Max FHe in a mix

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kris979

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,

I was wondering if there are any restrictions, considerations, or calculations wrt the amount of Helium you can put in your mix.

Thanks,
kris

Minimum 16% O2 in the mix if you're considering breathing He on dry land.

You must wait at least 238 seconds before performing this action.
You must wait at least 196 seconds before performing this action.
Oops! We ran into some problems. Please try again later. More error details may be in the browser console.
You must wait at least 64 seconds before performing this action.

I was wondering if there are any restrictions, considerations, or calculations wrt the amount of Helium you can put in your mix.
Not as such.
Obviously you need to have sufficient oxygen to sustain life, i.e. not hypoxic.
Expense is the main constraint.
Some nitrogen is required even in extreme depths.

What sort of depths are you thinking about?

Hi,

Thanks,
kris
high pressure nervous syndrome (HPNS) is a consideration for extremely deep dives in the 200m+ range. But those are basically the realms of commercial divers in diving bells and such - not joe or jane schmo the sport diver. Slowing the rate of descent, or adding another inert gas to the helium-O2 mix can sometimes be used to mitigate these impacts, either small amounts of nitrogen or hydrogen. So yes there are physiological limits and considerations.

There can be issues when switching mixes with vastly different levels of Helium. I would have to refresh myself on the gas diffusion rules. I will likely be corrected on this, but don't go from a 90% He mix to straight air. Or is it the other way around?

There can be issues when switching mixes with vastly different levels of Helium. I would have to refresh myself on the gas diffusion rules. I will likely be corrected on this, but don't go from a 90% He mix to straight air. Or is it the other way around?
It's way above my pay grade (or current personal experience) but I think the issue you're thinking of is "isobaric counter diffusion" (ICD)?
ie dramatically oversimplified avoid dramatic gas mix changes on technical dives (and if you know enough to safely be doing those types of dives you either know enough it's practically instinct or you can factor that consideration into your gas/bailout choices?).

It's way above my pay grade (or current personal experience) but I think the issue you're thinking of is "isobaric counter diffusion" (ICD)?
ie dramatically oversimplified avoid dramatic gas mix changes on technical dives (and if you know enough to safely be doing those types of dives you either know enough it's practically instinct or you can factor that consideration into your gas/bailout choices?).
Yes, that's it. All my reference books are packed away, getting ready to move.

This is not something I have to deal with at my depth of diving as well, but know of it. If someone is looking what an extremely high level of Helium can be used up to, figured they should know that they can't do extreme switches of gas as well.

This thread has some pertinent information

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom