Maui Dive Shop vs Lahaina Divers vs Extrended Horizons

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I had a different experience at LD. We only had about 14 divers, and a nice trip to Lanai to the cathedrals. Although it was a guided dive, once we got back to the boat we (my buddy and I) were allowed to stay under until the other groups came in, so we got an additional 10-15 minutes to poke around. I will admit to seeing a bit of surprise in our DM's face when we did our pressure checks and we had as much air as he did. The rest of our group was not so lucky......From what I've heard, it all depends on the day, your DM, and the mood of the skipper that particular day as to what kind of dive you get.

This was however the same trip that started the international underwater signal for train wreck..........but that's another story.

When we dive with Lahaina Divers, we're always first off and last on the boat. We've not had a dive time less than 45 minutes with them since we were first certified and although it miffs some of the newer DM's to see us coming up so "late", we are well within the parameters of our computers and NDLs and typically the captain or DM's we know (from many years of repeat diving with them) make them stand down and leave us alone.

My only disappointment with LD was last December when we felt much more hurried than normal (except when we were left alone under the boat) and the crew didn't interact with the passengers much, if at all. I did speak with the owner and she assured me she would address my concerns (since they were totally different than past experiences) and we'll be giving them another shot in December when we dive the Carthaginian with them.

This was however the same trip that started the international underwater signal for train wreck..........but that's another story.

Gonna share? :D

Does anyone have the email address for Extended Horizons? Just want to make sure I used the correct one last night (a few too many umbrella drinks).

merxlin - I second the request for the story. Afterall, how can I use the signal if I don't know it??? :)

SusanWH20:
Does anyone have the email address for Extended Horizons? Just want to make sure I used the correct one last night (a few too many umbrella drinks).

merxlin - I second the request for the story. Afterall, how can I use the signal if I don't know it??? :)
I have info@scubadivemaui.com as their address.

SusanWH20:

So my buddy (an old DM) and I are diving with LD at Cathedrals. We were in the 'A' group of 6 divers. All of them had at least 200 dives, some listed 300+, except me. I had about 50 at that time. I'm watching the other 4 in our group, expecting to see some great divers, but they are not all that, as they were bobbing and weaving like Mohammed Ali. We make it through the swimthru's and were just looking around the reef, Matt and I hovering a few feet off the sand, while these other guys are in the sand, piling on each other (and us on a couple occasions). On the way back to the boat, the DM was trying to coax a small octo out of a crevice in the rocks (nicely, not annoying him). Were starting to come over to where he was when the gang of 4 literally pushes past us to see what he is doing. One of them actually ended up running into the DM and was laying on top of him. We're laughing at these bozos. I look at Matt, take my arms out wide, make each hand a fist and bring them together fist to fist, then spread the fingers out and away from each other, symbolizing "trainwreck". Matt looks at me and nods, then we see the DM almost spit his reg because he's laughing. I didn't think he saw me. He got a bit of a payback when one of the guys was almost full face into the hole the octo was in when it inked the guy. So from now on, whenever things are a bit comical, we just make the trainwreck sign.

Merxlin - that is hilarious. I completely know the type. We meet them once in a while. Now I know how to ID them underwater. :)

Unrelatedly, I emailed Extended Horizons a few days ago and haven't received a reply. Is that usual? Better to call them? Thanks!

I seem to remember we emailed EH a couple times, several months before our Feb. trip, with no response. We ended up calling.. just remember the time difference! Maggi:)

Thanks! I figured as much when it was a couple of days. We're not going to be in Maui until October but I like to book early.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom