Maui County Delivers Final Blow

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Yeah, I know your vehicle issues, I have a semi tractor to tow an RV, it fits in the same physical space as an F350 crew cab 8 foot box truck, but I get hell as well.

As for the "Loud" comment, it was more of a visual reference, of bright yellow and dive flags all over it. Basically a driving, parking billboard.

Is some of the drive for this trying to save the reefs on Maui? Everyone knows almost all of the near shore and off shore reefs are in great decline. I mean we went all the way to Ahihi Cove in the marine park before we really saw thriving corals. I think part of the reason for that is we where the only divers there all day, and only a few snorkelers to be seen. The lack of facilities, long hike, and no commerical use is keeping that reef healthy.

Many local dive shops organize reef sweeps to cleanup debris left by shore fishermen and even spear fishermen. The scuba divers are protecting the reefs while others destroy and trash it. This has been brought up in meetings but the County ignores facts and logic. I guess you'd just have to be there to understand.

Its great that the dive community is doing part to help, picking up trash and stuff is good.

However, how many divers out there on training dives just crash all over the place? One poor diver can wreck years of coral life a lot more than a beer can ever will.

Yeah, I know your vehicle issues, I have a semi tractor to tow an RV, it fits in the same physical space as an F350 crew cab 8 foot box truck, but I get hell as well.

As for the "Loud" comment, it was more of a visual reference, of bright yellow and dive flags all over it. Basically a driving, parking billboard.

Is some of the drive for this trying to save the reefs on Maui? Everyone knows almost all of the near shore and off shore reefs are in great decline. I mean we went all the way to Ahihi Cove in the marine park before we really saw thriving corals. I think part of the reason for that is we where the only divers there all day, and only a few snorkelers to be seen. The lack of facilities, long hike, and no commerical use is keeping that reef healthy.

Thanks, that is what I thought you mght have meant. I believe the current politically correct term for this is UGLY IN PUBLIC. People like me who are different from the 'norm' are perceived this way. I'm sorry. I certainly do not mean to offend anyone. I kind of like the bright yellow, it makes me visible and safer (oh, you mean like a school bus or a firetruck? so people will see us and not hit us by accident? good idea...it is filled with explosive gasses by the way!). I guess all those crazy bubbly bubbles coming out when I cruise around are just too much for some people to handle too. Well, they should loosen up.

I don't know when you saw it last but most of my unsightly dive flags and signage are removed now. My bus is actually getting pretty plain compared to years ago. There's no more phone number or advertising on it. Some of my competitors are much more guilty of this than I am. It's funny, people tell me all the time how much they like my bus. Entreprenuerial types just love the heck out of it and tell me it's awesome. You can't please all the people all the time, can you? This is the United States and we are still allowed that freedom to be whatever color we want. Do you think if my bus were pink it would be any better or worse? How about camoflage? or tye dye? Maybe I could just let it rust out. I'm proud of my bus. I try to keep it clean and looking presentable. It is 24 years old after all and will qualify as a 'classic' in a year. Someday I may make it a show vehicle. It is a one of a kind. I can't even tell you how many random people have come up to me and taken pictures of my bus at the beach. Not because they are offended by it but because they see it as belonging there and as a nice little tongue in cheek addition to the setting. I can guarantee you my bus has made way more people smile than cringe.

I think we all know that the reefs are suffering from lots of problems. Divers are only a small part of that. Shoreline Development and added people with everything that comes with that are where the problem starts. it's the unguided divers who do more harm, break more rules, commit more tresspassing, touch more coral, take more fish, hunt more bugs, and leave behind more waste than the organized guided divers. I beleive in a 'leave no trace' policy. Day after day I clean up, straighten out, assist and put things back. I only leave behind footprints and tire tracks and a few wet spots that dry up in an hour or two.

Many local dive shops organize reef sweeps to cleanup debris left by shore fishermen and even spear fishermen. The scuba divers are protecting the reefs while others destroy and trash it. This has been brought up in meetings but the County ignores facts and logic. I guess you'd just have to be there to understand.

Speaking of Reef Cleanup; Extended Horizons will have two cleanup trips on September 19th. Cost is $25 per diver (gear extra). PM me if you are interested.

Last year we cleaned reef off the Pali, which is heavily shore pole fished. It was pretty depressing to see how much fishing gear ends up embedded in the reef! Here are some photos.

I'd like to go to Light House and Shark Fin off Lanai some time; there is a lot of fishing gear there and they are dive sites. That's a long trip from an operator cost point of view.

However, how many divers out there on training dives just crash all over the place? One poor diver can wreck years of coral life a lot more than a beer can ever will.

Here in Hawaii an operator whose students on training dives just crash all over the place will soon be getting rid of whichever instructor allowed that. Even non-divers on resort intro dives will mostly be over sand if the participants are bottom crashers.

Your posting style here reminds me of badly trained quarry students; seems like your trying to stir up the muck :confused:

Hey 'fppf': The training dives that I've witnessed and instructed happened in sandy areas. And the beer can comment is just not true. One reef sweep excursion brings back hundreds of pounds of lead and monofiliment. You are way over there on the east coast and are speaking of things that you think you know about but obviously have no idea what you are talking about. Anyway, thanks for your input but WE know what's going on over here. Find another thread to comment in if you want to just make stuff up.

I dont know if there is any hope for change with the current administration. What I might suggest is that all of the CORA operators channel their funds into a strong political action committee and back some challenger candidates which might beat the current folks in the next election. Hopefully the democratic process will win out. Unfortunately many of our elected officials don't really care what the people want and in that case, they need to see what the people want when they are voted out of office. That can only happen if they have a viable challenger who is adequately financed. I'd suggest y'all organize and start on that process soon. Find a candidate who supports your position and get them positioned to oust the current administration.

Back to the subject matter. We're discussing why the County is being unreasonable and illogical but some in this thread are like YOU, fppf, are really reaching. Lose the dry suit for a change come get wet!

Does this mean no more professionally led night dives at Ulua? What does that leave for night dive locations in South Maui?

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom