Miflex HP hose problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hatul

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
500 - 999
I'm having a problem with getting this hose to work. I'm using it to replace an Oceanic hose connected to an Oceanic pressure gauge.

The connector screws on properly and mates with the threads of the gauge, but when I connect this to high pressure, air leaks from the connection.

I had a look inside the connectors and the Miflex and the Oceanic connectors look quite different. The Oceanic hose has a little tube that extends into the pressure gauge which the Miflex gauge does not. It seems this connector of the Miflex hose cannot work with my gauge at all, and yet Oceanic is a common make of pressure gagues. Anyone have ideas on this issue?

Adam

That little tube is actually part of the SPG. It should come out of the hose when you remove the SPG. If it stays in the hose, try pulling it out and replacing it in the gauge, and then inserting the gauge into the miflex hose.

Jeff

This is why you should not be working on your own gear. If you do NOT know what you are doing DON'T play with your gear.

Last edited:
The little tube is an air spool and allows the spg to swivel independently of the HP hose.

The spool should have tiny (003) o-rings at each end and should friction fit into the spg.

Make sure that the o-rings are in place on each end and properly lubed, or just take BWD's advice and bring it in to a pro.

That little tube is actually part of the SPG. It should come out of the hose when you remove the SPG. If it stays in the hose, try pulling it out and replacing it in the gauge, and then inserting the gauge into the miflex hose.

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, That's it, the little tube has two small O rings at each end and I pulled it out with a small vice-grip and replaced it into the Miflex hose. The O rings provide the air seal at each end.

I now have a different problem. In the process of examining the workings of the connector, I unscrewed the metal fitting from the Oceanic gauge. This threads into the metal gauge and has two O rings. The metal gauge sits loose in the plastic case, part of which forms the window face of the gauge. The problem is, when I try to screw the connector back into the gauge it pushes the gauge in the case and misaligns the thread that accepts the connector and the threads cannot mate.

It looks like the plastic case needs to be opened but I've not been able to do this as the plastic window face is screwed in tight. Any ideas on this?

Adam

Thanks Jeff, That's it, the little tube has two small O rings at each end and I pulled it out with a small vice-grip and replaced it into the Miflex hose. The O rings provide the air seal at each end.

I now have a different problem. In the process of examining the workings of the connector, I unscrewed the metal fitting from the Oceanic gauge. This threads into the metal gauge and has two O rings. The metal gauge sits loose in the plastic case, part of which forms the window face of the gauge. The problem is, when I try to screw the connector back into the gauge it pushes the gauge in the case and misaligns the thread that accepts the connector and the threads cannot mate.

It looks like the plastic case needs to be opened but I've not been able to do this as the plastic window face is screwed in tight. Any ideas on this?

Adam

The plastic face may well be glued on. The metal cases often are screwed on and sealed by an o-ring. It may be time for a new (and better) SPG. And, while I would be the last one suggesting you should not work on your own gear, I suggest you also invest some time and money into learning more aboput your gear before you attempt to repair or modify it.

while I would be the last one suggesting you should not work on your own gear, I suggest you also invest some time and money into learning more aboput your gear before you attempt to repair or modify it.

Well put awap!

It would not of coast that much to take it to somebody that knows what to do. Now you have to buy a SPG. Live and learn. One more life lesson.

It would not of coast that much to take it to somebody that knows what to do. Now you have to buy a SPG. Live and learn. One more life lesson.

OTOH, DIY has the potential of saving quite a bit of money and you get the benefit of accepting responsibility for and knowing your gear. And although many shops and manufacturers do about anything they can to prevent you from working on your own gear, there are adequate sources for info, tools, and parts if you really want to work at it.

Thanks to everyone who offered advice. I took the gauge to Scuba.com and the technician confirmed the gauge is no longer fixable. However, Oceanic has an upgrade program and they will replace the gauge with a new one for under $40. So I had the shop send it in to Oceanic to replace. The old one was over 10 years old anyway and the plastic face badly scored so it's not a bad deal, and now I understand how the rotating connection works.

Adam

Back
Top Bottom