Meet and Greet Time Again (Gilboa April 28-30, 2006)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

diverbrian:
I wouldn't dream of actually harming those fish. I enjoy them as much as anybody else. Actually, being a season pass holder, I probably enjoy them more than most :) . Besides, I have to have something to keep me entertained while I am working with that class on the weekend before M&G with our shop besides the students :) .

Make it fresh paddlefish and Mike would torture you first! They don't like to come out and play at all, but I am told that they are there.

When was the last paddlefish sighting...very elusive creatures or did someone eat them already?:D

Divingnthedark:
When was the last paddlefish sighting...very elusive creatures or did someone eat them already?:D

They are elusive. I am told that they like to hang out midwater in the far corner at the deep end. My buddies claim that they had was a brief sighting by them about a year and half ago.

I guess that they don't like diver's bubbles much either. You pretty much need a rebreather or to sit in one spot for them to get used to you before you see them.

I don't know how they would taste. I would bet they really aren't great eating fish anyways :wink: .

I'd like to come to the meet & greet.

What is the policy for coming...is there any sort of sign up, or do we just show up?

Can someone please confirm the dates?

What can I bring (I read a lot of the posts here, but not all...I guess wood is out, but what about food, beer, snacks, etc.?

Will rental gear be available (BCD, tanks and octo?) I am just getting started buying my own gear, but won't have all of it by then...unless I can convince my wife to let me spend the money.

What is the policy on younger people. My daughter will be certified by then, but she is 12...are young people allowed?

Does everyone camp for the weekend?

Directions???

Thanks;

John Walko

jwalko:

What is the policy for coming...is there any sort of sign up, or do we just show up?

What can I bring (I read a lot of the posts here, but not all...I guess wood is out, but what about food, beer, snacks, etc.?

Will rental gear be available (BCD, tanks and octo?) I am just getting started buying my own gear, but won't have all of it by then...unless I can convince my wife to let me spend the money.

What is the policy on younger people. My daughter will be certified by then, but she is 12...are young people allowed?

Directions???

Thanks;

John Walko

John,

Most of the attendanance/ what to bring issues can be solved by the statement of "just show up and bring what you want" :) . If you bring "adult beverages", please show Mike the respect of not advertising that you are doing so :wink: . This goes on the theory that this is supposed to be a family dive site and young children are very welcome. So adults are expected to behave :) . By the way, I am likely bringing a 24-48 "patriots" along myself for group consumption. Food and snacks are always welcome and we have some homebrewers that sometimes like to demonstrate their wares (NotSoKen?).

Mike charges per person per day at the quarry. If they are diving, he charges somewhat more than for a non-diver.

There is an camping fee as well, but it would still be cheaper than most hotels in the area for lodging. Yes, most of us camp there for meet and greet in order to enjoy the comraderie around the campfire.

As far as equipment rental, I do believe that Mike has limited equipment rental on site, but I would strongly recommend renting necessary gear from your LDS, pleading with your wife, or some such thing as it isn't much and it is on a "first-come, first serve" basis.

Directions? Where are you coming in from?

Directions from Cincinnati:
I-75 north to exit 134, turn left (this exit ramp is a 2-lane road also so keep right)
Go straight until the road dead ends
turn right
quarry is about a mile down the road on your right

Dates: April 28, 29, 30

Ber :lilbunny:

Current plans are to come to the M & G. I will bring some lunch meat (....my better half went hunting in the beautiful, great white north and brought back a couple of caribbou) and some bread.

Ber Rabbit:
Hey Eeyore, I double dog dare ya to dive in a 3mm :D Will have to get Barracuda2 to video that if you do :wink:

I think just video taping the entry would be a "scream"!

jwalko:

Directions???

Thanks;

John Walko

Welcome John,
Always glad to see a fellow diver from the 'nati to help me balance the odds against all these northerners!

Ber's directions were right on. Depending on what part of Cincy you are coming and how closely you obey the speed limits, and traffic heading through Dayton count on about 2.25-3.25 hours.

Just show up- Check in with Mike at the office when you get there and come on back and join us.

As Brian mentioned, bring whatever you like. We'll do some sort of pot luck thing on Saturday and plan on a campfire for both friday and Sat night.

If you need to get gear I'd recomend getting it ahead of time. If you aren't already partial to a dive shop in the 'nati Cincinnati Diving Center (513-521-DIVE) is pretty reasonable on their weekend rentals and has much more gear to chose from then you will find up at Gilboa.

Your daughter is very welcome. Just realize the water is quite cold. Depending on her size you might have a hard time finding a 7mm suit for her, and even if you do find one, kids have a much harder time dealing with the cold.

A majority of us camp, but there are some that prefer the comforts of hotels. The hotels are about 20 minutes away.

Polly

I already talked with my wife about coming (not the gear...I need to ease her into that one...smile). It is likely that I'll be there. I asked my daughter, and she doesn't want to camp out, so I might be there alone. Either that, or the whole family will come.

I'll rent the gear here. I assume that if I bring one tank and can stand the cold that I can get the tank filled there. Is this correct?

I only have a 5mm suit and no dry suit yet...that is off in the future, when I can afford it. I am pretty tolerant of cold, but was wondering if a 5mm suit, with a hooded vest would be enough, or if I'll be singled out as one of the "crazies" for diving in this. Hey, I might even try the 3mm suit challenge...nothing like having your breath taken away by diving into the cold water.

As far as what to bring, I may have to think about that one...beer goes w/o saying, but need to think about the food.

Polly, I live N of downtown, in the W. Chester area, so it isn't that bad of a drive for me...I think 2-2.5 hours is a safe bet.

I just have to see my wife's schedule for that weekend to know when I can come up...it may be Friday, or might not be until Saturday.

John

Back
Top Bottom