Masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

+1 on buying the mask that fits your face and treat it with Johnson's baby shampoo before every dive from new

Disclaimer: I do not work for J&J :D

Hi everyone,

We are just starting out on our PADI OW and AOW certs, and wanted to ask for recomendations for masks. There seem to be so many out there and prices vary considerably. I always work on the assumption that you get what you pay for, so we are looking for something that is comfortable and durable. We arent really interested in the purge type masks, as we have heard some bad press about them on here. I know that will open the flood gates to those who use them on here, but I have heard once flooded and with a defective purge valve you cannot clear them. I maybe wrong (I usually am) :)

Any sugestions?

Good call to stay away from the purge masks. As others have already said, fit is #1, but I look for low-volume masks. Get something where the glass sits close to your face. It makes clearing easier and improves field of vision. The big masks with side panes are more of a gimmick than anything else.

The Frame-less masks give the best vision of all the masks on the market because they can get the lens at the right pitch and closer to your face so I would look at those models first. Our most popular frame-less masks are Atomic, Hollis M1 & Oceanic Shadow. If you find one that fits your face (Atomic & Oceanic come in regular and small sizes) then great, go with it. If it does not fit your face then try one of the tear-drop styles because that will give you the next best vision. If the mask that fits your face comes in all black (discolor less in sun & keeps you more focused), I would go with that. Lastly, stay away from purge masks.

+1 on avoiding purge masks. The valve is a likely failure point, plus a PV is just a crutch anyway. Without a purge, you will learn to clear a mask without thinking about it. It'll just be second nature to you.

Try on a bunch and pick one that seals well for you. All else being equal, lean toward a low-volume one. I have acquired many masks over the years, but I keep using the same ones. They are like shoes, when you find that right one; stick with it.

Once, I received a Mares ESA for birthday present. It's a nice mask, but HUGE. It's like wearing an aquarium on your face. Great vis until you have to clear it, then it takes 1/2 a tank to blow it down. :) It has found a home in my mask storage bin and rarely sees the light of day.

To the OP,
As everyone has said, a comfy fit is what you need in a mask.

Do visit your local shop and try a few but I strongly recommend that, whatever mask you end up with, replace the plastic straps with a neoprene mask strap. Why?

The neoprene makes it easier to put on the mask and is more comfortable and longer lasting than the plastic straps in my opinion.

As for brands, in the UK you might want to try the Beaver masks or the frameless Oceanic shadows - with masks an expensive one is not always better than a cheaper brand so go for the mask you feel comfy in.

Like everyone else has said go to your LDS and try on all the masks they have. Find the one that you are most happy with. If you have any other shops near you check the masks that they have also. The more you try on the better to get the one that will work best for you. Unless you loose your mask you won't have to replace it for a long time as long as you get one that fits your face.

Add my voice to those discouraging a "purge mask. And also, fit is everything. Start with fit first: fit for comfort, but most importantly, fit for a good seal on your face. Leaking masks are no fun. After fit comes style. Some masks have a single large lens, others a separate lens for each eye. If you wear contacts or if you want to get corrective lenses in the mask, I recommend the two lens style. Another style feature is the "depth" of the mask, that is, the size of the air space the mask captures on your face. Some masks are "low profile," trap less air, and impact your buoyancy and trim less than those that capture a large air space. I really like a low profile mask. Finally, color is a feature to consider. That may or may not be important to you, but just know it is real important to some people. (My wife will only wear a black mask). Do not go cheap, but you don't need to mortgage the house to get a quality mask either. For a quality piece of gear that will last a long time expect to pay from $60.00 to $120.00.
DivemasterDennis

The dry fit in the shop is better than nothing, it might not leak and it just might. If you do, have a reg in your mouth as this will change the contour of your face.
I recommend you trying it in the water. Now, some shops have a pool on site, others do not. If they won't let you try it in their pool (this actually happened to me) keep walking. If you have to check it in another pool or dive with it and won't exchange it, keep walking.

I found the Atomic Aquatics mask fits me incredibly well. It's low volume and has a dark skirt, both features that are important to me. It also has incredibly clear glass. It's more expensive but after years of fussing with crappy masks, it's a pleasure to have such a nice mask.
I would definitely look for low volume and dark skirt. This makes a difference.

---------- Post Merged at 04:51 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 04:49 PM ----------

Add my voice to those discouraging a "purge mask. And also, fit is everything. Start with fit first: fit for comfort, but most importantly, fit for a good seal on your face. Leaking masks are no fun. After fit comes style. Some masks have a single large lens, others a separate lens for each eye. If you wear contacts or if you want to get corrective lenses in the mask, I recommend the two lens style. Another style feature is the "depth" of the mask, that is, the size of the air space the mask captures on your face. Some masks are "low profile," trap less air, and impact your buoyancy and trim less than those that capture a large air space. I really like a low profile mask. Finally, color is a feature to consider. That may or may not be important to you, but just know it is real important to some people. (My wife will only wear a black mask). Do not go cheap, but you don't need to mortgage the house to get a quality mask either. For a quality piece of gear that will last a long time expect to pay from $60.00 to $120.00.
DivemasterDennis
Yes, no purge mask!! I had one with a valve blow out at 80 feet, early in my dive experience. Not fun. Coming up the anchor line on a wreck, in current, with a totally flooded mask. Let's just say I've never forgotten that dive.

I personally would not buy a mask with a purge because its one more moving part that can break. Mask clearing is simple enough to learn and after your class you'll rarely clear the mask except when removing some fog underwater (for the most part). I have an expensive mask and I have had an inexpensive mask. I LOVED my inexpensive mask it finally broke after 10 years and they no longer make that style so I had to buy something else. Find the mask that fits your face and feels good against your skin. If you can use it in the pool and have the option of exchanging if it leaks - that's the best thing to do. If you buy from the shop doing your lessons this should be a given, be sure to ask "can I return this mask after the 1st pool session if I don't like it or it leaks?" Good luck, enjoy and welcome to diving! The best mask is the one that fits best - period regardless of price.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom