Men Posting in the Women's Views Forum--good or bad??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.
i think women are good (hehehe... really good)

and men are good

you know, and this forum is good

and ScubaBoard is REALLY good

so men, women, this forum, and ScubaBoard is all good, man

all good

I didn't realize that this was a womens ONLY forum, but a womens VIEWS forum. A place to explore womens perspectives on diving (and other) issues.

Sure the Salvo thread was a disaster, but not all threads get that bad. Look at several other threads in the womens views forum, the tubes tied thread for instance, several of the male replies seemed useful. Even in the Salvo thread, based on the original query (would you buy from these guys..), if no males responeded would that have been useful?

And unfortunatly there were several people on the Salvo thread that were more intrested in talking than listening. So whats new??

ba_hiker:
Sure the Salvo thread was a disaster, but not all threads get that bad. Look at several other threads in the womens views forum, the tubes tied thread for instance, several of the male replies seemed useful. Even in the Salvo thread, based on the original query (would you buy from these guys..), if no males responeded would that have been useful?

Several male responses were useful and some female responses were utterly out of line in that thread. Some more female responses were wanted and might have been shunted because of the typical male banter was not kept out of the thread. This no doubt happens to threads everywhere (not just to women’s topics) but I think in Women’s Views, women should receive a little extra protection. It is harder to enter a thread in full flame when you already know which activists are going to jump you and have an automatic majority.

P.S. I too have pee valve envy. I have to be able to view those threads in future too.

piikki:
This no doubt happens to threads everywhere (not just to women’s topics) but I think in Women’s Views, women should receive a little extra protection.

This is what I don't understand I guess, Why do you deserve more "protection" from the outside world? Are women more fragile than men are? give me one good reason as to why women deserve more "protection" as you call it than say the solo divers forum or the DIR forum?

jhbryaniv:
give me one good reason as to why women deserve more "protection" as you call it than say the solo divers forum or the DIR forum?

your question is the perfect example:

because sometimes a woman's issue can't be discussed without men jumping in and taking a position that derails the entire discussion

it becomes men v. women as opposed to women to women discussion

there is a place for DIR to DIR as opposed to DIR against non-DIR, just as there is a place for woman to woman as opposed to woman v. man

like it or not, our points of view are very different, and guys dominate pretty much the rest of the board with their views

piikki:
Several male responses were useful and some female responses were utterly out of line in that thread. Some more female responses were wanted and might have been shunted because of the typical male banter was not kept out of the thread. This no doubt happens to threads everywhere (not just to women’s topics) but I think in Women’s Views, women should receive a little extra protection. It is harder to enter a thread in full flame when you already know which activists are going to jump you and have an automatic majority.

P.S. I too have pee valve envy. I have to be able to view those threads in future too.

But, isn't that the nature of the venue? It's hard to offer any sort of "protection" here. Male, female, or otherwise. Are you sure the issue is one of male/female and not just one of wishing to have a forum where inappropriate (deemed by whomever is able to actually make that sort of judgment, and matching each original posters own judgment.) comments are blocked? Such forums exist, but, Scubaboard doesn't really operate that way. For anyone.

Once you post on a public forum, you sort of have to expect the bad with the good. It's up to you to filter them into their appropriate piles.

And, really, the idea that women need additional "protection"? I don't think that is going to go over too well with quite a number of other women.

H2Andy:

because sometimes a woman's issue can't be discussed without men jumping in and taking a position that derails the entire discussion

there is a place for DIR to DIR as opposed to DIR against non-DIR, just as there is a place for woman to woman as opposed to woman v. man

OK makes sense . . . I guess I was having trouble seeing the forest for the trees or is it tress for the forest. . . hmm whatever. . . you know what I mean :D

BTW If you keep standing up for "them" I am taking your man card :) :) J/K about the "them" thing. . . but not the taking your man card thing .. .

OHGoDive:
Once you post on a public forum, you sort of have to expect the bad with the good. It's up to you to filter them into their appropriate piles.

again, it's hard to have a discussion on the nuances of, for example, DIR, when people keep jumping in to say that DIR is full of crap and not the way to go

sometimes you need a space in which people can discuss a point of view without having to defend it against non-proponents

My opinion in this matter is numbers based, not some "weakness" -based. There are way more many men here, and men are generally way more active in numbers checking the posts, Women get drowned, easily. That's my take on it.

H2Andy:

like it or not, our points of view are very different, and guys dominate pretty much the rest of the board with their views

But, at this point, in this thread, that is the issue. men v. women, women v. women, men v. men. It's impossible to afford any one group protection over the other.

I don't think the concerns are solely unique to women's issues, do you? Does anyone?

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom