Metal second stages

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

jaycanwk

Contributor
Reaction score
# of dives
50 - 99
Given that metal second stages are known for thier durability and cold water performance, why is it that we don't see more divers using them? Or why don't we see more manufactures offering them? I mean it can't be all because of cost can it? since my Mares proton metals were not that expensive relitively speaking. A top of the line Atomic is like $1300 or something yet doesn't have a metal second. Is there something I'm missing??

Plastic is cheaper and probably less durable during use. More profit margin for the manufacturer.

Plastic is cheaper and probably less durable during use. More profit margin for the manufacturer.

Are there any other reasons besides cost though? Like I said my Mares regs were not that expensive, and contrastly, a top of the line expensive atomic or apex does not have a metal second.

The dealer cost for a plastic second stage body is less than $5.00 and that is probably twice the manufacturing cost.

Chrome plated brass on the other hand starts with brass sheet that is stamped into various pieces, brazed together, then chrome plated - a much more time, labor and cost intensive process.

Oddly enough though, when Scubapro switched to plastic second stages, a new G250 cost more than the old Balanced Adjustable it replaced even though they wee internally identical and the plastic case cost substnatially less to produce. So, yes, it is all about marketing and profit margin.

....well, aside from Mares...Scubapro recently introduced the all metal A 700 reg, so metal 2nd-stages aren't quite 'extinct'. Among my reg 'fleet' are the Mares RUBY and MR16-Voltrex...but also Atomic M1...Atomic T2...Apex XTX 200 (2)....Aqualung Titan LX......several Poseidon Jetstreams. It is my understanding metal 2nd-stages are more expensive to manufacture....also, there is the consumer perception that metal is 'heavy', and today's marketing campaigns emphasize lightness = comfort. I'm not sure my Scubapro reintroduced a metal 2nd-stage model...other than to try to capture the 'vintage' scuba gear crowd ? I like metal 2nd-stages...but honestly have been quite happy with my 'primary' regs these days.....Apex and Atomic units.....I've mostly retired my Mares regs (nothing really wrong with them, always gave me fine service...still have them in my spares kit)...but found myself prefering regs with adjustable 2nd-stages....but that's a whole other thread !

Weight?

It might not be true for all metal regs, but one I got experience with is the Mares Abyss. It breathes wonderfully at any depth, is compact and completely indestructible. But at the end of a dive with it, my jaw hurts.

Thank you for the replies so far, but let me refrase the question a lttle bit further,

Why aren,t more divers buying them?

It can't be cost, since metal Mares, and even the new SP700 are cheaper than the top of the line Atomics or Apex which were not metal.

I have a a700. I still prefer my s600's. I really don't see what the body of the reg is made out of that can make a difference. As for price in most regs you aren't really paying for the 2nd stage the cost comes from the 1st stage. I know with a mk25 from SP you can switch out almost every 2nd stage that SP makes and you won't see more than a $100 difference.

I don't like Mares, metal or not, never can get parts or service for them for a long period. Maybe that has changed but once burned, twice not.

The new top end Scuba Pro is metal.

N

......the Mares parts are in the container from Estonia, stuck in customs.

I've heard this excuse several times.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom