Megalodon Rebreather

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I see that the OP lives in PA. Not sure if your near the Harrisburg/Lancaster area but if you are then send me a PM. I have owned three different rebreathers including eCCR and mCCR. I currently have a Meg and would happy to show you more about it and share the pro's and con's of the others I have owned. We can even do it at one of the local quarry's if your in the area.

John

I do think it's pretty plain to most of us diving mCCR's, particularly modified Copis's, that ISC deliberately configures and markets the Copis as a recreational rebreather not because it's not capable of deep dives but because they don't want it to compete with the Apex, which is their real cash cow. Adding the redundancy and mods necessary to remove the depth limitation is remarkably easy. They would be wise to offer an expedition version of the Copis, it would save some of us some trouble, and they'd get more money from us. it's true the market is smaller and younger, but that, IMHO, is just a matter of time.

eCCR's were designed for military applications, where the risk of automation is outweighted by the risk of getting your head blown off. Most civilian applications turn that equation upside down.

don't get me wrong, the eCCR version of the meg is cool, I loved diving eCCR, but the minor inconvenience of having to add o2 manually is a minor price to pay for the reliability and apparent reduction of overall risk. I'm not saying eCCr's are not a viable choice any longer, it's just important to understand the risk benefit ratio when making the choice, that's all.

george

The apples-to-apples comparison of the two Megs isn't exactly a valid comparison of what is deemed 'better." A ton of variables there.

Additionally, I'd say that the Meg ECCR is an 'exploration class' rebreather vs. the Classic Kiss which I personally deem as a recreational RB. Sure, it can almost play in the same depth range as the explorer class. However, given the two side to side - I'd choose the Meg, or the equivalents - Hammerhead, the extinct Cis MK5P, Mk 15.5, etc. vs. the KISS.

I'm sure this MCCR/ECCR Meg debate has been tossed back and forth on RBW.

X

Last edited:
Hey take it easy man.. jesus.

All I'm saying is people say they want an expedition rebreather when in actual fact they do very little in the way of expeditions.

When I head below 300 on a regular basis I'll have an Mk on my back, for now I don't pretend I need anything more then what I have. It just seems alot of people are about the kit and not the dive.

Cam

BTW, I'm Cameron over on RBW as well... if you wanna chat some more.:blinking:

I appreciate what you're saying. Most RB users will not be using their rig for expedition-class diving. However, your response had certain earmarks reminiscent of past RBW threads. BTW - I know who you are from TDS.

Apart from that, expedition-class RB's have one feature I appreciate - flood tolerance and with some, the ability to insert a hydrophobic canister. A flood at depth makes life very tense...especially if you have a lot of deco. This summer should be interesting as I'll be doing some long, deep penetration. The KISS Classic will not be on my back for that dive as purging the can of water is nearly impossible without some careful modification.

I do think it's pretty plain to most of us diving mCCR's, particularly modified Copis's, that ISC deliberately configures and markets the Copis as a recreational rebreather not because it's not capable of deep dives but because they don't want it to compete with the Apex, which is their real cash cow. Adding the redundancy and mods necessary to remove the depth limitation is remarkably easy. They would be wise to offer an expedition version of the Copis, it would save some of us some trouble, and they'd get more money from us. it's true the market is smaller and younger, but that, IMHO, is just a matter of time.

george

I understand what you are saying and agree. An expedition-class version of the COPIS would be terrific. Currently, I dive the Shearwater Meg as an MCCR anyway, with the electronics running in the background. Diving the KISS made me very facile in maintaining set point. On a regular dive with the Meg I hear the solenoid go off only when I am shooting some video and can't add o2 to the loop Kiss style.

X

I've finally gotten some discerning opinion on a good needle valve (VM1-SV-2AA - $147.00 USD : Aalborg, Manufacturer of High Quality Flow Instrumentation) and plan on adding this to my current set up (Installation of the Shearwater GF and HUD to the Copis Megalodon Rebreather - a set on Flickr) when life slows down a little bit and i'm ready to delve into the next phase of mods, which will include a radial scrubber and a few other tweeks. It would seem that the copis makes for a nice platform for an expedition mCCR, particularly with respect to flood tolerance. I've had enough bad luck with solenoids that I will never trust them again, particularly as a safety net, a MFO is pretty awesome but not trustworthy enough to make me complacent and the fact that solenoids seem to be correlated with high fatalities just seals the deal. set point controllers are just more trouble than they are worth, at least for my tastes.

kind regards,
g

I appreciate what you're saying. Most RB users will not be using their rig for expedition-class diving. However, your response had certain earmarks reminiscent of past RBW threads. BTW - I know who you are from TDS.

Apart from that, expedition-class RB's have one feature I appreciate - flood tolerance and with some, the ability to insert a hydrophobic canister. A flood at depth makes life very tense...especially if you have a lot of deco. This summer should be interesting as I'll be doing some long, deep penetration. The KISS Classic will not be on my back for that dive as purging the can of water is nearly impossible without some careful modification.

I understand what you are saying and agree. An expedition-class version of the COPIS would be terrific. Currently, I dive the Shearwater Meg as an MCCR anyway, with the electronics running in the background. Diving the KISS made me very facile in maintaining set point. On a regular dive with the Meg I hear the solenoid go off only when I am shooting some video and can't add o2 to the loop Kiss style.

X

Back
Top Bottom