think there are "easy cenotes" and "hard cenotes" I will mention that when you do a "cenote dive" you dive within the light zone because that's what a CAVERN is.

Regardless of what writers may write, there is no such thing as "diving in the darkness."

It makes no difference if the cenote diver is a DM and has "night diving experience"; the idea that you will be diving away from the CAVERN zone is incorrect. I know some people feel jitters when diving in caverns but one thing is a person's opinion, another thing is reality.

In Mexico, if you are within reach of the GOLDEN LINE, then you are in the CAVERN zone. If wou choose to venture away from the golden line, that's a different discussion.

Safe dives, y'all!

In Mexico, if you are within reach of the GOLDEN LINE, then you are in the CAVERN zone. If wou choose to venture away from the golden line, that's a different discussion.
This same site has gold line that runs into cave. Gold line merely means a path to an exit, has nothing to do with distinguishing between cave or cavern. That said the few dives Ive done down there most don’t even have gold line or regularly spaced directional arrows with distances marked on them like you would see in Florida.

This same site has gold line that runs into cave. Gold line merely means a path to an exit, has nothing to do with distinguishing between cave or cavern.

Any gold line in the cave zone is being actively pulled and relined with knotted #18 cave line. Gold line is only in the cavern zone in Mexico.

This same site has gold line that runs into cave. Gold line merely means a path to an exit, has nothing to do with distinguishing between cave or cavern. That said the few dives Ive done down there most don’t even have gold line or regularly spaced directional arrows with distances marked on them like you would see in Florida.
This is not correct at all.

At Taj Maha, only the cavern has gold line and even the white cave line was replaced in August 2020. Moreover, the CAVE line starts about 20m/60ft of more from the entrance and does not run near the CAVERN line (which is golden) at all. There is no way in heaven a "cenote diver" will ever grab the cave line mistakenly; in order to do so, the "cenote diver" will have to intentionally leave the cavern line (golden), kick quite a bit and find the cave line (white).

You should familiarize yourself with the CREER Line Committee and the work they are doing (link below).

Also, if you want to understand navigation within caves in Mexico, read the article below.

By the way, I dove Taj in July 2021.

CREER LINEAS – OFFICIAL WEBSITE OF THE RIVIERA MAYA LINE COMMITTEE

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom