which p-valve model?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had nothing but troubles with the Tigon. Even to the point I got a replacement for my defective one. The new one doesn't leak as bad. Keep getting BS answers of "it will have issues if you have excessive flow" and that is somehow user error. It is a larger than normal mounting holes so it you get one, you are stuck with it.

Now the Light Monkey Tinkle has always worked correctly. Would do that one again without hesitation.
I would consider myself a 98 year old man trapped in a 38 year old body, so call me excessive flow. If anything the LM is more restrictive (to me) then the Trigon (at least at 1st, subsequent relief is easier).

Does it always leak, just sometimes, after a full week of diving?

Mine leaked once.. it was because I wasn't cleaning it enough. Tore it apart and all was good after that.

Reactions: Zef
Have had three Halcyon valves. Have never given me any trouble and the valve has worked flawlessly. Like all Halcyon kit, expensive but works.

It's the chimp on the other end that has had issues:
  • folding over the end of the catheter -- kinky; can do a shuffle which meant doing small slow pees
  • wrong size catheter -- only once, was given some catheters that were too small, gave them to a mate who I now know has a little one!
  • not properly rolling the catheter on and left a crease that leaked
  • leaving the screw valve shut (soon noticed and undone),
  • wrong routing of the hose (leave it long and up & over the waistband),
  • worst experience was not properly closing the quick disconnect (between hose and catheter), so it was closed and I was on a longish dive with a fair amount of deco so no chance of holding it -- quite the job cleaning the suit out and scrounging a refuse sack bag for the undersuits

I'm curious about where it leaked... mine hose has a female QD so no chance of leaks there if I happen to dive stone age style and not hooked up.

@rob.mwpropane I took a Costco water bottle cap and glued a sharkbite fitting onto it. I put 1/4" hose into that and then a make QD on the other end. After my last dive I grab the blue water bottle and flush before I remove the suit.

I'm curious about where it leaked... mine hose has a female QD so no chance of leaks there if I happen to dive stone age style and not hooked up.

@rob.mwpropane I took a Costco water bottle cap and glued a sharkbite fitting onto it. I put 1/4" hose into that and then a make QD on the other end. After my last dive I grab the blue water bottle and flush before I remove the suit.
Pressure backed up and eventually forced the teat off the barb.

Pressure backed up and eventually forced the teat off the barb.
Damn, I struggled for 10 minutes trying to get my QD on the hose. I'll have to check the valve end next time I open the suit

I'm having fits with my Light Monkey balanced valve. Some of these were, per @Wibble due to the chimp on the other end.

Not sure why, but even when not connected to the chimp I get leaks. I've deliberately or inadvertently done the following experiments:

1. Valve screwed tight, male QD plugged into female. It leaks
2. Valve screwed tight, male QD not plugged in. Stayed dry.
3. Valve open, male QD plugged in. Leaked.
4. Valve closed, male QD plugged in and connected to chimp. Leaked.
5. Valve open, male QD plugged in and connected to chimp. Chimp did NOT deploy urine. Still leaked. (Or did deploy, and leaked.)

Inititally I thought I had issues with urine going to the wrong place, but now realize it was sea water. (No wonder the undergarment and suit didn't smell bad.....)

Weird part is the wettest spot is right at the valve just above my knee. The wetness then seems to run up along the hose routing. Minimal (or no) wetness at the crotch. (I will reach out and internet smack the first person that says "That's what she said!")

Maybe I just need to tear apart the valve? Any advice appreciated.

I've got a Light Monkey Tinkle, it's the only one I've used, and it has worked well for me, no complaints.

and finally any considerations wrt the side?
Many people's anatomy just points to one side or the other. If you pay attention in your regular clothes, you might notice that yours tends to go to one side. Other than that, I don't think anybody but you should really care which side it's on.

I'm having fits with my Light Monkey balanced valve. Some of these were, per @Wibble due to the chimp on the other end.

Not sure why, but even when not connected to the chimp I get leaks. I've deliberately or inadvertently done the following experiments:

1. Valve screwed tight, male QD plugged into female. It leaks
2. Valve screwed tight, male QD not plugged in. Stayed dry.
3. Valve open, male QD plugged in. Leaked.
4. Valve closed, male QD plugged in and connected to chimp. Leaked.
5. Valve open, male QD plugged in and connected to chimp. Chimp did NOT deploy urine. Still leaked. (Or did deploy, and leaked.)

Inititally I thought I had issues with urine going to the wrong place, but now realize it was sea water. (No wonder the undergarment and suit didn't smell bad.....)

Weird part is the wettest spot is right at the valve just above my knee. The wetness then seems to run up along the hose routing. Minimal (or no) wetness at the crotch. (I will reach out and internet smack the first person that says "That's what she said!")

Maybe I just need to tear apart the valve? Any advice appreciated.
Having used them for the better part of a decade, I don't think they're as great as often discussed. I end up blocking (and unbalancing) them more often than not. Gamble felt the same way. A port plug in the balancing port and you're set.

Damn, I struggled for 10 minutes trying to get my QD on the hose. I'll have to check the valve end next time I open the suit
Sometimes you have to spit on it 1st to get it to go in🤣

Serious..

Back
Top Bottom