Meet and Greet Time Again (Gilboa April 28-30, 2006)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubapolly:
Also polar teck is your friend Get out of your wet suit between each dive and put on some fleece. It dries quickly and doesn't hold the water against you when it does get wet.
Good idea! I have a polartech skin that is too thick to wear under my wet suit...I used it sledding and was toasty....Man is my Wrangler going to be packed with gear!!
Loretta

Wear a wicking fabric under your wetsuit, I have used a pair of Duofold expedition weight undies with great success. A dive skin will help your suit go on easier over anything you wear under it but in a pinch a pair of pantyhose will work for the bottoms and plastic shopping bags over your hands and forearm will help the sleeves.

Polarfleece socks inside your booties make a difference.

Bring a container that's big enough to hold your hood and gloves along with some warm water. Soak your hood and gloves in warm water before you don them to get in for the second dive, nothing feels colder and yuckier than a cold damp hood.

There is no such thing as too much polarfleece, pack plenty of warm clothes and throw one more set in for good measure. If you don't use them it's no big deal but if you don't have them and need them you're going to be miserable.

Three-finger mitts instead of gloves are wonderful. They are well worth the investment and the slight loss of mobility. Frozen fingers in gloves do not function very well anyway. I was amazed at the difference between gloves and mitts.

Ber :lilbunny:

Quarry diving in cold water.... when it comes to warm clothes remember.....

It is better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

scubapolly:
Quarry diving in cold water.... when it comes to warm clothes remember.....

It is better to have it and not need it, than need it and not have it.

I'll buy that! Even in a dry suit I am cold. I am always wearing my knit cap, heavy wool sweater and mittens after a cold dive, just to bring my temp back up!

Dean810:
I'll buy that! Even in a dry suit I am cold. I am always wearing my knit cap, heavy wool sweater and mittens after a cold dive, just to bring my temp back up!
In Florida my students were running around in bathing suits between dives and I was wearing everything but a parka and freezing. I've tried the heating packs in the drysuit and don't notice any heat though I know they are getting warm. I've sat in front of my friend's salamander heater so long he burned his hand when he touched my sweatshirt but I was too cold to feel the heat.

Divingnthedark:
Okay, I'm bringing 2 tanks and my 2 Body Glove 7mm wet suits that way I can do at least 2 dives :D I'm not sure which day or days I'll be there but hopefully Saturday for sure!

Gilboa has onsite air fills for 7.00 a piece if you want to make more then two dives. someone is usually running a truck load of tanks up all of the time. Just buy a couple of fill tags when you check in if you dont use them someone will buy them off of you.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok I got a minute to update the list.

I will have the Great Lakes Wrecking Crew sign I will be there early Friday morning it will be hung up somwhere visible for everyone to see. You cant miss us The GLWC Bunk House is 30ft long so it is visable from way down the road. Plus for the ladies it does have running water and flush toilets. for those that dont want the hassle or take up the space that were going to bring small grills and propane. Bunkhouse has full kitchen also so if you dont want to bring that stuff you dont have to.

Dont worry about when and who to dive with. Diving always takes place pretty much non stop all weekend. That is the one good thing about Gilboa. Just gear up and giant stride in. It usually finishes up each night with a night dive.

The Pot luck........ and let me add these usually put most buffets in vegas to shame. Usually takes place between 1and3 on Satuday so this for sure is the day and time you will want to try and be there.

now for the updated list

OK here is the updated list if you havent spoke up yet. read the list and decided what you might think we need and let us know

Gtxl1200
1. Bunkhouse
2. Generator
3. 30 cup coffee maker
4. a few leftover cups and plates from past meet and greets
5. name tags
6. GLWC Welcome sign

Ber Rabbit
1. Vegetable tray
2. 10x10 enclosed tent
3. Portable heat

Mitten Diver
1. 10x10 pop up canopy tent
2. paper plates, napkins, bowls, cups and assorted other gear left over from previous Meet & Greets
4. Tex-Mex dip and chips
5. Smores and assorted special ingrediants
6. Extra gear to borrow and for sale.

Komie Hunter
1. Tent
2. Fire wood

Notso Ken
1. Pop up canopy
2. Meats to BBQ
3. Home made adult beverages

DiverBrian
1. wood, thanks Brian for resolving that issue
2. Always has extra gear to borrow if needed
3. New and Larger dive buggy which by the way was much needed.

electricbear60625
1. renting a room would share if anyone interested.
2. Ice chest. So I will put you down for a couple 3 bags of ice
3. cases of water,gatorade,soda,
4. Italian Beef and rolls

Divin'Hoosier
1. propane stove once again look at top of this post
2. Snack goodies

Jham2081
1. Chocolate chip cookies

Barracuda2
1. 20lbs of Toledo Keilbasa

Dean810
1. Big tent with room for others if interested.

Diver Paula
1. 1 black las vegas hat
2. 1 pair of red sunglasses
3. Tri-pod & cauldron
4. Soup makings - to be coordinated with Polly and served early to help beat the chill
Tea kettle
5. Thermal carafe - to keep water hot for tea & hot cocoa mix
Coffee Creamer
6. $ for firewood
7. Long hot dog / marshmallow stick
8. Fruit - probably apples and bananas
9. Clothes / wet-stuff line
10. Camp box - includes knives, matches, lighter, trash bags, Purell, paper towels, Salt, Pepper, tongs, Splenda, tea bags, etc.
11. Misc. extra gear - underwater flashlights, gloves, hood, straps, etc.

Scubapolly
1. Chicken noodle Soup fixins

RiffRaff
1. Lunch meat and Bread
2. Freshly killed caribbou

Jchoby
1.Baked Beans

Pcarlson
1.Newpaper hehe is that for the fire or the after effects of barriccudas Keilbasa?

cldwdiver
1. Breakfast fixin's

That is all I saw for right now. If I missed anyone then PM me and let me know. I will bring a Turkey again if anyone has a fryer. I cant seem to locate mine.
this is shaping up to be the biggest Meet n Greet yet.

Also it looks like the spot for Saturday night that opened up in the bunkhouse has already been spoken for We will see how we are space wise to see if we have room for anyone else. and as always green paper folded in thirds always seems to open up a spot.

Divingnthedark:
Good idea! I have a polartech skin that is too thick to wear under my wet suit...I used it sledding and was toasty....Man is my Wrangler going to be packed with gear!!
Loretta

Think your Wrangler is? What about my MINI?

(Actually, I'll leave it at home and bring the Contour. Pop-up canopy doesn't fit in the MINI too well)

Ken

Thanks to the ladies (Scubapolly, Diver Paula and Ber Rabbit) for all of the great advice on cold water diving, especially for those of us diving wet. Great advice. I plan on making use of almost all of it. Luckily, I don't usually get cold easily. But I also haven't dived in 42 degree water before either. I'm definitely planning on being quite cold and your advice is very much appreciated.

Divin'Hoosier:
I'm definitely planning on being quite cold and your advice is very much appreciated.

You're only cold until you go numb then it's not so bad :D A 25 minute dive is definitely do-able but I wouldn't push it farther than that especially if you want to do more than one dive.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom