p-valve hose routing and undergarments

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I ended up with Conveen Optima PSX Silicone--is the difference big enough to get the widebands?
I prefer the Conveen Optimas over the Rochesters because I had difficulty preventing the Rochesters from kinking, even with the trick of trimming the cath neck a bit. The Rochester has the advantage of remaining securely adhered--like, no matter what, that thing doesn't want to slip off. The comparatively weak adhesion of the Conveen Optima is a disadvantage, and it's especially prone to coming off when sweating a lot (as you would cave diving in Florida or Mexico). Nevertheless, for me, the advantage of the Optima's anti-kinking bellows feature outweighs that disadvantage of the poor adhesion. I use prep wipes to improve adhesion, and that seems to compensate. Bottom line: if you use the Conveen Optima (or perhaps any brand other than the Rochester wideband), be sure to use prep wipes.

Ok, but I dropped $50 on Conveens, how bad can they be?
Everyone's bits are different. Use what you have and maybe order a 3 pack of Rochester to see which one you like. I found Rochester better fit me and worked well. At the end of the day you have a condom glued onto your bits with a tube hooked up.

Everyone's bits are different. . . .
Exactly. I suspect some of the issues we encounter are related to individual anatomy. Cut versus uncut may be a factor in what works best. I tried a few different hose routing and connection combinations until I found what worked best for me.

Ok, so QD or no, any tips for how to deal with things at the end of the day? Should I expect I'll just end up with some dribbled pee everywhere? Or does the hose actually empty and fill with air once on dry land?
That is where I like the dry break QC. A drop or two, that's it. Lines stay charged. Deal with them at home.
At home I put the pee valve over the edge of the tub, reconnect all the QC fittings right up the the one that I pulled out of the cath. A 2oz syringe I will give it a water flush, sanatizing flush (a whole other rant), and another water flush. End with a gravity drain and rinse the tub out.

If I need to go, I unplug the extension hose off the cath and that QC is open flow. Do my business. I can usually shake it dry enough, maybe use that time to pull the cath, or cap it with the extension hose again. Depends on where you are at in your day.

Worth the read though. There are a few camps and it comes down to QD vs no QD and wideband vs not wideband.

QD is simple, reliable, and a secondary seal in case your one way valve fails and you're not connected.

Wideband gives way more glue area for your member and offers more reliable sealing for prolonged wearing.

Make sure your shaft is clean and you'll be fine. Hair removal makes cath removal less intense. I remove the QD and then pull the cath off with no issues, just go slow and let the adhesive release.

Approximate routing here. The hose goes into my undergarment before looping down. Mine have a hole for it on the leg but I find the zipper is easiest.

View attachment 818220
Another thing to consider is the tube itself. Mines the light monkey and has a fairly rigid tube, looks like automotive vacuum hose. An abrupt u-turn doesn’t work well
I'm thinking about getting a hole sewn in my Arctics... possible you have a photo of exactly where you had it sewn so I have something to go off of?
IMG_4594.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_4593.jpeg
    IMG_4593.jpeg
    115.2 KB · Views: 28
i do the same thing except at shoulder height
It only makes sense. I don't know why you would do it any other way.

Resurrecting thread to ask a question I'm not finding an answer to.

Regarding a new Seaskin Nova suit that came with a Sitech trigon valve installed... the hose port on the valve was installed facing the rear of the pant leg.

With the stiff "corrugated" Sitech hose attached, if I want to route the hose thru an immediately adjacent access hole in my thermals (added the option with my suit/thermals order) the default port/hose direction doesn't seem ideal.

Why would Seaskin install the valve with the hose port facing the rear of the leg instead of maybe upward or at least more in the direction of where you would normally want to route the hose?

Regarding a new Seaskin Nova suit that came with a Sitech trigon valve installed... the hose port on the valve was installed facing the rear of the pant leg.

With the stiff "corrugated" Sitech hose attached, if I want to route the hose thru an immediately adjacent access hole in my thermals (added the option with my suit/thermals order) the default port/hose direction doesn't seem ideal.

Why would Seaskin install the valve with the hose port facing the rear of the leg instead of maybe upward or at least more in the direction of where you would normally want to route the hose?
Take the tool that should have come with the suit, hold the inside part of the valve, with the tool loosen the outside part and rotate the hose to point any direction you want, holding the inside tighten the outside.

Don't route through, just loop up and into either the zipper or over the waistband.

Back
Top Bottom