Mask Head up Display-Finally!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Does anyone have a car with a heads-up display? I would guess it actually works better on a fogged window. (My cars have all been too old and/or low priced ...so I'm used to regular gauges... but that's my guess.)

...but I still don't plan to get a mask with a heads up display.

Keep in mind this is a first generation mask. I am sure in the next few years they will go down in price, in weight and the design will be better. Do any of you remember what the first cell phone or laptop was like?

I am a bit of a techy, I always like to buy the latest and greatest. Unfortunatly with scuba damn things are just never in my price range :( I'm going to have to get me one of these some day they look very cool.

I often get the impression that new technologies -- or new ideas in general -- are really frowned upon by a lot of people. :D

My view? A heads-up display would have its advantages.

And I suspect the fogging problem was because it was a brand-new mask, without scrubbing.

But:

It's expensive as hell -- though I agree the price for the technology, if it survives, should come down with time. But not into my price range.

Since it's wireless, you'd still need a gauge and/or computer back-up. Um, if you carry a spare "dumb" mask anyway, that would take care of a problem if you lose it -- except being out over a grand.

The one-piece lenses, like PerroneFord points out, precludes corrective lenses -- except maybe something laminated.

And I make it a point never, ever to buy into being a beta-tester for the first-generation of any technology -- for price and reliability reasons.

OK, except for that '82 Toyota Supra... :D

--Marek

If I was to buy one of these I would probably rig some sort of device to make sure if it did get seperated from my large head it wouldn't go far :)

Is it possible to cover loss of scuba gear ( on site ) with home owners or renters insurance? Or are there any insurance plans specifically for scuba equipt? If so, I would definatly invest.

merxlin:
Not to hijack the thread, but wouldn't a vocal interface be a good logical step versus heads up display? You know, some bluetooth technology that can give you voice information from your gauges, so for low/no viz situations you could still get readings? Just a thought.
Already tried... a few years ago one of the dive computer companys came out with a 'talking computer' that fed info in a talking voice that could be heard thru the water a few feet away... worked great... just didn't sell....

It's interesting to read all the negatives of the mask from a group of folks who have never used the mask. Do you find it odd that not one person who has used the mask is posting anything negative and in fact there have been posts here with glowing reviews. Although I am under contract with both Oceanic and AERIS as a rep I am first and foremost a diver. We had a number of folks much like yourselves who went on our Cozumel demo Datamask trip predisposed to not liking the mask. Every single diver, instructor and divemaster that used the Datamask did not want to give it up and in fact the attitude was that just about everyone that used it wanted to buy one and damn the cost. The weight and field of vision are absolute non-issues with this product during dives. The computer within the mask is not noticable and does not detract from the dive or field of vision in any way. Looking throught the mask on the dive you do not see the display until you need it, look down to your right and presto: there is all your information. I think it is important and even necessary to use this mask on a real world dive to appreciate the simplicity, advanced design and certainly before one can throw out any negative comments about something they have never tried out. The military would not have ordered more in our contract with them if the design was not rugged enough to support their heavy requirements. As I have stated earlier how many wireless dive computers are out in the field being purchased for $1000 plus on a daily basis?

Darryl

Darryl Bowerman:
It's interesting to read all the negatives of the mask from a group of folks who have never used the mask.
Darryl

Darryl, I have used a HUD mask, it was the CDDM from Panama built on the Mares ESA mask frame.

I don't really think this mask needs your defense. The early adopters out there will see this, understand what it is- then buy it.

The interesting thing here is that you have the "chasis" platform built, allowing you to easily add other info items for display later. We developed that list you have probably see that is a "wish list: of display info.

On the top of that list was a compass.

Word will get out, people will see it and recognize it's value. It will go through another generation of features. The price will come down.

The first one- not your model... I would up "fixing" a prototype by whacking it with a butter knife to remove the battery. The shocked look of the Navy boys at the table was worth the trip.

Darryl Bowerman:
It's interesting to read all the negatives of the mask from a group of folks who have never used the mask.

I don't need to use it to be able to immediately identify problems with using it. First and foremost, my buddy cannot read it, so I'm resigned to having another gauge and SPG anyhow. So, I'm back where I started with my regular configuration with the HUD adding nothing to my diving.

Do you find it odd that not one person who has used the mask is posting anything negative and in fact there have been posts here with glowing reviews.

No, I don't find it odd. People are easily sold new and cool technology. And, I admit...it's a cool product, it's just unnecessary and creates a few problems.

SOGGY
Why would your buddy need to read your pressure gauge? I've got a lot of dives and never needed anyone to read my pressure gauge for me...:confused:
In fact I've only once needed to even communicate an exact number to another diver,
and it was after sending AOW students up, and we were deciding on what to do next...usually its a half PSI signal/turn around signal, and a 1/3 signal...

And on the fogging issue...the lense of the mask can fog, but the display usually doesn't, (its a seperate "window")

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom