Diving In Thailand - Timeline and Itinerary Help

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Hi all!

My husband and I are planning a trip to Thailand! This is a dream destination for us, and we have a lot we want to do, including spending a few days in Bangkok, Chiang Mai, and of course, diving!

We are AOW certified and have done quite a few dive-centered trips (most recent was to Cozumel - it was phenomenal). I want to do a LOT of diving in Thailand (honestly, if I could, I'd be underwater all the time!), but we have quite a few other non-diving things we want to do, too. This brings me to my question: We could go to Thailand for 2 weeks over the holidays (December / January), when I've heard the diving and weather is best. However, we'd be limited to two weeks (more like 10 days on the ground, with the travel time from Idaho), and it's quite pricey. This would mean, if we spend a couple days in Bangkok and a couple days in the northern area, we'd have maybe five days of diving. If we were to do this, where would be the best place to dive at, with travel considerations (ease of access from Bangkok, flight restrictions for 24 hours after our last dive, etc.). I'm considering scratching Chiang Mai, and maybe we can go on another trip if need be, to get more diving. I love sharks, and wanted to visit the Similan islands and Koh Tao potentially. So, best places to go? Should we scratch Chiang Mai (too much in one trip) and just dive?

The other option we've got is to go in the summer. I'm a teacher so I have almost unlimited time off. If we did this, we could spend a couple weeks diving if we wanted to (husband can work flexibly and remotely), and see the other stuff. However, I have heard the diving is not as good in summer.

I guess I'm mostly reaching out to see what you all think about the two options, and look for recommendations regarding which is better. I'd be glad to shorten our trip to prioritize diving if we go in December, especially if the diving is that much better that time of year. Thoughts?
I have dived all over Thailand. Personally I'd skip Koh Tao. Sail rock and a few others are impressive dive sites on their own, but you will most likely have an uncomfortable amount of other dive boats in the area. It feels more like a tour guide with 50 other people than diving. However I must say, there really is an impressive amount of large fish on the sites. It is literally swarming with fish. I did 3 weeks in Similan and it was solid. Not the best viz around 5-10m depending on the dive but i think we were unlucky. Had some dives where it was closer to 15m but don't expect crystal clear and otherwise it's nice. I'm lucky enough to do everything privately so I can't speak to a dive company but I saw some liveaboards that seemed to be efficient. I had some really insane night dives there and West of Eden was our favorite site.

However.... I've dived all over the world and in my opinion, Thailand is home to what i consider the most underrated reef I've ever dived. It's not Similan, or Richelieu, or Koh Tao.

Koh Lipe is incredible. Particularly Stonehenge Reef. I dived some other spots and then just did 5 days in a row on Stonehenge because it was that good. The most beautiful soft coral reef I've ever seen. And absolute macro heaven which is what I like. I spotted more seahorses there than I've seen diving everywhere else in the world combined. (And it wasn't just the same one over and over again🤣)... also some really cool nudis and weird devilfish, octopus on every night dive, coral cat shark which i had never seen before. It was incredible and stunningly beautiful. It's also a chilled out island and perfect for a more relaxed atmosphere than koh Tao in my opinion.

Anyway, I love to rant about diving. If you decide on Similan or Koh Tao you'll enjoy it. If it was me I'd go for similan and Koh Lipe.

Cheers

BTS doesn't go to Don Muang...factor in more walking up and down stairs in the 90% humidity dragging all your luggage and dive gear and catching another taxi to the airport departures deck.
sorry. SRT to Don Mueang (Red Line from city center), BTS to BKK. Don Mueang is still the money maker in Bangkok and is very easily accessible with Grab. Like anything else with bangkok, it's up to you to beat traffic. If you manage your travel, it takes a morning to get to anywhere in Thailand. if you don't you'll be in traffic forever and will be waiting in line at the airport just as long.

you could always ride the train and be guaranteed a 10-12hr train ride on top of fighting traffic though. Better get that sleeper car.... purchased ahead of time.

I have dived all over Thailand. Personally I'd skip Koh Tao. Sail rock and a few others are impressive dive sites on their own, but you will most likely have an uncomfortable amount of other dive boats in the area. It feels more like a tour guide with 50 other people than diving. However I must say, there really is an impressive amount of large fish on the sites. It is literally swarming with fish. I did 3 weeks in Similan and it was solid. Not the best viz around 5-10m depending on the dive but i think we were unlucky. Had some dives where it was closer to 15m but don't expect crystal clear and otherwise it's nice. I'm lucky enough to do everything privately so I can't speak to a dive company but I saw some liveaboards that seemed to be efficient. I had some really insane night dives there and West of Eden was our favorite site.

However.... I've dived all over the world and in my opinion, Thailand is home to what i consider the most underrated reef I've ever dived. It's not Similan, or Richelieu, or Koh Tao.

Koh Lipe is incredible. Particularly Stonehenge Reef. I dived some other spots and then just did 5 days in a row on Stonehenge because it was that good. The most beautiful soft coral reef I've ever seen. And absolute macro heaven which is what I like. I spotted more seahorses there than I've seen diving everywhere else in the world combined. (And it wasn't just the same one over and over again🤣)... also some really cool nudis and weird devilfish, octopus on every night dive, coral cat shark which i had never seen before. It was incredible and stunningly beautiful. It's also a chilled out island and perfect for a more relaxed atmosphere than koh Tao in my opinion.

Anyway, I love to rant about diving. If you decide on Similan or Koh Tao you'll enjoy it. If it was me I'd go for similan and Koh Lipe.

Cheers
As I always advise those who ask, without a doubt, Ko Lipe is the best diving in Thailand (and Southern Andaman LOBs are better than the Similans). I'd be curious how last year's bleaching affected the corals there, however. Nearby Koh Haa was pretty badly hit.

FB_IMG_1729243136414.jpg

2024 was my first time visiting. But it was great to me.
As I always advise those who ask, without a doubt, Ko Lipe is the best diving in Thailand (and Southern Andaman LOBs are better than the Similans). I'd be curious how last year's bleaching affected the corals there, however. Nearby Koh Haa was pretty badly

https://www.shearwater.com/products/perdix-ai/

Back
Top Bottom