Meet and Greet Time Again (Gilboa April 28-30, 2006)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Notso_Ken:
Does Mike even allow reserving a spot???

We always gather at the far end, I generally arrive about 9am Saturday and have never had trouble finding a spot down there.

Ken

No reserved spots to my knowledge. It's a matter of who gets there when and where you are in the season. We've gotten the spots we've wanted in the past for the GLWC gatherings because it was early in the season and a few members arrived mid-day on Friday.

Hey DiverBrian,

Is this something that Gilboa is gonna try for 2006?
I do not see it mentioned on the DiveGilboa.com web site.

from Diverbrian,
Keep in mind, Mike now sells parking passes for those that want to hang out with the crew and not spend the night for less than the camping pass required to actually spend the night.

I hope so and I think it will win them a lot of approval.
-Dave

cldwdiver:
Hey DiverBrian,
Is this something that Gilboa is gonna try for 2006?
-Dave

Hey Dave,

I think Mike had started this last year toward the tail end of the season as it was in effect at the last Meet and Greet.

Look forward to seeing you again in the spring. You going to the North American Shipwreck deal in March in Bloomfield Hills?

Mitten Diver:
Hey Dave,

I think Mike had started this last year toward the tail end of the season as it was in effect at the last Meet and Greet.

John,
when I met you guys last year for the fall meet and greet I had to pay full camping fees to park back where you guys were at and so did keith and he was just riding with me and neither one of us stayed the night so it wasnt in effect last year.

Mitten Diver:
Hey Dave,

Look forward to seeing you again in the spring. You going to the North American Shipwreck deal in March in Bloomfield Hills?

Yep, that was definitely in effect near the tail end of last season as I did quite a bit of diving there after meet and greet. I couldn't remember if he was selling day passes for the vehicles or not at the fall meet and greet. That would have been the last camping that I did their because I typically go in with some people and get the apartment anymore. I am such a wimp.

My new dive vehicle will have quite a bit more room, so sleeping in won't seem like such an exercise in mashocism. It will be a few months to pay some things down and then I plan to have it by mid April (and be working to pay for it for it for most of the rest of my natural life :( ). The Mustang got sold to the insurance company last week. I have to get the police report to allow me to recover my deductible this week or next. RIP for Diverbrian's well-known divemobile.

The problem with allowing a lot of cars to park in the camping area at Gilboa is the lack of space. Shouldn't be a problem in April but in the summer all of those cars down there will take up what little space there is available for camping.

It's not like Mike is getting rich off of the fees he charges, you can see how much money he is putting into making the quarry a better place for divers, he's put a TON of work into improving the place. Insurance on that place isn't cheap either and has to be paid all year including winter months when there are few divers there to pay fees to cover the costs. Even at $8 per person for a campsite it's still cheaper than getting a hotel room (two double beds) unless you're going to put some people on the floor.

I'll try to plan on Gilboa April 28. I'll be teaching my advanced class then and I'm not sure what the dive schedule will be.
Ber :lilbunny:

Hi John,

Haven't even thought of it yet. Too soon to say.
I am looking forward to ice-out on Higgins lake though. :)

Mitten Diver:

$8 for camping is not bad at all. I have seen $15 per person.

Well, I am pretty sure I got a set of turtles with my name on them so I will be ready for dry diving in April. Actually ready now but the new fins will make it a lot easier to get them on and off. Also should have my XM satellite radio by then as well. :D

Lets go to gilboa!!!!!

Scott

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom