“No masks that cover your nose” rules are driving me bonkers!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

While nice for you, it does not help the OP find a place to practice in the pool.
I'm just sympathizing with him, having known of the situation. I'm sure you know not every post on SB directly answers or helps with an OP's question. You've been here considerably longer than I. Like when I joined in 2007 and asked about shell collecting and got thoroughly blasted with opinions instead of answers.

Not a good option... but you could try these....
Your nose control will become very good....

C$7.18 31%OFF | Anti-Fog Men Women Swimming Goggles Comfortable Silicone Large Frame Swim Glasses Waterproof UV Protection Swim Mask

C$9.15 30%OFF | Big Frame Professional Swimming Waterproof Soft Silicone Glasses Swim Eyewear Anti-Fog Men Women Goggles for Men Women

According to my daughter who is a State Lifeguard (manager level), tell them you have a glass eye. They then can't limit you from wearing a full mask...

As an ex-guard and WSI, I always hated looking for glass eyes on the bottom of pool but they look cool in my marble collection. Cateyes, this one is a human eye! Yuk!

Try something like this:

I think that if you want to practice swimming skills/water comfort, lap swimming with swim goggles and a snorkel is a fantastic way. In fact, I recommend it to scuba students who are nervous about mask remoaval and replacement.

Your pool's restrictions sounds absurd, however in modern US liability culture, I can perhaps slightly understand where they're coming from, even if I don't agree.
The other option would be for us to find an out-of-the-way spot at the lake with no designated swimming or lifeguard, which is also not safer!
When you're scuba-diving, there are almost never going to be any life-guards of any sort around, other than perhaps your dive-buddy.
When did they start banning masks everywhere? Am I going insane or is this relatively new?
I've never heard of it before, but I suppose I've not been in a similar environment for some time, or tried using a scuba-mask in a swimming pool with a lifeguard on duty.

Really stupid weird thing is .... You can use googles and a nose pincher. Fracking retrograde.

Many lifeguards are using those rules to prevent Shallow Water Blackout(SWB) from breath-holding too long. Many people have died in seemingly safe pools and beaches that you can almost stand up in due to SWB. In most rules cases, the restriction is required by the facility's insurance provider and the lifeguard is just enforcing it so don't blame them. You can use the search feature above to learn all about SWB and how silent but deadly it is.
Yeah, I figured there was some kind of explanation like this. It's just so shocking to me as someone who has always associated lakes and pools as places you would naturally go to free dive/hold your breath and go down deep. Like that's part of the experience?? Thanks for the information.

When you're scuba-diving, there are almost never going to be any life-guards of any sort around, other than perhaps your dive-buddy.
Well obviously, but when you're just looking for a random lake to go to and you don't live near any of them or know where the non-lifeguarded swimmable spots are (that are accessible and where you won't get kicked out immediately by a park ranger or have specific dangers), you don't know what options are even around. I just mean that it's annoying that in keeping me from doing the "unsafe" thing of snorkeling with a mask on at the populated public beach, it makes it necessary to go somewhere with (potentially) additional risk factors, know what I mean?

I was a lifeguard for years, so I could see how it would be worrisome to not be able to see each swimmer, I don't blame the person whose job it is to enforce the predetermined rules

you don't know what options are even around.
Perhaps try looking around for area shore-dive scuba parks. This site is somewhat inactive, but it seems to have a lot of the local dive-spots in my area.

I suspect "dive parks" or typical scuba-diving spots are less likely to care.

We never had any limitations like this back when I was a lifeguard in lakes and pools. I guess freediving got trendy enough to cause problems.

I posted here previously about working with my partner on some basic water skills to make sure she felt prepared for her Open Water course. I specifically wanted to practice breathing and swimming with a mask and snorkel.
Is she signed up for the course yet? It's worth asking if you can use the shop pool for this before the class starts. Some shops also have open hours where divers can practice for a small fee.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom