Lahaina fire?

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Seaweed Doc

MSDT
Scuba Instructor
Divemaster
Reaction score
# of dives
1000 - 2499
Not exactly dive related, but I wonder if anybody has news on the extent of damage in Lahaina from the fire?

I've only been able to find general details, like Front Street was pretty much destroyed. I heard the banyan tree was a loss.
Any news on the dive shops in town? Lahaina Divers is right down there and is an older wood building. Dive Maui is more out to Mala pier and maybe survived? How about the historic buildings like the courthouse and Baldwin House?

Just saw Waiola Church burned, which makes me think not much survived. Wow.

I did my IDC there, in 1996.

NASA aerial mapping of the fires.

This is devastating and so incredibly sad. All those displaced people...island life is hard enough. Maui is a special place for me and I recognize a lot of the burned areas. Historic Front Street and the beloved banyan tree are a great loss. 😭

This is devastating 😢.

It can be very difficult to find shelter during a crisis like this. The Red Cross keeps a searchable map of shelters on their website. Currently, it is showing 4 shelters as having space:
- Maui prep academy up by Kapalua. 4910 HI-30, Lahaina, HI 96761
- Maui high school gym. 660 Lono Ave, Kahului, HI 96732
- Maui War Memorial complex. 700 Halia Nakoa St, Wailuku, HI 96793
- Hannibal Tavares Community Center. 91 Pukalani St, Makawao, HI 96768
- Also, for those who can make it to O'ahu, the Hawai'i Convention Center has announced that they can take up to 4000 evacuees. 1801 Kalākaua Ave, Honolulu, HI 96815

The Hawaii Salvation Army is currently accepting monetary donations. I have kicked in what I can, and I would encourage anyone reading this to do the same. It's a 501c3, so any contributions are tax-deductible in the US.

If you are in the area, the Salvation Army is also seeking non-perishable food, as well as prepared meal from restaurants and certified local kitchens. According to local news media, the War Memorial Complex is accepting donations of non-perishable foods, bottled water, hygiene products, and blankets.

I feel for everyone who is displaced, and for the immense loss many are experiencing right now. In 2020, my hometown had a massive fire, over 80000 people were evacuated for weeks, including my family. It was a very challenging time, but most of us pulled through, eventually. Maui is a beautiful place, with strong people, I can only hope that your losses are minimized.

I think the banyan tree will make it. Dive Maui might be okay; it’s farther north near the Old Lahaina Luau and the Safeway, and I think both of those made it. Maui Diving Scuba & Snorkel, I’m guessing, might be gone. It’s really awful - I love that downtown Front St. area.

It looks like Lahaina divers is almost certianly a loss.

From the satellite photos I think the Lahaina location of Maui diving is also at a minimum extensively damaged if not also completely destroyed.

Aside from the donations to the Red Cross and salvation army, if any of the local dive shops happen to have kept product offsite (hats, shirts, etc) once they get their feet under them I’d absolutely buy some. It isn’t much, but looking to help any way I can.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom