Miss Scuba Manners....What's your unwritten dive etiquette rule?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

When you see obviously inappropriate, damaging behavior underwater, I guess the best thing to do is to talk to the divemaster or the dive op manager about it privately and hope he/she/they address it with the party(ies) involved. They are the individuals in authority and we are not the scuba police; but it is difficult when you witness someone harming the reef or tormenting an animal underwater, you want to intervene and make it stop immediately.

If I was walking down a street and saw someone viciously beating a dog, I would probably shout "Hey stop that right now or I'll call the police!" But maybe I should just keep my mouth shut and call the police and hope that they come quickly and actually do something about it. But it would be difficult to walk away and listen to the dog screaming - and hard to know which is the smartest (or safest) thing to do.

I would probably shout AND call the police, and keep shouting - even though I am not in authority and I am not the animal police, but that's just me. Are things any different underwater? You can't shout underwater so that is why you might react by touching someone, without really meaning to be aggressive (to stop his/her aggressive behavior toward the reef and animals.)

I well remember a time when a divemaster took the initiative to correct me underwater about my damaging behavior. I felt very bad about it but I didn't like being chastised, it was embarrassing and uncomfortable. Yet I am grateful that he was brave enough to call me out and work with me to change the behavior. He was the person in authority so it was clearly his job - but the divemaster isn't always around - or may not be willing to intervene.

It was during our first trip to Cozumel. We were newbie divers and I still sometimes struggled with buoyancy issues, especially during conditions of strong current. I didn't even realize it but, while blundering around down there, I had inadvertently hit a coral head with my tank and knocked off a piece of coral a few inches long. The divemaster was very unhappy with me. He took my arm and brought me back to the scene of the crime. He showed me the broken coral and the damaged spot where it had been and pointed to my tank. He kept repeating the signals until he was certain that I had gotten the message, even though no words spoken.

He talked to me about it later on the boat, again stressing the seriousness of my careless actions; but he also offered to help me with buoyancy - and he did. I became a better, more skilled, and more careful diver because of him. He was just a very young, local Mexican divemaster working for the dive operation at a big resort. I was the paying customer and he could have lost his tip and maybe even jeopardized his job - if I had gotten angry and decided to make trouble - but it was more important to him to protect the reefs that he loved, and he taught me an important lesson.

The young divemaster was Martin Perera and we were happy to come back and dive with him again and again. He later founded the popular Dive with Martin scuba op in Cozumel. The dive op is still there but sadly Martin is gone; he died of pneumonia in 2006. I remember him as friendly, funny, skilled, and hard-working. Mostly I remember how passionately he felt about protecting the underwater world and how he instilled that passion and protectiveness in me.

So again, what's the best thing to do when you see inappropriate behavior underwater? Probably speak privately to the divemaster later, like I said, but it is not always a clear-cut, easy situation; especially when you have been taught the right way to behave by someone like Martin.

Home Page
In memory of:
Martin Aguilar Perera
October 1966 - November 2006
My life was the sea, the flora and the fauna from these depths, I will take care
of them and I will defend them along with you wherever I am.
Thanks to continue diving with Martin.
Martin Lives.

Last edited:
Honestly - I would prefer that you approach me personally topside and probe with open ended questions.
Like I noticed you were squeezing that octopus - does that hurt them at all?
And let me answer... Then probe some more to get your point across.

My knee jerk reaction to underwater intervention is - That is not a good idea in any way shape or form - the message will get lost...
Physical approaches are generally the last resort for a life threatening act - and if I think my life is in danger - I will react with Extreme Prejudice and the results may not be helpful to anyone.

So I think - approach me first - with a calm demeanor you may get what you want - if you don't you have every right to go to the DM or Captain or even the police if you feel the need for further resolution to the issue/behavior.

:D

what's the best thing to do when you see inappropriate behavior underwater?
What's the best thing to do when you see inappropriate behavior? I know that the trend is "mind your own fecking business", but I have a problem with that. Many, many years ago, I and my mates witnessed a pretty ugly beating on the street. For a while we did like everyone else: standing dumb, thinking "why don't someone DO something?" until it dawned on us that we, too were 'someone'. We intervened and got a woman and a child out of a situation which probably was pretty terrible to them. It wasn't particularly heroic, but it taught me something: I am 'someone'. I've carried that experience with me, and it has caused me to intervene on unacceptable behavior later. I like to believe that it has made a small difference to someone at least once.

Sure, the Internet tough guys may shoot their crap about how hard they're going to be if you, or I, or someone else, does this or that. Until I'm physically hurt by intervening when I see unacceptable behavior, I'll continue to intervene. "It takes a village..."

Honestly - I would prefer that you approach me personally topside and probe with open ended questions.
Like I noticed you were squeezing that octopus - does that hurt them at all?
And let me answer... Then probe some more to get your point across.

My knee jerk reaction to underwater intervention is - That is not a good idea in any way shape or form - the message will get lost...
Physical approaches are generally the last resort for a life threatening act - and if I think my life is in danger - I will react with Extreme Prejudice and the results may not be helpful to anyone.

So I think - approach me first - with a calm demeanor you may get what you want - if you don't you have every right to go to the DM or Captain or even the police if you feel the need for further resolution to the issue/behavior.

:D

I took a course at work called Crucial Conversations and they advised us to speak directly with the person involved after emotions have calmed down and in a non-confrontational manner. Discuss the issues and try to educate and persuade. I will try to remember that.

Storker - does that include intervening underwater (I did assume physical intervention)? If it does I disagree.

Storker - does that include intervening underwater (I did assume physical intervention)?
Probably. I haven't been in an underwater situation that required intervention (yet...), so it's hard to say in advance. It also depends on how you define "physical intervention". I don't think I'd ever rip someone's mask off, but I might well 'drift' between someone and the wildlife they're harassing, or 'accidentally' shine my 1200 lumen torch in their eyes. I might also 'accidentally' struggle with my otherwise fairly decent buoyancy control or limb coordination...

What's the best thing to do when you see inappropriate behavior? I know that the trend is "mind your own fecking business", but I have a problem with that. Many, many years ago, I and my mates witnessed a pretty ugly beating on the street. For a while we did like everyone else: standing dumb, thinking "why don't someone DO something?" until it dawned on us that we, too were 'someone'. We intervened and got a woman and a child out of a situation which probably was pretty terrible to them. It wasn't particularly heroic, but it taught me something: I am 'someone'. I've carried that experience with me, and it has caused me to intervene on unacceptable behavior later. I like to believe that it has made a small difference to someone at least once.

Sure, the Internet tough guys may shoot their crap about how hard they're going to be if you, or I, or someone else, does this or that. Until I'm physically hurt by intervening when I see unacceptable behavior, I'll continue to intervene. "It takes a village..."

While I tend to agree with the thought, save any physical intervention for the surface. A physical altercation underwater could go in so many unexpected, perilous ways. While squeezing an octopuses testicals is a dasterdly act, it probably shouldn't result in a death sentence. Save it for the surface, then have at it. At least worst case is hurt feelings or a bloody nose. Safety first. :D

So I guess the question is - Does Road Rage or Diving Rage - get the point across?
I dont think it does... Random banging into someone is not going to tell me that I need to stop squeezing the octopus - and I dont think there is a hand signal for that one... :D

So the only other way for you to stop me from being a dope is to touch, grab or otherwise molest me to stop what I am doing - again not learning any lesson other than you are now in my space... And so I say again - I think topside is the place for that discussion / intervention / behavior modification.

As far as I know squeezing an octopus is not against the law but it could be frowned upon by the DM or Captain and they can refuse to let me dive or not...
I dont believe that should be assigned to the Scuba Police...

+1 ADivingBel - it would not let me like that post...

I don't want to start an argument - I believe in being friendly with posts. But with all the stressors on coral reefs these days, the last thing that the ocean needs is divers who have no respect for the animals we profess to love and to want to see. We, as ocean enthusiasts, have a moral obligation to protect and respect the environment we enter, which includes not touching, moving, banging against, or otherwise disturbing critters (including coral.) We do have some impact just by being there, but we should do everything we can to do no harm. And we should encourage others to do the same. Sometimes that encouragement needs to be after the dive, on the boat, in a friendly way "You probably don't realize this, but you ....." and if it's extreme behavior, then it needs to happen as an intervention underwater.

So the rec diver who plays with an octopus in Hawaii, likely stressing it but certainly not up to the level of deliberate infliction of pain/injury, is committing a grievous sin...even though anyone who wants to (boat's rules depending, of course) can stuff it in a pocket and take it home to make poke? Does not compute.

The entire ocean is not a marine sanctuary - get some perspective.

---------- Post added February 12th, 2015 at 01:38 PM ----------

Like the 'viciously beating a dog' hypothetical above, what you describe and any marine life interaction I've heard described in here are not in the same ballpark. Knowing when to intervene is at least as important as being willing to do so when the situation warrants it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom