Missed deco stop, lock out?

If you miss a deco stop and surface, will your dive computer lock you out?

• I don't know

Votes: 7 4.8%
  • Yes

Votes: 53 36.6%
  • No, if no, please list the brand, and model, if relevant, below

Votes: 85 58.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Shearwater Perdix AI. Same as above.

I read the available online manuals (or PDFs) of a great number of dive computers, and it was one of a long list of reasons why I bought specifically that computer.

Quite frankly, I even sometimes wonder why these other computers even bother to exist at all . :gas:

I prefer to have the choice and to be able to think by myself, instead of having a computer telling me how to think and act.

:)

And that's why I love the Shearwater.. It's a thinking man's computer.. I'm buy one for my wife and will have the Veo3's as back up or to lone out to friends and family that don't have a computer..

Jim..

I have a petrel 2 and a mares puck pro

Wife has 2x mares puck pro

Puck pro will lock you out and go into guare mode for 24 hours but you can reset it if you really want to.

Those of you that have dive computers that lockout but allow reset, when reset does it retain your nitrogen load for the next dive should you chose to do one? Or are you now diving a blank slate?

If the computer reset wipes the nitrogen load clean this would seem the potientially more dangerous feature as opposed to no lockout.

Those of you that have dive computers that lockout but allow reset, when reset does it retain your nitrogen load for the next dive should you chose to do one? Or are you now diving a blank slate?

If the computer reset wipes the nitrogen load clean this would seem the potientially more dangerous feature as opposed to no lockout.

Sherwood computers are a full reset including nitrogen load. The function is intended for Dive Shop Rental Fleet use, not computer/user error.

The manual actually only alludes to the potential, but you can only get the actual button combo by contacting Sherwood with dealer status.

Appears Mares erases all information, a clean dive. This could be potentially very dangerous, perhaps particularly after a missed deco stop violation.

Appears Mares erases all information, a clean dive. This could be potentially very dangerous, perhaps particularly after a missed deco stop violation.
Yes this is the case.
I have used it once when i locked out on a deco dive.
Even worse case and i surface with group Z loadings with a 6hr safety stop i would be back on group A so clear. But computer would still require another 18 hrs of lockout. I needed the computer again the next morning had been out for 13 hours. So performed a reset.

This computer was my backup and woukd not condone doing this with your primary comouter

Suppose you are shore diving and not actually making a safety stop but gradually becoming shallower, will a Mares Puck Pro lock you you out or will it know? Would it think you have the wrong ascent rate?

Suppose you are shore diving and not actually making a safety stop but gradually becoming shallower, will a Mares Puck Pro lock you you out or will it know? Would it think you have the wrong ascent rate?
It will not lock you out for missed safety stop or for missing its suggested deep stop. It will only lock you out for actual deco stops.

To expand on a recent thread discussing "light deco", I would like to know if your computer locks you out, in violation gauge mode, for a period of time, if you miss a deco stop and surface.

I dive an Oceanic VT3 as my primary computer and either an Oceanic Geo 2 or a Dive Rite Nitek Q as backup. All 3 computers would lock me out for a deco violation, my answer to the poll is simply, yes.

Many of us know that Shearwater computers do not lock you out following a deco violation. I'm interested if there are other computers that do not lock you out.

Thanks, Craig

From the COBALT GUIDE: DIVING: DECOMPRESSION: VIOLATIONS
A Decompression Violation will result in this warning screen (click and hold to view) being displayed after a dive and whenever the Cobalt is activated, for 24 hours. The Cobalt will not enter a "lock out" or "gauge" mode, and will continue to display all dive data, but will display prominent warnings that you should not dive following a Decompression Violation.

upload_2018-9-23_12-47-8.png

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom