Megalodon Rebreather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

ScubaTeen

Reaction score
This looks amazing. That's all I can say. Does anyone dive one and how is it? I need to know if I should start saving now. :D

I don't dive a Meg but I do dive a KISS. It is another type of rebreather. They are great machines but they are expensive and require more discipline and attention to use them safely. If you are above 18 The Scuba Connection in hillsborough NJ has a discover rebreather experience. You can contact Jason Fisch to learn more.

I've been diving a Meg (Apeks)for about 18 months now and I'm very happy with it. It's well build and simple, I have over 125 hours on it without any problem, there is a lot of Megalodon around BC and PNW and most of the divers who dive them a quite happy with their purchase. As mention by Martini there are expensive to purchase and need more attention than if you diving OC, however when you own the unit diving the cost are pretty the same as diving OC. The saving come when you dive Trimix, last week we did a 240ft dive for 40 minutes and I only used about 6 cuft of Diluant (Trimix 10/50) if you did the same dive on OC you would use well over 200 cuft of Trimix at 80 cents to a dollar per cuft of Helium it would have been a costly dive. Of course you have a do a lot of trimix dives to recover the total cost of the unit and training. If you want to find more about rebreather visit the Rebreather World, there is a lot of different model out there to choice form. If you really interested start reading all you can about them and yes you need to start saving a lot of money ($8000 to $15000) depending on the unit.

Cheers

Al

The meg is a solid unit, very tough. I wouldn't say it's simple, as there are other units out there which are more simple. [cough] rEvo :crafty: However the meg will not let you down.

In fact, I saw some used ones on Rebreather World for a rather reasonable price.

The meg is a solid unit, more simple. [cough] rEvo :crafty:

Dito, and if you act now (exchange rate) the rEvo is cheaper. Meg is a good unit but lot's of parts. Build is like a 44 step process vs. 18 for the rEvo, not good or bad just saying:mooner:

Dito, and if you act now (exchange rate) the rEvo is cheaper. Meg is a good unit but lot's of parts. Build is like a 44 step process vs. 18 for the rEvo, not good or bad just saying:mooner:

Doesn't matter how many step as long as it's safe, out of the 44 step some are like install BP/W, charge O2 and diluant etc. Out of the 44 step only 17 need to be done so it's simplier that the 18 steps of the rEvo:wink:. As you see Scubateen every CCR diver on here will tell how much better their unit are, Tienuts used to tell us how good his Optima was:D BTW the rEvo is a nice unit, if I had money I would definitely look at it for a second unit.

Al

Last edited:
This looks amazing. That's all I can say. Does anyone dive one and how is it? I need to know if I should start saving now. :D

Tell us about your diving......

Where are you today....? Experience, training, etc
How frequently do you get out diving...?
Where do you realistically see yourself diving in the next year or two, five....?
What is preventing you from doing those dives today.....?

I'm not of the opinion they are for everyone... The rebreather is a tool..., so depending what sort of problem your running up against; it may or may not be a good idea to jump in... There are also paths to make you better positioned to make the jump when your ready...

Personally....
I had been diving for 4-5 years, completed full cave and the first half of technical training (adv nitrox\deco\helitrox) and averaging 150+ dives a year, with maybe 20-30 dives a year involving significant deco, 20-30 mins +, the rest generally aggressive recreational ranges, 70-130' most pushing NDL.

Two of my buddies made the jump a year prior, so I got allot of know-how from diving with them as they ramped up their learning curve and made the transition.

There are some deals to be had in the used market for Megs... I've bought two that way, saved a few $K each time and they are fairly robust... I won't say their bullet proof, as I had a batch of bad luck..., some self induced, but they are as solid as they come...

-Tim

Doesn't matter how many step as long as it's safe, out of the 44 step some are like install BP/W, charge O2 and diluant etc. Out of the 44 step unit 17 need to be done so it's simplier that the 18 steps of the rEvo:wink:. As you see Scubateen every CCR diver on here will tell how much better their unit are, Tienuts used to tell us how good his Optima was:D BTW the rEvo is a nice unit, if I had money I would definitely look at it for a second unit.

Al
Well remove all those items from the rEvo checklist and it will be 4 items.

And for the record, I always gave an objective opinion of all rebreathers. I still think the optima is a good unit. It's just I found a better unit. Unlike some, I never had to justify my purchase by knocking other rebreathers.

And for the record, I always gave an objective opinion of all rebreathers. I still think the optima is a good unit. It's just I found a better unit. Unlike some, I never had to justify my purchase by knocking other rebreathers.

There are no bad rebreathers... only bad divers...? :shocked2:

if field serviceability and having good habits reinforced, by design, is high on your priority list, I'd go with a Copis Meg or one of the other mCCR's like the rEvo, KISS or Pelagian. the meg is heavy, somewhat ackward but built like a tank. Automatic set point controllers come with a lot more potential for problems, regardless of the brand, and whether or not you agree whether that makes them more dangerous, having one break down is a huge pain in the ass because an electronics failure is essentially impossible to recover from without a trip back to the hatchery. eCCR Meg owners have their share of melt down stories as do all eCCR brands. mCCR owners are rarely left high and dry without the means to address a problem in the field... even completely removing and replacing the electronics is doable.

For avid divers, rebreathers can really open up the possibilities even if you don't plan on going deep.

Back
Top Bottom