Missed deco stop, lock out?

If you miss a deco stop and surface, will your dive computer lock you out?

• I don't know

Votes: 7 4.8%
  • Yes

Votes: 53 36.6%
  • No, if no, please list the brand, and model, if relevant, below

Votes: 85 58.6%

• Total voters

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Group W. (They have a special bench for you to sit on when you do that.)
At least you get to have fun filling out the forms and playing with the pencils on the bench.

Essentially the tables lock you out when you skip deco because the answer can no longer be calculated.

ITYM the tables lock you out when you skip deco because the diver is in terrible pain and is unable to dive.

Suppose you are shore diving and not actually making a safety stop but gradually becoming shallower, will a Mares Puck Pro lock you you out or will it know? Would it think you have the wrong ascent rate?

Dunno about puck, cressi leo built on the same deco model, will count your gradual ascent from about 7 metres on as an extended safety stop. It may even never show the SS icon. To the other part of your question, if you're near SS depth it will never lock you out because it's no-limit depth. If you're talking gradual ascent from depth, they only lock you out for missed mandatory decompression and only after you reach the surface.

My Eon will lock up if I ignore the deco ceiling for 3 minutes

Strange in all the deco dives its been on, it's never locked me out once...

Funny that.

Oh and I have a Perdix. Set to Low conservatism 45/95. Me and the Eon were hanging around for it to clear..

But all Suunto's are conservative right...

I voted no, since my primary computer is Perdix. My backup, former primary, is Mares Matrix that will lock out for 24h and revert to gauge mode. Minimums for missed deco stop is more than 1m for 3 minutes.

Funny that.

Oh and I have a Perdix. Set to Low conservatism 45/95. Me and the Eon were hanging around for it to clear..

Hi Martin,

Funny thing you have never ignored a deco ceiling, neither have I.

Most are familiar with Suunto RGBM, few know about Fused RGBM and the P-2 personal adjustment that makes the algorithm quite liberal. Most also do not know that the first dive using Buhlmann ZH-L16C with GF will be relatively conservative and that it will become significantly more liberal on repetitive dives. I would love to hear how your Eon Steel does vs. Buhlmann on a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th dive per day. I would imagine they would be much closer.

A little knowledge is a powerful thing.

Very best, Craig

Funny that.

Haven’t you heard? It is a quantum computer. It is both too aggressive and too conservative at the same time.

I have managed to bend a Zoop. It had a ceiling of 7m when I reached my 6m stop on a 60m Trimix Dive using two deco gases. It had been set to air for the dive and was the backup to a Trimix computer. Since I had been on deco mixes for the previous 20 odd metres it was not well imformed.

If I had been doing backgas deco it would have worked well enough, but that is a feature you pay extra for.

More annoying is setting a Helo2 into gauge mode by accident.

I would love to hear how your Eon Steel does vs. Buhlmann on a 2nd, 3rd, and 4th dive per day. I would imagine they would be much closer.

The Short answer.

Over 3 days and 10 x 60 minute dives, some below 40m some with small deco (less than 10 mins back gas) and one particularly nasty dive that would have triggered all of Suunto's wrist slaps and required everyone to bail early most abandoning their SS - both computers were pretty much even.

There was NDL difference mid dives - Perdix having more. Both had more NDL remaining than dive time needed

Perdix increases NDL sooner as you get shallower

Both entered Deco at roughly the same time within 30 secs

Both required same Deco

With Perdix SS time set to Auto both gave similar SS times often in excess of 3min

The Eon Display and information layout is light years ahead of Perdix Screen and layout in Rec or in Tech mode

I know controversial - SBer's will have me burnt at the stake as a heretic

The Eon Display and information layout is light years ahead of Perdix Screen and layout in Rec or in Tech mode
I know controversial - SBer's will have me burnt at the stake as a heretic

Indeed, the EON dive computers have a very beautiful screen, but in Canada you pay about 500.00 more to get an EON Steel AI rather then a Perdix AI, so it comes down to economics as well. :)

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom