Setpoint during fast decent, what do you use?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

This whole thread is a manifestation of when you add take the Dunning Kruger graphic and a third axis for normalization of deviance.
The people that don't know what 'survivalship bias' is and aren't willing to read or able to understand the wiki article about it, likely wont know what Dunning Kruger effect or normalization of deviance is.

The people that don't know what 'survivalship bias' is and aren't willing to read or able to understand the wiki article about it, likely wont know what Dunning Kruger effect or normalization of deviance is.
But we go diving. Do you?

Yes, you can dive and read. I think I've done alot more diving than you... and alot more reading. Granted, it's not hard to have read about the basic stuff. 😁
Curious as to what kind of diving you've done this year? How many significant dives -- overheads, deep, long, difficult, non training or teaching? Only asking as nobody knows if you actually dive or not. Kind of matters as you like to have a go at others; wondering how our diving experiences compare this year.

Thus far this year -- and there's loads more booked -- I've managed 32 dives (that's basically one dive per day) with 7 over 60m/200ft, 17 over 40m/130ft, 16 longer than 2 hours, and 6 skills dives less than 10m.

(Discovered you can export the Shearwater logs as a summary format CSV -- Shearwater Cloud on a desktop, not iPad/iPhone)

So everybody now needs to post his dive history?
And what are the criteria for a notable dive? Depth? Time? Product of depth and bottom time? With a working rebreather and a solid shoot line everybody can survive a 100m dive.
I can only speak for me, but I don't want to put details of my diving and/or my private life into the www.

This is one of the main issues with internet boards / the internet: you don't know, if the person writing is an expert or only thinks he/she is. And often the "loudest" people are not the people with real experience, e.g. Dunning-Kruger etc. ...
Especially when it comes to instruction videos on youtube etc...

So everybody now needs to post his dive history?
Not at all.

However, people who constantly attack others should at least justify their superior experience.

This is one of the main issues with internet boards / the internet: you don't know, if the person writing is an expert or only thinks he/she is. And often the "loudest" people are not the people with real experience, e.g. Dunning-Kruger etc. ...
Especially when it comes to instruction videos on youtube etc...
Completely agree. Which is why it would be very useful to know about someone's history; what claim they have to comment with such forceful authority.

However, people who constantly attack others should at least justify their superior experience.
Why should they?
And why do you think, if they do, that they write the truth? This is the internet.
Actually i just finished a dive 172m, 20min of bottom time. It was my 15th dive this yeat to this depth. And I am now driving home with my pickup while writing this text. Because my balls are so huge and I am the best diver in the world.
Do you think, this is true?

Ask to met them in real life and do a dive with them. This is the only way to really see how good someone dives.
And actually the guys doing really big dives usually are not writing on scuba boards ;-) They don't need to.

Completely agree. Which is why it would be very useful to know about someone's history; what claim they have to comment with such forceful authority.
Might be true, but my private life / protection of my data and identity is way more important than what someone I don't know in real life is thinking of me.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom