New OW Diver looking to decide between Horizon vs Rainbow Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Can you share your perspective on the guides at RR?
They run from 40-year-old Wall Street dropouts to 21-year-old brand new instructors and lots in between. They are guides, not "dive masters" in the classic sense of the word; even though 95%+ of them are OWSIs.

The difference is that their job is to show you cool stuff, navigate around the dive site and get you back to the boat on time. The customers' job is to keep up with the guide and not wander off. They really aren't underwater babysitters, even though sometimes that has to happen.

Their job is not to hover over you and check your NDL's or your tank pressure even though some will do that if they feel the need to do so.

As far as them being interns, it is a very rare event and then only if they have completed their DM course and have been vetted by the instructor manager for RR POST DM completion.

I hope this explanation helps define what I see as the guides job at RR. YMMV.

I don't think you'll go wrong with any of the shops that have been discussed here. Over time, you will learn what you want from an op and gravitate towards those that meet those needs. I'd say there are some non-negotiables that most experienced divers generally agree upon, but after that it really comes down to personal preference about what's important to you. As a new diver, you will need to develop that experience over time. If you do go with RR and Jim is your Capt., be sure to ask him about his time serving on the Spiegel.

I recently visited Key Largo (end of August, 2024) and dove with both RR and Horizon.

I wrote a detailed review which I will link below.

From what you are describing, I think RR is the way to go for you.

Good luck and have fun.

I live in Florida. The answer, if choosing between those two, is Horizon all day long. Absolutely no question. I do my best to steer folks away from RR, too many friends who have come back with terrible training stories - open water classes, AOW, even IDC. I’ve had some pretty terrible trips out with them myself, and will no longer use or recommend them.

I see some others recommended Conch Republic, and I’d second that recommendation. Key Dives is also great for new divers.

@tardistraveler, welcome to scuba. Glad you're getting into some nice (warm) water. You're getting lots of good advice from the folks on this thread. I can't speak to Rainbow Reef, but can endorse Horizon. I did two trips with them in September. One on their smaller boat to Spiegel (keep diving, you'll get ready for it) and their larger boat. Good boats and crew each time. I can also endorse Conch Republic.

I got back in the water this year after a long layoff. Did three separate trips back to the Keys to refresh skills and because my non-diving spouse and I both like Key Largo. Most of my diving has been with Amoray. In fact, the Conch and Horizon trips were booked through Amoray because their boat was out for refurbishing. I'd happily dive with any of those operators again.

The main advice I'd add is to keep talking to the shops and tell them what you want. If they can't make you comfortable in your planning, then move along. There are LOTS of options down there. I always ask for a guide because I know they'll show me cool stuff that I may miss. After all, they're on the reef basically every day and I'm not. You might find that a good option for this first trip to salt water.

I've also done this long enough to have crappy experiences with the random buddy I got stuck with. Paying the extra $$ for the guide is worth it to me. In some cases it's just the guide and me and in others I've been part of a group of 2-4.

But the main thing is to enjoy your first Keys trip. Welcome to the water!

OP, in my first year of diving I travelled from the northeast to Key Largo multiple times to dive and get experience. This was during the Wuhan virus debacle but diving in Key Largo was still up and running thankfully.

Key Largo is pretty perfect for a beginner. I dove much more with Rainbow but also dove with Horizon.

If you only have a few days to dive you can look at Rainbows schedule and get on the boat going to the Benwood, which is well worth it. It was my first wreck dive and very memorable.

I think I had 45 dives with Rainbow in that time period and got to know many of the guides and captains. It was a great opportunity for a single diver with no buddy to just show up and follow a guide.

I am very grateful to the people at Rainbow Reef for helping an inexperienced diver have a lot of fun and become a better diver.

Thank you all again for the detailed responses. I am still torn between the choices and here’s why

1. I definitely want to do Benwood. It’s a guarantee with RR but I have no idea about the probability of that happening with Horizon. I spoke to Horizon and they told me that I can let the captain know the dive from previous day so he won’t repeat it. But, I forgot to ask them how likely would they do a shallow wreck. Will be talking to them again about this. If Benwood is a coin toss, then it’d a bummer.

2. As much as people say RR is new diver friendly, it looks like Horizon would have a better guide to divers ratio given it’s not mandatory. With RR, it’s probably going to be 1:8 which is making Horizon the “safer” choice for someone as new as me.

Perhaps I am overthinking this. Expect to make the decision in couple days.

Thank you all again for the detailed responses. I am still torn between the choices and here’s why

1. I definitely want to do Benwood. It’s a guarantee with RR but I have no idea about the probability of that happening with Horizon. I spoke to Horizon and they told me that I can let the captain know the dive from previous day so he won’t repeat it. But, I forgot to ask them how likely would they do a shallow wreck. Will be talking to them again about this. If Benwood is a coin toss, then it’d a bummer.

2. As much as people say RR is new diver friendly, it looks like Horizon would have a better guide to divers ratio given it’s not mandatory. With RR, it’s probably going to be 1:8 which is making RR the “safer” choice for someone as new as me.

Perhaps I am overthinking this. Expect to make the decision in couple days.
You are SO concerned about having a guide watch over you on these first real dives, that I suggest you hire one, just for you. Don't count on the luck of the draw. Ratios of 1:6 or 1: 8 or 1:20 are pretty much irrelevant; what is important is the experience of the guide and whether they are focussed on YOU or on getting to various way-points on his tour. And also it depends on the other divers in the group....do they need attention too?
With your own private experienced dive buddy you'll have a good time, probably see more, and will realize that you probably don't need to do it again.

I dove with Rainbow Reef last year with only a little more experience than you. I choose RR because of their policy of no extra charge for guides. I was going by myself and felt for comfortable knowing that I would have a guide, but not having to pay for a private guide. It seems that many more experienced divers object to having a guide, but it made me much more comfortable. I did 10 dives over 3 days and overall had a great experience and appreciated all of the guides that I dove with. If I went now I might well choose Horizon if I was going with a buddy, but I have no regrets and I would definitely recommend RR for beginners. Also, if your diving at RR Waterside suites was right next door and very convenient.

Hello,

I got my OW certification done recently in a quarry in the north east. I am planning a quick solo diving trip to Key Largo later November.
I short listed Horizon Divers and Rainbow Reef based on these

- would like a group guide preferably with a 1:6 guide to divers ratio or less. Not looking for individual attention but would be comfortable that there is a guide who’d be there for emergencies

- looking to dive 2 separate days or 2-tank dives. So total of 4 dives in 2 days. Understand that the options are limited to shallow reefs. Would like some variation across the 4 dives.

I am inclined towards Horizon because from what I read their groups are smaller than RR and their guides are perhaps more experienced than RR.

But Horizon doesn’t have set dives on schedule unlike RR and all their dives say Captain’s choice. I don’t want the dive from day 1 pm and day 2 am to be the same. Ideally, I would like to dive some reeds and a shallow wreck like Benwood. On the phone, Horizon Divers mentioned that the dives are chosen based on conditions by the Captain and are typically not repeated but there is no guarantee.

Appreciate any feedback on RR vs Horizon for my situation. Also open to hearing about other operators that do guided trips.

Thank you!
Horizon is a very solid operator.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom