Maui County Delivers Final Blow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

(Hey, that reminds me did the 2009 digital copy get mailed out from PADI? I didn't get it! Going to PADI's website now.)

I think it was an insert in the first quarter Journal; mine was lost in a mail forward loop so I didn't get it either. :shakehead:

Thanks, I know it is supposed to be but I am usually really good about updating my material and I had to do it by hand this year off the erratas. I'm going to call them Monday. :wink:

LOL! That's my DIVE room (aka office) not living room (though that room has a blue wall too). The fish tanks are all over the house (but not in the dive room).

October is a great time to come out!! We get the off shore winds, no surf, and clear upwelling water!!! Ohhh, I hope the Dodgers hang on. Let me know in advance and I'll get something together.

That beast is way too heavy for luggage. I can ship it priority mail, as long as I can get the box closed the post office will ship it for a flat rate!

Ohhh! I was in Cabo a couple of weeks ago, playing and diving. I didn't see any hammerheads :crying: but did get to see a TIGER Shark!! Whoo hoo!

Doug, I mean no offense here, just trying to express the other point of view.

But have you thought that maybe the operators are the ones responsible for the new rules? My wife and I have been to Maui twice, both times we have seen your "bus". We have also noticed surf operations, and to be frank, some are a little rude to residence.

2 things come to mind. First, we saw a surf shop start a surf lesson on a beach. They parked in the loading zone, dragged all there gear through the grass and bushes. Left the vehicle parked in the loading area. Then setup right next to a group of sun bathers "because this is the spot we always use" and made them move. If I was a sun bather that was just relaxing and was pushed out by some surf shop on a public beach I would have been upset.

Second instance was a dive op, they spent nearly 30 minutes at a public beach shower rinsing off gear. They took up 3 of the 4 showers and a line was forming for beach goers to just rinse off there feet. Again there where some pissed off people.

I have also over heard some negative comments about your very loud scuba bus. None divers and residence find it a bit obtrusive.

I also don't understand why this will put you out of business all together. All you need to do is get a permit and follow the rules. They did not mention permit fees and how many permits they are going to allow. Have you found any of that out?

Law makers don't typically wake up and see who they are going to screw today. They normally do something when they get a good amount of complaints. But by no means am I defending law makers, they also come up with ways of screwing everyone as well. I live in NY, I know all about fees, taxes, and a general butt ramming by the gov.

Please put the word out that I am now offering FREE Scuba lessons on Maui. I will not accept any payments, gifts, gratuities or favors whatsoever. My only requirement is that each participant bring their own vehicle or rental car. NO carpooling! If you are already certified, I am offering FREE Scuba lessons in continuing education. The size of my FREE classes will depend on the certification level of the particular class. You can find the Instructor to student ratios in PADI's Instructor Manual in the Summary of PADI Courses and Programs-Key Standards in the General Standards and Procedures section. If you do not have a copy, I would be happy to provide you with a FREE hardcopy.

You will always find people to complain about everything. But in the case of the Scuba Bus I've only ever heard one person complain but lots of people mention Doug's creativity in his business model. And from what I've ever seen of Doug down at the beach he truly is an ambassador of Aloha, toward divers snorkelers, kyakers and non-swimmers alike - we need more like him.

One of the big problems is that the county is only issuing permits for 10 beaches on the island, and not more than 4 permits at any of them (some only 2). Total permits is ony 30 - that is not enough to cover the current Dive shops on the island (There were 12 brick and mortar dive shops within walking distance of my house when I lived on the island.) Some shops will need more than one permit as you cannot do confined water training at all of the beaches listed. Even 'if' every shop got one permit, that would mean they could only operate at one beach and how many customers would like to only dive one site every time they come to the island?

Another problem is the hours - most are only allowed to operate 7am-2pm M-F and only till noon at some beaches on Saturday, with most beaches being closed Sundays and Holidays. No more night dives (except at a 2 beaches) - So now a business must close or curtail it's business on holidays and weekends ... when tourism is at it's peak.

I often wondered why there were no dive clubs on the island - the old regs prohibited any entity including non-profit and clubs from gaining permits ... and they have not issued a new permit for 7 years last time I checked. The new regs are even more restrictive.

If I have understood the comments over the past year, and what I'm reading (yes it's possible Ive misunderstood things) then it's really bad for current businesses.

Aloha, Tim

Doug, I mean no offense here, just trying to express the other point of view.

But have you thought that maybe the operators are the ones responsible for the new rules? My wife and I have been to Maui twice, both times we have seen your "bus". We have also noticed surf operations, and to be frank, some are a little rude to residence.

2 things come to mind. First, we saw a surf shop start a surf lesson on a beach. They parked in the loading zone, dragged all there gear through the grass and bushes. Left the vehicle parked in the loading area. Then setup right next to a group of sun bathers "because this is the spot we always use" and made them move. If I was a sun bather that was just relaxing and was pushed out by some surf shop on a public beach I would have been upset.

Second instance was a dive op, they spent nearly 30 minutes at a public beach shower rinsing off gear. They took up 3 of the 4 showers and a line was forming for beach goers to just rinse off there feet. Again there where some pissed off people.

I have also over heard some negative comments about your very loud scuba bus. None divers and residence find it a bit obtrusive.

I also don't understand why this will put you out of business all together. All you need to do is get a permit and follow the rules. They did not mention permit fees and how many permits they are going to allow. Have you found any of that out?

Law makers don't typically wake up and see who they are going to screw today. They normally do something when they get a good amount of complaints. But by no means am I defending law makers, they also come up with ways of screwing everyone as well. I live in NY, I know all about fees, taxes, and a general butt ramming by the gov.

Yeah, I'm not bashing Doug on any level, I got a chuckle out of the op. And yes, from a 200 foot view it did seem like he ran a good business.

I will totally agree that limiting the number of permits issued to peanuts is really bad for the whole industry. But the law did not list any limits on permits to say, so how do you know how many they will issue?

And I am proud to announce the appointment of the Scuba Czar, Mayor Tavares. She will report directly to me and no other. Next week, I will announce the appointment of my next Czar.....the Tourist & 2nd Homeowner Czar. Coming soon......more Czar appointments: Beach Czar, Boat Czar, Shaka & Aloha Czar, and finally.....the Road to Hana Czar.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom