Moderators posting, ethics and site Terms of Service

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
being-a-moderator-moderator-demotivational-poster-1266278439.jpg

I think the legitimacy of the complaint here is that a few of the moderators treat people with very little respect, show a tremendous amount of arrogance, and use their moderator privileges in an unfair manner. It discourages an open and honest flow of ideas which is apparently less important than their status.

Why not simply allow non-moderators to /ignore moderators posting outside the scope of their responsibilities?

If they're not posting as moderators, why can't we ignore them?

You can add anyone you like to your personal ignore list.

Unless something has changed recently, this is not true. My understanding is that most 'staff members' cannot be put on ignore... mods, subforum leaders, etc.

If they're not posting as moderators, why can't we ignore them?

[-]As far as I know you can't add them yourself but a moderator can put another moderator on someone's ignore list. So if that's what you want then request it. [/-]

A ScubaBoard Staff Message...

update: we tested the above and it is indeed disabled.

Several people have said that they find some of the moderators arrogant. This is bound to happen although I believe such opinions are sometimes based upon misunderstandings that were never resolved, which is unfortunate.

Nevertheless, if a moderator ever moderates something and you don't like the call then you are entitled and encouraged to ask for 2nd opinion. Simply report the moderator using the REPORT button as you would any other user and say that you disagree with the call and would like to have a different moderator take a look at it.

When these kinds of requests are made we ALWAYS do it. It may result in the same outcome but we *always* do it when someone requests it.

R..

Last edited:
Y'all need a "Hug" button . . . just sayin'.

Several people have said that they find some of the moderators arrogant. This is bound to happen although I believe such opinions are sometimes based upon misunderstandings that were never resolved, which is unfortunate.

I know that I am most likely still on the ignore list of at least one moderator, because of the title of the PM in my inbox, early in Jan of this year. I did not read the PM 'cause I really don't care.

There have been times in the past where I thought I was already on "that" ignore list, because relevant questions by me were ignored. :shakehead:

I do not use the "ignore" function, although I do ignore most of a number of members and moderators opinions.

I have made ignorant posts and I think I respond fairly well when that ignorance is "proved." Wouldn't it be considered arrogant for a moderator to ignore valid questions about their own ignorant posts?

My "old" post below was arrogantly ignored, IMHO. :idk:

I feel that is just one of quite a few negative, ignorant posts with regards to Hawaii diving, and I will continue to correct/challenge them when they happen, even if the author does not see/learn from the corrections/challenges. :coffee:

halemanō;5267449:
a mod:
It's sad . . . five years ago, when I first dove Molokini crater, it was like being in the bottom of God's kaleidoscope. Each year we have gone, there seem to be fewer fish and more dead coral, and now we no longer bother to go out there. The shore diving is just as good, and far less expensive. Oh, and BTW, it's not me getting jaded. There are studies of reef fish off Maui that show exactly what I am talking about.

I would appreciate links to the above mentioned studies. My quick web searches just now only comes up with one recent study that shows stable coral cover % at Molokini from '99 - '06. I find no study of Molokini fish numbers.

http://www.hi.sierraclub.org/maui/pdf/MauiReefDeclines.pdf

halemanō;5709034:
I know that I am most likely still on the ignore list of at least one moderator, because of the title of the PM in my inbox, early in Jan of this year. I did not read the PM 'cause I really don't care.

There have been times in the past where I thought I was already on "that" ignore list, because relevant questions by me were ignored. :shakehead:

I do not use the "ignore" function, although I do ignore most of a number of members and moderators opinions.

I have made ignorant posts and I think I respond fairly well when that ignorance is "proved." Wouldn't it be considered arrogant for a moderator to ignore valid questions about their own ignorant posts?

My "old" post below was arrogantly ignored, IMHO. :idk:

I feel that is just one of quite a few negative, ignorant posts with regards to Hawaii diving, and I will continue to correct/challenge them when they happen, even if the author does not see/learn from the corrections/challenges. :coffee:

Oh, snap; why are you trying to hijack this thread to YOUR problem?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom