Meet and Greet Time Again (Gilboa April 28-30, 2006)

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

scubapolly:
Bummer Wally- was looking forward to seeing you again. Maybe you will be able to sneak away. 60 hours a week.... sounds like some one is racking up the OT $$$ for some shiney new dive gear and maybe a trip or two. :D

I was looking forward to it as well. I would like to see you and Paula and meet some new buddies.

Been getting 20 hours of OT a week. Don't know about any shiney new dive gear since I bought my regs just before Christmas and a dry suit shortly after that. Also got a used video set up and all I need for it is the monitor. I have been wanting a couple LP steels. :D I do have a couple dive trips in the planning for next year.

I still have the M&G on the calendar so if something bizare happens and we don't work that weekend I will high tail with dive gear in the truck.

hey all,
New to the site and planning on attending the m&g. The only one I know at this point is KOMI HUNTER but with any luck,that will change.I'm looking forward to the diving but just as much to meeting some of this cast of characters.This definately seems to be a need to know group.I'll bring the esentials and anything I have to accomidate any suggestions.I also have a small generator if it is needed just let me know.

It sounds as if we have several divers new to diving in cold water this early in the season. I dive dry now but dove the Great Lakes wrecks and quarries for 8 years. I found it was more important to get dry and warm between dives.

Here are some of my tricks:
o Bring multiple bathing suits so you can put a dry one on for most dives. There will also be parts of your body slightly protected from your wet wetsuit on dives 2, 3, 4,...
o Bring a large warm and windproof jacket you don't mind getting wet and put it on over your wet wetsuit when needed.
o Utilize anything to block the wind. Tents, especially those with heaters inside are wonderful!!!!! (Ber will have one and loves to share.)
o Use hats, gloves, scarves no matter how silly you think they look.
o Get out of the wet wetsuit as soon as possible.
o Use dry glove liners inside your wetsuit gloves.
o Heat packs inside your wetsuit can be quite nice. You'll just need to find a microwave or borrow Ted's stove to boil / re-activate them.
o Bring a cooler full of 2-liter pop bottles filled with hot tap water (DO NOT boil over stove). Pour into wetsuit prior to and after each dive.
o Turn your wetsuit and accessories inside out to dry the inside first.
o Drink some hot liquids as soon as possible.

Anyone have anything to contribute?

Paula

diver_paula:
It sounds as if we have several divers new to diving in cold water this early in the season. I dive dry now but dove the Great Lakes wrecks and quarries for 8 years. I found it was more important to get dry and warm between dives.

o Bring multiple bathing suits so you can put a dry one on for most dives. There will also be parts of your body slightly protected from your wet wetsuit on dives 2, 3, 4,...
o Bring a large warm and windproof jacket you don't mind getting wet and put it on over your wet wetsuit when needed.
o Utilize anything to block the wind. Tents, especially those with heaters inside are wonderful!!!!! (Ber will have one and loves to share.)
o Heat packs inside your wetsuit can be quite nice. You'll just need to find a microwave or borrow Ted's stove to boil / re-activate them.
o Bring a cooler full of 2-liter pop bottles filled with hot tap water (DO NOT boil over stove). Pour into wetsuit prior to and after each dive.

Paula

Wow! A lot of that sounds like what I do with a dry suit! :wink:

diver_paula:

Paula
Well that sounds like a pretty thorough list Paula! I wouldn't have thought to bring the hat, scarf and gloves! I've been in 39F water and been fine but it was November and a sheet of ice formed all over my equipment when I got out =(... Didn't think I would ever be warm again! Those are all very good tips thanks for sharing:05:

Dean810:
Wow! A lot of that sounds like what I do with a dry suit! :wink:

Then I will graciously volunteer to be the one to pour the bottle of warm water into your suit prior to each dive!!! :D

I would actually suggest bringing more than one set of hat/scarf /gloves. Minimum of 2, one wet, and one to keep dry and wear around the campfire, as it might get chilli at night.
Also polar teck is your friend Get out of your wet suit between each dive and put on some fleece. It dries quickly and doesn't hold the water against you when it does get wet.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/

Back
Top Bottom