“No masks that cover your nose” rules are driving me bonkers!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

They are using "no masks" because of mammalian dive reflex.....

that is their rationale... logical or not...

when submerged in water, with nose covered, there is an instinct to breath through your mouth... there is more to it (some of it is knee jerk response to litigation).

I suggest if you really want to know, obtain a copy of the NYS Lifeguard Manual (or ask a guard to explain it).

I might be able to give you the answer in the future (when the book is here)...

There is no mention of a prohibition of mask wearing in the Red Cross Lifeguarding Manual; there is a lot of discussion about how to use mask, fins and a snorkel while lifeguarding, and using a mask for administration of oxygen.

SeaRat

They are using "no masks" because of mammalian dive reflex.....

that is their rationale... logical or not...

when submerged in water, with nose covered, there is an instinct to breath through your mouth... there is more to it (some of it is knee jerk response to litigation).

I suggest if you really want to know, obtain a copy of the NYS Lifeguard Manual (or ask a guard to explain it).

I might be able to give you the answer in the future (when the book is here)...
This is not my understanding of the mammalian diving reflex. Here's an overview:

Introduction​

The diving reflex commonly referred to as the mammalian dive reflex, diving bradycardia, and the diving response is a protective, multifaceted physiologic reaction that occurs in mammals including humans in response to water submersion. Aspects of the dive reflex were first described in 1786 by Edmund Goodwyn; however, it would take until an 1870 publication by Paul Bert for the physiologic adaptations to be recognized. The dive reflex is believed to aid in the conservation of oxygen stores in mammals by initiating several specific physiologic changes during aquatic immersion. When a human holds their breath and submerges in water, the face and nose become wet which in turn causes bradycardia, apnea, and increased peripheral vascular resistance; these three main physiologic changes are collectively referred to as the diving reflex. The cause of increased peripheral resistance is thought to redistribute blood to the vital organs while limiting oxygen consumption by non-essential muscle groups. In addition to vascular resistance, bradycardia is initiated to decrease the work of the heart and further limit unnecessary oxygen consumption. Overall, the dive reflex is an innate multi-system physiologic response present in all vertebrates that functions to preserve oxygen stores during times of water immersion.

What they may be referring to is known as "cold shock," whereby in jumping into cold water, there is a reflexive gasp. If this occurs with the face underwater, the person will inhale water. I've cautioned many, many people that when entering cold water unprotected, not to allow their head to go underwater initially. Once the cold shock has dissipated, it is more safe to put one's face underweter, but initially it is important not to do so.
More Than Just A Gasp

Cold shock is a lot more complicated and dangerous than just gasping for air. The instant that cold water makes contact with your skin, you experience a number of potentially lethal shock responses.

These responses are intense and completely involuntary, which means they're totally out of your control. You can't wish them away any more than you can mentally control your heartbeat.
I think the pools which have this "no mask" requirement have a fundamental misunderstanding of the physiology of both the mammalian diving reflex and cold shock.

SeaRat

I think the pools which have this "no mask" requirement have a fundamental misunderstanding of the physiology of both the mammalian diving reflex and cold shock.
Exactly, and litigation has strengthened the misunderstanding....

Think I suggested that in my comment above...

No “breath holding?!”

That’s a big part of being a swimmer!

Our swim team, swimming underwater the length of a 50 yard pool was part of training.

In my days as a lifeguard I was to enforce this rule at some places and not others. Nobody ever told me why. It was just a rule I enforced.

At one place where it was allowed a child was using one and when he came back to the surface the mask slipped down over his mouth and nose and filled with water. I had to jump in and pull the mask off of him. It was one of those old style oval masks that would hold a lot of water.
Is this the reason those masks were banned? After that, I always thought that was the reason.

Such a stark difference in Europe because the kids are really encouraged to take risks. The playgrounds for five year olds have them climbing walls and swinging from ropes. This mask thing strikes me as being way too neurotic and anxious.

Back
Top Bottom