Masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Chris and Karen

Registered
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

We are just starting out on our PADI OW and AOW certs, and wanted to ask for recomendations for masks. There seem to be so many out there and prices vary considerably. I always work on the assumption that you get what you pay for, so we are looking for something that is comfortable and durable. We arent really interested in the purge type masks, as we have heard some bad press about them on here. I know that will open the flood gates to those who use them on here, but I have heard once flooded and with a defective purge valve you cannot clear them. I maybe wrong (I usually am) :)

Any sugestions?

Each person has a different face. I love my Cressi mask and my dive buddy who has the same mask HATES it. It's personal preference and face shape.

Go down to your LDS and try on what they have there. Put it on without the strap and inhale through your nose. If it sticks to your face, you have a pretty good seal.

Masks are one of those things you really NEED to try on to ensure a good, comfortable fit.

Thanks. I had intended to try some on, but didnt want to annoy the dive shop owner and trying on each and every one :)

It is about the fit more than anything. IIRC there was a recent post that there are really only <6 maks manufacturers, and they are branded for each of the big names (might be wrong). My wife uses an off brand $20 mask that just fit her the way she wanted, and I have a couple of different ones due to fit issues that are all across the board in regard to price. Some of ours are years old, and still going fine. Most expensive does not equate to best... Get What fits...

---------- Post Merged at 09:51 AM ---------- Previous Post was at 09:50 AM ----------

Thanks. I had intended to try some on, but didnt want to annoy the dive shop owner and trying on each and every one :)

If they do not condone such activity, I suggest you find another shop....

My understanding is things like masks and snorkels have the highest markups at dive shops, so I doubt any decent dive shop would be annoyed with you trying and purchasing the items which result in the highest profit margins.

My LDS actually encourages new divers to try all the masks. I would not be shy about trying many on. I for one found one I love, had prescription lenses put in, then bought a second copy of the mask. If the first becomes usable, I can pop the lenses out and put them in the second mask.

As everyone has stated, don't pay attention to the price, pay attention to the fit. I will also say that most of the divers I have started with and progressed with, including myself, started with clear seals and "wider" vision, which tends to be brighter. Most of us are now quite comfortable diving, and the majority of us have moved to opaque seals. In my case, I partake heavily in UW photography, and the opaque seals help with seeing screens and finders.

I also dive with a Cressi mask and love them in general. Silicone seems to be the right blend of softness and it fits my face well.

New masks IME always leak until they soften up a bit- much like wearing in a pair of new shoes. After toothpasting/burning the inner glass, leave it in the sun for a few minutes to warm it up, put it on and walk in to an aircon room- this can help mould it to your face a bit quicker.

You could also sunbathe while wearing it- probably do the trick as well!

Im still trying the find the right mask myself- i have a larger nose -

i found the the mares masks fit nice thou and really like the [h=3]I3 LiquidSkin[/h] 411040_I3_CBLBL.jpg

but i want to try the [h=3]Essence LiquidSkin[/h]411031_1.jpg

i have a little bit of a larger nose myself. i have a HOG tech mask, its very low volume and has a great viewing area. best oart is i bought it from cave adventurers for about $20!. i have 6 other masks, and this one is by far my favorite.

After toothpasting/burning the inner glass, leave it in the sun for a few minutes to warm it up, put it on and walk in to an aircon room- this can help mould it to your face a bit quicker.

You could also sunbathe while wearing it- probably do the trick as well!

hmm... will try this technique out

i myself preferred Cressi from since I'm snorkeling and it moved over into diving i currently use the Cressi Panoramic Wide View

Back
Top Bottom