Megadive Party '04-b

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So its a toss up between Crystal River and the Venice area still? DSW, are you head of the planning commitee this time again, or are there others who wish to volunteer their services?

I would imagine we can get group rates on accom and boats around CR with various operators, even other sites outside the Kings Bay area - like Rainbow River, not sure about going further away from the area than that, it was a 1.5 hour drive to Manatee and Ocala is a little over an hour away from that area - any other ideas on that?

As for Venice, i would guess that would be cheap enough anyway to camp at a nearby area and shore diving is free. We have a few shore diving sites just up and down the coast - can we also river dive down the Peace River or around one of those rivers? Any other options in those areas?

Corey,

Crystal River is just north of Tampa. You'd do much better flying in there and renting a car. Panama City's much farther.

BTW, I found this great site for Manatee recipes:
http://www.monkeyspit.net/sites/manatee/recipes.html

So far, I'm doing this one alone. Right now, just getting ideas. I have only ben to CRystal River once and that was to the main bay. As for camping and such, I am doing all research online. More interest has come towards Manatee diving than just getting into the water and since Crystal River is closer to the South group, and different from Ginnie, it's a good option. I would say that since we have a lot of OW's, something entry level like Crystal River, but offering great experiences would be best for now. I remember being spurned by Mother Nature during th SoFlo trip and thinking how we had come to dive and brought no preps for anything as a contingency.
Suddenly we were being lifted off the beach with tarps in hand and sandblasted as we walked the evening streets.
State camping is a minimum there but many places DO offer decent prices. We'd still be looking to arrange dive transport as well.

You might want to consider a Rainbow River drift dive as part of the festivities. We can rent a deck boat and put in at KP Hole park or just pay for seats on one of the ones that are routinely on the river ($~25/person retail - we could probably get a reduced rate as a group.) It's close, and is a nice, easy drift dive in a clear river with fossils and a couple of small caverns. Makes a nice afternoon dive after a morning at Crystal River.

I spoke with American Pro Divers at Crystal, and they are amenible to group rates. I dove/snorkeled with them a couple of years ago, and they had a nice little operation, though it was a bit structured for my taste. The good part was that they go out onto the Homosassa River very early and get to the manatee area at least an hour before anybody else.

Beware their "dive villas". Single-wide trailers for $95/night.

Deck boats from one of the Crystal River rental places is probably the most cost-efficient way to go, from my experience.

i would strongly, strongly suggest we use Bird's Diving. they are much smaller
and a better operation (imho) than American Pro Divers. nothing bad about
APD, it's just that Bird's is awesome.

GrierHPharmD:
($~25/person retail - we could probably get a reduced rate as a group.)
I spoke with American Pro Divers at Crystal, and they are amenible to group rates.
Beware their "dive villas". Single-wide trailers for $95/night.

Deck boats from one of the Crystal River rental places is probably the most cost-efficient way to go, from my experience.
Either we buy a whole boat for the morning/day and get them to haul it for us up to Rainbow or we just go with one of their trips. I should imagine we can get a deal around $20 or so per person for a boat up there. The dive villas are ok for basic four walls around you, nothing special, we paid around $70 i think for the night - which isnt bad i guess, but camping would be dirt cheap around there i am sure! What are the prices for the rented boats (by the day) out there? Will they haul them up to RR for us too for a fee? Or we need to organise some kind of ferrying service, one set of cars at the top near the headspring (not in it - big no no) and another set at the car park by KP hole - ideas anyone, what about a rental van for the weekend - clean it up afterwards? A 16 seater type thing to drop us off around the top and meet us at the end? Tarps and toweling down could keep the inside of the van reasonably clean and dry - and not smelling? We could even attach a sign to the outside - Scubaboard party (is Netdoc reading this with advertising ideas yet??).

H2Andy:
i would strongly, strongly suggest we use Bird's Diving. they are much smaller
and a better operation (imho) than American Pro Divers. nothing bad about
APD, it's just that Bird's is awesome.
APD rules, Bird's sucks. Their prices per person per dive or even in packages are a load cheaper than Bird's, group rates, je ne c'est pa.

yes, they are cheaper... but Bird's gets you there earlier and in style. don't forget, you get what you pay for

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom