Miflex HP hose problem

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Adam,

It may be time to take this SPG to a pro for a little love and attention. Also, just a personal opinion, but I'm pretty negative on plastic SPGs --you might want to get a metal gauge for that new Miflex hose.

Jeff

Thanks to everyone who offered advice. I took the gauge to Scuba.com and the technician confirmed the gauge is no longer fixable. However, Oceanic has an upgrade program and they will replace the gauge with a new one for under $40. So I had the shop send it in to Oceanic to replace. The old one was over 10 years old anyway and the plastic face badly scored so it's not a bad deal, and now I understand how the rotating connection works.

Adam

Cool! It may have been a life lesson but at least it wasn't a very expensive one. :D

Adam,

It may be time to take this SPG to a pro for a little love and attention. Also, just a personal opinion, but I'm pretty negative on plastic SPGs --you might want to get a metal gauge for that new Miflex hose.

Jeff

The problem is, the gauge fits into an old Oceanic console, so it needs to be the same size. For this reason I'm having it replaced with the same type. The newer gauges I've seen are smaller than this one and will fall out of the console.

Adam

Get rid of the console, dive with the SPG and use a computer and compas on your wirsts.

I actually use another computer on my right wrist, and the console computer is a backup. However for my next computer I'll probably go with something like the Cobra 3. I like having all the displays in one place.

Adam

Hello Adam,

I'm not going to get into the argument over how to configure your gear.

I have not read the entire thread, so forgive me if I repeat advice given previously. It seems to me the problem was caused by not using a "backup" wrench, which is just another wrench to hold a part in place while you torque or un-torque a fitting.

NEVER just un-torque and re-torque a hose end to a plastic second stage or hp gauge with out using a backup wrench. Rather than me attempting to explain it, have a look at a manual at this site, quickly read thru and look at the pictures and diagrams and you will get the idea. Dive Rite RG1200 Regulator Manual - Page %CURPAGENUM% of %LASTPAGENUM% <http://www.scubatoys.com/servicemanuals/diverite/rg1200/rg1200index.html>

Scroll down to page 24 for a picture of someone using a backup wrench on a plastic second stage.

Couv

I now have a different problem. In the process of examining the workings of the connector, I unscrewed the metal fitting from the Oceanic gauge. This threads into the metal gauge and has two O rings. The metal gauge sits loose in the plastic case, part of which forms the window face of the gauge. The problem is, when I try to screw the connector back into the gauge it pushes the gauge in the case and misaligns the thread that accepts the connector and the threads cannot mate.

FWIW, vice-grips are not the correct tool for any of your SCUBA equipment.

Don't use them on anything you want to keep.

Terry

Terry

Installing spring straps? :crafty:

Don't use them on anything you want to keep.

Terry

They should never be the first tool of choice. But I have seen them used as the last tool just before the item is placed in the trash can. Even when they work, they tend to make a mess of plastic and brass.

Back
Top Bottom