Masks

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

I LOVED my inexpensive mask it finally broke after 10 years and they no longer make that style so I had to buy something else.

This is always a problem, when you find something good that works and lasts for ages by the time you replace it is either obsolete or unavailable.

For some things I now buy two of, if they fit my criteria

WOW! SO many replies. Many thanks to all for the advice. I think the general concencious is to steer clear of purge valve masks, so we will just have a long trying on session at our dive shop soon. I liked the tip about the baby shampoo - I do love the smell of that stuff! :wink:

Again, many thanks to all who took the time to respond. We feel part of the club already! :)

---------- Post Merged at 02:08 PM ---------- Previous Post was at 02:05 PM ----------

To the OP,
whatever mask you end up with, replace the plastic straps with a neoprene mask strap. Why?

The neoprene makes it easier to put on the mask and is more comfortable and longer lasting than the plastic straps in my opinion.

Top tip - Thanks!

Hi everyone,

We are just starting out on our PADI OW and AOW certs, and wanted to ask for recomendations for masks. There seem to be so many out there and prices vary considerably. I always work on the assumption that you get what you pay for, so we are looking for something that is comfortable and durable. We arent really interested in the purge type masks, as we have heard some bad press about them on here. I know that will open the flood gates to those who use them on here, but I have heard once flooded and with a defective purge valve you cannot clear them. I maybe wrong (I usually am) :)

Any sugestions?

Where will you be doing most of your diving? As for masks, I have had most types and I like the black skirt "low profile" ones like the one Hollis makes. As an added bonus they're very easy to clear the water out due to having less volume.

Fit is most inportant. That is true with a purge mask once it fails you cannot clear them. I really like the Atomic Venom and Subframe masks, they have a lifetime warrenty on the Frame so it will last you forever.

Can anyone recommend a good mask that doesn't have a silicone nose pocket? Something more like the old Scubapro Tri-vent where your nose is behind the glass with two indentations to pinch your nose.

I don't care if it has a purge valve or not.

Where will you be doing most of your diving? As for masks, I have had most types and I like the black skirt "low profile" ones like the one Hollis makes. As an added bonus they're very easy to clear the water out due to having less volume.

Most of our diving will be in Cyprus. We are using a company called CyDive who seem to be quite well known and have a good reputation with good instructors. We have today ordered our training manuals and are looking forward to getting stuck in! :cool2:

Well, we have both done it. We have now been and tried on MANY MANY masks in our local dive shop as advised, and we have both settled on the Cressi masks. They seems to be well made, a reasonable price and the fit is very comfortable :)

Next up .....FINS :wink:

Is the lens on the Oceanic Shadow Single Window Mask suitable for the stick-on reading lenses? In other words, is it absolutely flat on the inside?

Back
Top Bottom