Setpoint during fast decent, what do you use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

CE EN14143:2003 subsection 5.6.1.2 is the limit for CE approval.
OMG, are we talking about CE EN? Do you know the EN limits for a "cold water regulator"? They are ridiculous, any lousy regulater passes this so called test. In realitiy they fail at 20m in 10 celsius water.

If EN is the reason for this 30m END limit then it is most likely a worthless limit.

If EN ist not the reason then we can talk about it.

OMG, are we talking about CE EN? Do you know the EN limits for a "cold water regulator"? They are ridiculous, any lousy regulater passes this so called test. In realitiy they fail at 20m in 10 celsius water.

If EN is the reason for this 30m END limit then it is most likely a worthless limit.

If EN ist not the reason then we can talk about it.
Yawn.

EN does not have END as far as I am aware. However, the rest of the world and modern science have caught up with the 30M END limit, which happens to correlate pretty well with gas density recs.

Best of luck; I hope your thought processes catch up too. Perhaps Brad Horn would be a good person for you to talk to.

The pile-on seen here is really misplaced.

One person asks a question, which was based on older thinking -- not the modern gas densities, etc. -- and it results with a pile-on where the man's attacked, not the ball.

This short-sighted posting may get the posters some form of satisfaction, but it doesn't do much for a reasoned debate over contemporary thinking: theory as well as practice.

The OP's comments indicate a more OC approach to CCR planning which may have been fairly typical amongst rebreather divers a decade or more ago. Those people lived through it. The OP's diving with higher PPO2s would mean he lives through it so it's not "dangerous" per se. Obviously the OP would need to adjust his dive profiles and react to any issues promptly, much more so than someone using leaner oxygen and richer helium.
All good and valid points.
However, OP is apparently diving a new unit which most of us assume he has done some sort of crossover for and all of that old thinking should have been rectified during that crossover.
That doesn't seem to be the case though.

All good and valid points.
However, OP is apparently diving a new unit which most of us assume he has done some sort of crossover for and all of that old thinking should have been rectified during that crossover.
That doesn't seem to be the case though.
Of course during course I was told
- max END=X. I don't even remember what X was. Perhaps 30m?
- Never ever go higher than 1.3

Course is one thing. My way of diving the other. If I dive according to GUE I am not allowed to dive deeper than 30m(?) on air. Which is ******** of course. A relaxed OC dive on a 40m wreck I never ever do on trimix, never ever. I use air or nitrox. So I also call into question other dogmatic limits.

Just had a look at the course papers. I was told, best O2 mix is when you get 1.3 at target depth. I see there are advantages and disadvantages to do so. As well if I choose 1.1 or 1.0

Just saw I wrote ******** and software automatically made ************** out of it. Nice :)

Again this happened. So let's try
bull's ****
**** of a bull
bull's excrement

Hi @Agro , I understand that you have your way and I and I think many people respect that. There are a lot of debates on BOV vs DSV, Gag strap or not, Solo diving and so on.

Personally I think there are arguments on both sides on most of these things, but I think the important thing is that most people that decide either way make informed decisions based on a detailed understanding on the issues and risks. It is only when you understand it well that you can decide where your personal boundaries lie. BOVs offer advantages but come with downsides to mitigate. If you mitigate and understand all of this there is no issue as a minor example.

The reason I say this is that what @Wibble calls the "pile-on" that you are experiencing is creating a natural push back from you on the issue. I think, as the saying goes, many forum members should play the ball not the man, but as forums go this happens.

You mentioned that you are willing to learn and expand your viewpoint, and now there is some more up to date understanding of these issues (WOB and gas density) for you to explore. So please, look at that Youtube clip, evaluate what Simon says (no pun intended) for yourself and understand why work for breathing (not just gas density) is a concern, especially for CCR. Then decide whatever you like imo. But at least it is an informed decision.

Hope this helps you on your quest.

Seameadow, fully agree. This WE I will have a closer look to Simon's clip and to the other links.

Of course WOB is very important in a rebreather. When I see what difference it makes if I put the Liberty 1cm higher or lower then I ask myself if gas density is sooooooooo important. At least I never felt any difference at 100+m. This does not mean there WAS no difference.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom