“No masks that cover your nose” rules are driving me bonkers!!!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can you get a mask with the rubber nose and just cut it off?
My motto is, "You can do anything once."

You might want to look at what sealing surfaces will exist to keep water out of the eye area after you remove the nose.

My motto is, "You can do anything once."

You might want to look at what sealing surfaces will exist to keep water out of the eye area after you remove the nose.

I can do many things more than once and I didn’t learn how by not getting water in my nose 😆

That rule is the most pathetic thing I’ve ever heard of: “no breath holding .”

Can you get a mask with the rubber nose and just cut it off?
You can, but the mask won’t seal against the face, and you’ll end up with a mask full of water.

SeaRat

This is not my understanding of the mammalian diving reflex. Here's an overview:

What they may be referring to is known as "cold shock," whereby in jumping into cold water, there is a reflexive gasp. If this occurs with the face underwater, the person will inhale water. I've cautioned many, many people that when entering cold water unprotected, not to allow their head to go underwater initially. Once the cold shock has dissipated, it is more safe to put one's face underweter, but initially it is important not to do so.

I think the pools which have this "no mask" requirement have a fundamental misunderstanding of the physiology of both the mammalian diving reflex and cold shock.

SeaRat

The apnea reflex is why people can have newborns immersed

I was supposed to do a photo shoot with the local mermaids this week, but the pool wouldn't allow a scuba diver outside of a class. Guess I'll just do what I can with mask and snorkel.

Really wish there was a clear warm lake around...

I was supposed to do a photo shoot with the local mermaids this week, but the pool wouldn't allow a scuba diver outside of a class. Guess I'll just do what I can with mask and snorkel.

Really wish there was a clear warm lake around...

Clear, check. Warm, nope. :wink:

Have you tried renting a private pool maybe?

I was supposed to do a photo shoot with the local mermaids this week, but the pool wouldn't allow a scuba diver outside of a class.
There is a simple solution.
Just hire an instructor to do an underwater photo class with you.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom