which p-valve model?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

kris979

Registered
Reaction score
# of dives
0 - 24
Hi,

Which p-valve model, or brand would you recommend? balanced or unbalanced? and finally any considerations wrt the side?

Thanks,
kris

I had a balanced pee valve. It leaked a little bit, which I guess is pretty common for balanced valves.

I closed the valve so it was unbalanced, and I noticed that it was a bit more difficult to void at depth.

I have had zero issues with my SiTech Trigon. Lots of opinions here on this. Check out

Hi,

Which p-valve model, or brand would you recommend? balanced or unbalanced? and finally any considerations wrt the side?

Thanks,
kris
Depends if you're installing yourself or having a shop do it. I haven't had any issues with either the sitech Trigon or light monkey tinkle but installing a Trigon is overall harder.

Trigon is a few bucks cheaper up front.

It depends.
Most women I dive with and train only use the pvalve for bigger dives or long boat rides. For them I always recommend the OMS one as it is removable and has a plug that goes in the suit hole when you aren't using it.
Most men use it every time they wear a drysuit, so I just look for the smallest, most streamlined. I used to use the Light monkey unbalanced with the bolt removed. It was the lowest profile and didn't get snagged on things. The new Dive Rite balanced one has the same height. That is my current go to valve.

It depends.
Most women I dive with and train only use the pvalve for bigger dives or long boat rides. For them I always recommend the OMS one as it is removable and has a plug that goes in the suit hole when you aren't using it.
Most men use it every time they wear a drysuit, so I just look for the smallest, most streamlined. I used to use the Light monkey unbalanced with the bolt removed. It was the lowest profile and didn't get snagged on things. The new Dive Rite balanced one has the same height. That is my current go to valve.
How do those two compare to the trigon for size?

How do those two compare to the trigon for size?
Don't know. I have never seen a trigon.
They are both thinner than the light monkey tinkle valve which was always kind of the standard balanced valve.

The OMS is a higher profile, but it has the advantage of being removable if that is something that interests you.

Don't know. I have never seen a trigon.
They are both thinner than the light monkey tinkle valve which was always kind of the standard balanced valve.

The OMS is a higher profile, but it has the advantage of being removable if that is something that interests you.
I had a triton installed on my SeaSkin so I'm pretty well set in using that one for now. Was just curious because I couldn't understand having that valve stick out very far.

I had a triton installed on my SeaSkin so I'm pretty well set in using that one for now. Was just curious because I couldn't understand having that valve stick out very far.

The Trigon sits pretty low. The LM doesn't sit as low, but I don't find it at all in the way. It's nice (although not really needed) being able to close it.

Ah.. it's a P valve, as long as it's working Idc.

I had nothing but troubles with the Tigon. Even to the point I got a replacement for my defective one. The new one doesn't leak as bad. Keep getting BS answers of "it will have issues if you have excessive flow" and that is somehow user error. It is a larger than normal mounting holes so it you get one, you are stuck with it.

Now the Light Monkey Tinkle has always worked correctly. Would do that one again without hesitation.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom