Meet and Greet Time Again (Gilboa April 28-30, 2006)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Just curious, but whats the water temp that time of year? I want to try and talk a friend into coming with me and he's nervous about the water temps!!!

crpntr133:
FYI, rumor has it that Blue Springs will be raising their price to $20 to dive. Won't see me there.

It is not worth $20 A day. If he dose that I would want to go to Gilboa. You get a lot more for your money there.

Scott :D

ICUROK:
It is not worth $20 A day. If he dose that I would want to go to Gilboa. You get a lot more for your money there.

Scott :D

I have tired to support the local dive site every weekend last year. I feel like many mid-west divers spoiled Rick (owner) at BS too much. To be honest, BS diving environment is horrible. A secondhand store is much better than BS. Almost all underwater objects are broken or left alone.

Don't get me wrong. There is a huge difference between an environmental frendly place and abadoned place. He only maintains the site right before the season by using some voluntary divers who can get the free diving for that. Whenever I visited other diving sites in other states, I always swear that I won't dive at BS again. I know, I keep going there because it is the closest place and we dont have many alternative choices in Indiana. There are at least seven dive shops that are using BS for their classes. Yes, it is absolutely monopoly.

If someone claims, "hey it is a supply and demand." "Don't go there if you don't like," there is nothing I can argue. However, I believe that I am an eligible enough to speak out the fact and complaints as a regular customer... It definately ruins a local diving environment....

In addition, Rick might say, BS will be better equippmed after rasing the fee. I strongly doubt it.

My 2 psi.

Hoosier

If that $20.00/day rate for Blue Springs is accurate, that may affect some other plans that I had to use it this spring. It would have been ideal for what I wanted to use it for (working with two divers from Indy on their new rigs), but NOT for $20.00/day.

In comparison, I go to Dutch Springs in Bethlehem, PA one weekend per year for DUI drysuit days. Last year (and keep in mind that Dutch Springs a more fancier facility than either Gilboa or BS, with actual diving on par with Gilboa) it was $22.00 day with a season pass price much the same as Gilboa's to allow "the locals" to dive it more and better soak the visitors :) .

I dive Gilboa frequently and find it great for my purposes. I have a couple buddies that go in on the apartment with me which makes the facilities on par with spending the night in town in a hotel and diving the deep side twice a day to practice deep skills at depth (for which I personally feel that there is no substitute for depth/ actual deco for practicing these skills once one is deco trained). If not for my season pass, I would find Mike's rates on the very edge of reasonable myself.

Keep in mind, Mike now sells parking passes for those that want to hang out with the crew and not spend the night for less than the camping pass required to actually spend the night.

Anyways, still being biased towards Gilboa, I have to throw in an idea that we need to better include our western members from Illinios/Indiana/Wisconsin on the very next M & G. So, let's think about areas like Haigh/ BS/ etc. as a site for another M&G.

As well, I have seen some great ideas about getting people together for the shipwreck festivals. I would like to see us start to get more people interested in Great Lakes diving. It isn't just for gorillas anymore :) .

diverbrian:
Anyways, still being biased towards Gilboa, I have to throw in an idea that we need to better include our western members from Illinios/Indiana/Wisconsin on the very next M & G. So, let's think about areas like Haigh/ BS/ etc. as a site for another M&G.

As well, I have seen some great ideas about getting people together for the shipwreck festivals. I would like to see us start to get more people interested in Great Lakes diving. It isn't just for gorillas anymore :) .

Haigh is certainly a favorite for the locals over here, but it has one draw back as a meet and greet site..no camping or on site overnight accomodations. Apparently Pearl Lake has camping, as well as BS.

Dean810:
Haigh is certainly a favorite for the locals over here, but it has one draw back as a meet and greet site..no camping or on site overnight accomodations. Apparently Pearl Lake has camping, as well as BS.

Where is Pearl Lake?

Ken

Lake Pearl seems to be located on the Illinois/Wisconsin state line, with a daily diving fee of $20. 85ft Max. depth. www.pearllake.com.

By the way when camping at Gilboa, is it better to reserve a site, or just get there early?

I am up for a GL dive sometime this year. The GF and I usually go to Cleveland sometime during the year and the plans are for me to do a dive or two. I will post as soon as I get a date out of her. It will be warm weather and probably August or September.

Does GLWC have t-shirts? (been there, done that, got the t-shirt) If so, interested in trading for a Midwest Muck Divers shirt?

Divermark2003:
Lake Pearl seems to be located on the Illinois/Wisconsin state line, with a daily diving fee of $20. 85ft Max. depth. www.pearllake.com.

By the way when camping at Gilboa, is it better to reserve a site, or just get there early?

Does Mike even allow reserving a spot???

We always gather at the far end, I generally arrive about 9am Saturday and have never had trouble finding a spot down there.

Ken

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom