Megadive Party '04-b

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I've been thinking.... there are all kinds of places to dive and camp.. I've had the notion of maybe even Myakka State Park for camping then drive the short drive to Venice Beach for shore diving.

So what are we going to do hogtie Capt Morgan to make sure that he doesnt take all the teeth and there are some left for those in the dive party? Parking is a bit of trouble, even if we shared cars - if we get a turn out like Ginnie that is - although there are other roads around there we could park on.

Where else could we go to spice up the diving for a weekend? A day at Venice, one in Bradenton, any other places around there that are a reasonable shore dive?

Oscar Scherer State Park is a lot closer to Venice than Myakka, Both are nice parks though and seems like a good idea.

Wildbill:cop_2:

With all the suggestions I have recieved, it looks like the next event in October will be a camping/dive event in either Crystal River or near Venice. There are a few State parks near there where four people can camp for 20+ bucks per site and extras up to 4 per site at only two bucks extra per person! There's not much in the way of diving on those sites, so diving would have to be elsewhere. I am still looking at other options that will better facilitate a group showing at a single location. Another option is an early NOVEMBER event at Crystal River which would offer a better chance of diving with manatees. Mmmm... Barbecue!!!!! DOH!!!

So when do you want deposits for mantee kebab grilling equipment?? I hear it is best to grill whilst still alive to keep the juices in rather than kill them then BBQ.

Not looking for deposits until the campsite is set. As for the grilling, have chainsaw, will travel. WHO WANTS A THIGH?! Light meat or dark? Hmmm I see a T-shirt design forming for THIS one! I am also planning on the next party to be a THEMED party. I am thinking... "To the Politically INCORRECT Extreme!" Diver defense platform, endangered grilling, doing it the D.U.H. way,... (i'm sure you can see where this is going... )

I think we need some D.U.H t-shirts, maybe with a big Stroke across the back. Get Jenny to design them and sell them before the event. Wouldn't you like to wear that to Ginnie...?

Oh, and from our friends across the big pond at Diver magazine (another beer through the nostrils moment, thinking of the manatee kabob thread) :

" They appear unafraid of humans, but humans have been the manatees' real problem. Because they can provide tasty meat, high-quality oil and hardy leather, manatees were once hunted ruthlessly"

See for yourself:
http://www.divernet.com/travel2/0404manatees.shtml

what, you guys have never had broiled manatee before?

it's almost as good as bald eagle (tastes like chicken) and much, much better
than Florida panther (too gamey).

I also heard you can cook those nice green or leatherback turtles inside the shell - keeps the flavour in and provides a handy bowl from which to eat the resulting turtle from or a good pot to mix in a few herbs, bits of greenery and spices, i prefer mine plain with no extra bits added in.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom