New OW Diver looking to decide between Horizon vs Rainbow Reef

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I I remember well, RR in Key Largo and Key Dives in Islamorada are the only ones to put guide in the water for free. RR may be a bit overwhelming op for a new diver, but that's who they cater for mostly.
Our choices in the upper keys are Horizon in KL, Conch Republic and Key Dives in Islamorada.
For free or not, you really want their guide in the water with you anyways.

I lived for 10+ years in the Keys. I never dove with an op that I didn't like. I've even had @Capt Jim Wyatt as a captain, and he was great. Sure, the more polished you are, the easier any dive op is, but all of the shops in the Keys deal with noobies every single day.

Every

Single
Day!!!

They'd go out of business if they couldn't do this one important task. So, you don't know which one to use? Book one the first day and try the other the very next day. They're not your girlfriend or wife, so you aren't cheating.

Conch Republic.

If you are unsure of yourself as a new diver and a new area you are not familiar with, you may just need to hire a guide for the first few dives, especially if something like the Spiegel Grove or other deeper dive where current is normal. There is nothing wrong with hiring a guide. You do not know what you do not know until you realize you do not know it. Nothing wrong with even experienced divers hiring a guide to show them the ropes and introduce them to a new place.

@tardistraveler You've mentioned the Benwood often. It's a cool dive. It's also where most of the folks, including Rainbow, go for their night dives. It's usually Wednesday and sometimes Friday. Totally a function of demand. I'd ask about that. Benwood at night is very different from Benwood during the day. A good dive in both cases, but at night it's turtle city. I think I had 10 on my last night dive there.

+1 for Benwood. Saw my first juvenile drum on the Benwood. I'd also recommend City of Washington as a shallow wreck for beginners. You'll have a guide, but it is also very easy to navigate so if you feel up for it, you can see if the guide will let you lead a little and you'll gain some confidence being in charge of navigation. Not sure if guides are allowed to not be first, but you can ask.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/teric/
https://xf2.scubaboard.com/community/forums/cave-diving.45/

Back
Top Bottom