Meet N Greet XX: Gilboa April 25-27, 2008

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Things that can't be said to another man at Meet-N-Greet!

1. "Do you have your skurt tucked in?" -Barracuda2 Spring 2007

2. "I just wear some moister wicking long john's." -gtxl1200 Spring 2008

3. "I'm never gonna wash these undies, ever!" -Mitten Diver Spring 2008

4. "His heater is even bigger than mine, twice the size to be exact." -Ber :lilbunny: Spring 2007

:rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3::rofl3:

You guys crack me up!!! M & G is gonna be great this Spring!!:D:D:D

We LIKE new divers! Done any cold water diving yet? It's almost a different sport and we'll be sure to break you in right :eyebrow:

Here's how the dive buddy situation works; when you're ready to dive you say "Anybody want to get wet?" (or something similar) and invariably someone is ready OR you speak up when someone else asks the same question :wink: We're pretty flexible in the dive buddy realm.

Thanks for the clarification on the dive buddy situation. Sounds like a good plan to me.

As far as me diving cold yet, back in 2003 before I was certified I dove a feshwater spring with cold water in Florida as part of a 1 day intro to scuba course. I cant say how cold exactly it was but it was pretty cold. The people I went with all wanted to get out after only about 15 minutes in the water. I'm sure that is nothing comparable to what Gilboa may be like. I do have to say though, when It comes to swimming and when any friends I go with start whinning that they're cold and want to get out, I completely don't understand them. So in short I'm willing to give Gilboa a try and am fairly certain I'll be ok!

4. "His heater is even bigger than mine, twice the size to be exact." -Ber :lilbunny: Spring 2007

Is 'heater' code word for 'rear-end'.....?

Someone get a ruler......! :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

If you want to prepare for Gilboa in April, get a bag of ice, pour it into a bucket, add water to the top, then insert you face into the water for as long as you can stand it.

Or, get a good dry suit and a full face mask.

His heater is even bigger than mine, twice the size to be exact.

My heater isn't twice the size of yours. I just have twice the output. It isn't really the physical size that matters.

1. "Do you have your skurt tucked in?" -Barracuda2 Spring 2007

2. "I just wear some moister wicking long john's." -gtxl1200 Spring 2008

3. "I'm never gonna wash these undies, ever!" -Mitten Diver Spring 2007
4. "His heater is even bigger than mine, twice the size to be exact." -Ber :lilbunny: Spring 2008

5. "My heater isn't twice the size of yours. I just have twice the output. It isn't really the physical size that matters." -Steve_Dives Spring 2008

I know you have to be advanced certified. Plus you need a set of doubles or a sling bottle like a pony or something like that. another words he wants a alternate emergency air source. Plus a good detailed dive plan. with exact depths and times and saftey stops on the way up. with times. He has charts in the office you fill out. Ber also knows what he likes to see... Like she said she would like to go. though she will be busy. I would rather go with her as I know she wouldnt be doing deco either I dont think unless now that she has those doubles of hers she might be doing deco diving now. I can tell you it is dark over their and not much to see. and Very Very Cold. It just cool to say you have been their. I know Dave cldwtrdvr or something like that I always get it wrong. Probably wouldnt mind a quick dive over their either. He can do it on a 72 and still not need to use his pony. hehehehehe

I would agree with most of that. I have to say that it is colder right next to the tubes where the spring comes in than it is at 130 ft in the sump. The difference is that you have to spend longer to get out of the sump/deep end than you do to get away from the tubes so you get more cold on the deep side. It also feels colder because of the darkness.

I know you have to be advanced certified. Plus you need a set of doubles or a sling bottle like a pony or something like that. another words he wants a alternate emergency air source. Plus a good detailed dive plan. with exact depths and times and saftey stops on the way up. with times. He has charts in the office you fill out. Ber also knows what he likes to see... Like she said she would like to go. though she will be busy. I would rather go with her as I know she wouldnt be doing deco either I dont think unless now that she has those doubles of hers she might be doing deco diving now. I can tell you it is dark over their and not much to see. and Very Very Cold. It just cool to say you have been their. I know Dave cldwtrdvr or something like that I always get it wrong. Probably wouldnt mind a quick dive over their either. He can do it on a 72 and still not need to use his pony. hehehehehe

Free flow experience is something else he asks about and I suggest you do one on the safety stop of one of your shallow dives before filing to go to the deep side just to refresh your memory.

I don't do deco :no I prefer to do the dive with my single tank rig and a sling bottle until I get more comfortable with the doubles. I've been over there in them but only to about 80 feet. I've decided to keep them in the shallows a little longer.

I'll have to see how many students I have and what my workload is like, there might be as few as two and that's an easy day.

As far as me diving cold yet, back in 2003 before I was certified I dove a feshwater spring with cold water in Florida as part of a 1 day intro to scuba course. I cant say how cold exactly it was but it was pretty cold. The people I went with all wanted to get out after only about 15 minutes in the water. I'm sure that is nothing comparable to what Gilboa may be like.
Ummmm, the Florida springs are warm water :wink: Ok I admit, I WAS whining for my drysuit and 400g undies in the springs last year, Gilboa will be at least 30 degrees colder than the springs but we've got a lot of good tricks for staying fairly comfortable in those conditions. What I've learned is the water in Florida feels colder than the water in Ohio, maybe because I expect the Florida water to be warmer and the Ohio water to be freezing. I find 60 degree Ohio water feels warmer than 72 degree Florida water--go figure.

I do have to say though, when It comes to swimming and when any friends I go with start whinning that they're cold and want to get out, I completely don't understand them. So in short I'm willing to give Gilboa a try and am fairly certain I'll be ok!
I'm sure you'll do just fine! It will be fun and you're going to learn a LOT!

Is 'heater' code word for 'rear-end'.....?

Someone get a ruler......! :popcorn::popcorn::popcorn:

Oh this should be good :rofl3:

My heater isn't twice the size of yours. I just have twice the output. It isn't really the physical size that matters.
I must save the reply to this for the M&G...I would hate to have to ban ALL of us (myself included) from the thread :11doh:
Ber :lilbunny:

Ber,

I happen to know that those doubles work all right :) . I would think that you could dive all day on the shallow side with them considering your light air consumption.

Back
Top Bottom