Men Posting in the Women's Views Forum--good or bad??

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Status
Not open for further replies.

UnderSeaBumbleBee

Contributor
Reaction score
I am wondering what the point of the women’s only forum is since it is dominated by men. No matter the question—diving and pregnant—diving that time of the month—as a woman how do you feel about X, pee valves for women, things women find offensive or uncomfortable—the threads almost always go the same—the guys take over the thread and give the man’s point of view or what a man thinks a woman’s point of view is or should be. :confused: :confused: Rather that post in the general forum, some gal will post in the women’s section to get a woman’s take on the issue Or she will post because she feels intimidated by the men on the board or for some other reason she just feels more comfortable asking a woman the question. In the end most every thread is taken over by the man’s point of view.

A good case in point is the Salvo thread where a gal asks other gals how she feels about this page with the nude model and the bp/w photo. She is offended and wonders how other women feel about it. Many of the guys on the board jump in and say hey you dumb woman, you shouldn’t be offended quite whining about this, if you don’t like it don’t look and so on. Well, she didn’t post the question asking men. Most men like to see a little or a lot of skin which is why Play Boy and the like sell so well and why strip bars cater to men not women.

So what is the point of having a women’s forum in the first place since almost every thread gets taken over by the boys? When I have a question I want to ask a woman diver, I usually just PM a gal rather than endure the flame war from the boys.

Should the women’s forum be an opt in forum like it is with the Surface Interval, DIR, Single Divers and so forth? And to opt in should anyone be able to opt in or only those who declare female gender on their profile?:confused: :D

I am new here, and as a man now posting in the woman's forum, let me just make a few comments. First, why should there be a womans forum? Is there a men's forum?
Aside from that, I would guess that the men don't post in the women's forum to disrespect. My guess is that they don't even know they are in the womens forum. I did not. I saw an interesting post in the new post section of the scubaboard home page. "Men Posting in the Women's Views Forum--good or bad??" I just clicked on it and poof, unknowingly I was in the woman's forum.

I am not sure your link about threads being hijacked answers my question. My question is: Why have a women's views forum in the first place or what is the value of such a forum when the responses come from mostly men?

Now in the men's defense when you click on new posts and see a thread from the women's forum, it does not says women's views forum--it says--Diving Related" or "Non Diving Related" so I suspect that many men reply and join in the women's forum and don't know what forum they have posted in until after the fact.

robertarak:
I am new here, and as a man now posting in the woman's forum, let me just make a few comments. First, why should there be a womans forum? Is there a men's forum?
Aside from that, I would guess that the men don't post in the women's forum to disrespect. My guess is that they don't even know they are in the womens forum. I did not. I saw an interesting post in the new post section of the scubaboard home page. "Men Posting in the Women's Views Forum--good or bad??" I just clicked on it and poof, unknowingly I was in the woman's forum.

Am I in the womens forum now? Maybe that is why I see pink colors here, anyway, not trying to flame on but I believe most men are just intrested in women and what they think. Would trying to understand women be a bad thing?
I believe many will learn that most normal people of both genders have the same thoughts, emotions, insecurities so on and on---:wink:

Mauifish:
Am I in the womens forum now?
Yes you have been sucked into the PINK VORTEX! You should notice that over the next few dives that all of your gear will begin to fade into a brownish pink color before turning a fully bright hot pink color!

leah:
Yes you have been sucked into the PINK VORTEX! You should notice that over the next few dives that all of your gear will begin to fade into a brownish pink color before turning a fully bright hot pink color!

Brownish pink?? Can I back out of here and reconsider my foolish ways? The guys are going to seriously pick on me with my new colors, oh well, they will probably just follow my lead, we will know when their gear turns pink:blinking:

Mauifish:
Brownish pink?? Can I back out of hear and reconsider my foolish ways?

I am sorry, but the woman diver tribe has now claimed you and the color scheme of all your gear. :rofl3: :rofl3: We want to try some new things out on you. You should be expecting a pink and mint green color plaid wet or dry suit.

I do think after posting this thread and looking at how it shows up when you click new posts explains how many men end up in the women's forum without ever knowing where they were going. So maybe a better question is are the mods trying to trick the guys into expressing women's views or are the mods trying to make the women view things more like men?? LOL

Should the forum be identified more clearly so that before a man ventures off into the women's wonderland he can proceed with full knowledge and caution or run away as fast a he can and avoid it altogether?:popcorn: :popcorn:

We do want to know how you think :)
... I have looked into the womans forum , to see what is up with an interesting question and I think I have even posted a time or two .. but not to detract from the discussion, only if I had something of interest to the subject at hand, certainly not to make snide comments.
I would loose that opportunity if it was "woman only"

Note: I just clicked on "new posts" and did not know I was entering into "forbidden territory" :wink:

Oh ... It takes a brave and confident man to wear pink :wink: look at my profile :D

D_B:
I would loose that opportunity if it was "woman only"

Note: I just clicked on "new posts" and did not know I was entering into "forbidden territory" :wink:

Oh ... It takes a brave and confident man to wear pink :wink: look at my profile :D

So would you like more of a heads up when you click on the new posts button to know that you are headed for forbidden territory? I think that might be a better idea than to have an opt in forum. It seems as I am going back and reading some past threads I see more than just a few guys saying --"oh sorry!! didn't know I was in the women's forum."

If you knew in advance that you were clearly going into the women's view section would that change how you might respond to the question knowing it is in the women's section rather than the general population forums?:popcorn: :popcorn:

Status
Not open for further replies.
https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom