Mask Head up Display-Finally!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

plwtwo:
SOGGY
Why would your buddy need to read your pressure gauge? I've got a lot of dives and never needed anyone to read my pressure gauge for me...:confused:

We constantly check each other's pressure. That's part of being a team of divers...knowing what is available amongst the team. Usually my buddies don't even know I've checked their pressure, because I can just look over at their gauge if I'm in the right position.

I would hope that the benefits of being able to read a teammate's depth gauge/timer are obvious in the event of a failure.

The HUD basically requires you to bring backup gauges since the wireless can fail and, in the event that you have a mask failure, you would also lose your gauges.

Darryl Bowerman:
The weight and field of vision are absolute non-issues with this product during dives. The computer within the mask is not noticable and does not detract from the dive or field of vision in any way.

I think it is important and even necessary to use this mask on a real world dive to appreciate the simplicity, advanced design and certainly before one can throw out any negative comments about something they have never tried out.

I've worn the mask out of the water, and it doesn't take making a dive with it to see that the field of view is substantially decreased by adding a computer display to the lower right-hand corner of the mask. When I look to my lower right, I see a computer, not what's to my lower right. I don't have to dive it to know I don't like that. Does that somehow change when the mask is wet? The computer is quite noticable. In fact, I thought that it's ease of noticability was supposed to be a big selling point for the product.

Are you really suggesting that this mask has a field of vision similar to other Oceanic single frame masks?
p_computers_datamask2.jpg
p_masks_shadow2.jpg

Oh so you're saying you don't teach or use hand signals...sorry didn't know you were a diver (baby) sitter, thought you were talking about dive buddies...my mistake...
I suppose you suggest using only analog gauges too....so their easier to read?

Do you lose a lot of masks? As for the back-up for the electronics failure issue, maybe...if you have a VT-3 you could use it for a back-up, of course if the transmitter goes bad you out again...but you just alert buddies...then make a safe ascent immediatly....so no biggy...

Looks like an orange shovel to me...

plwtwo:
Oh so you're saying you don't teach or use hand signals...sorry didn't know you were a diver (baby) sitter, thought you were talking about dive buddies...my mistake...
I suppose you suggest using only analog gauges too....so their easier to read?

Do you lose a lot of masks? As for the back-up for the electronics failure issue, maybe...if you have a VT-3 you could use it for a back-up, of course if the transmitter goes bad you out again...but you just alert buddies...then make a safe ascent immediatly....so no biggy...

Wow, such hostility. You would've thought I've been saying bad things about your sister or something...

I use a digital bottom timer/depth gauge and an analog SPG.

I don't need to ask my buddy how much gas he has. I can look. It's not babysitting, it's being aware of what resources are available amongst the team. When performing an unconscious diver rescue on his wrist, I can visually reference his gauges since my hands will be quite busy. When my gauge fails, I can visually reference my buddy's. Heck, on deco I often find myself glancing over at my buddy's depth gauge because sometimes it's more in my field of view than my own. :)

I don't lose a lot of masks, but I do always carry a backup. I did surface from a dive a few months ago and have the mask literally fall off my face as I sat down onto the boat. I'm glad that didn't happen 160' below, 30 minutes earlier. If it did, I would have had my backup mask and could still read my gauges.

Look, I'm not saying that it's a bad piece of equipment, but there are those that will see it's shortcomings and not be blinded by the coolness factor. I've worn it...field of view is reduced and it feels like a brick on my face. It doesn't solve any problems and it creates a few new ones. That's all....

Hmmm,

People told me that I needed a wireless computer and it was the greatest thing since sliced bread. Don't have one.

People told me that I needed split fins, and they were the best thing in the water. Don't have one.

People said integrated weight BCs were the best things in the water. Don't have one of those either.

All cool products in their own right, but they don't solve any problems I have. I have not used this mask. However, I would not feel comfortable having my guages ONLY displayed in my mask.

It's like cars. Some people like blinking lights, and some like guages. I'm a guage kinda guy.

Hey... everything has its place. A mask like that is good for someone who feels that they have plenty of money to spend on the newest 'techie' mask.

I myself have been watching this mask evolve for the last 5 or so years... by evolve I mean hearing promises that it would be for sale soon. Not actually seeing the mask... from what I've read/seen in catalogs one would think it would be less 'brick-like' and a little cheaper.

Even though this isn't a product that I want--at least at this price--I'm glad manufacturers are trying new things.

It seems the main message from the nay sayers is: It doesn't fit my style of diving so it isn't any good.

Come on, give folks with other styles and desires a chance to make up their own minds. You know they will anyway.

Frankly, with these comments I can't wait to try the thing. We're almost done walking on water and ready to start swimming in it. So, maybe that won't be too long now.

Matt S.:
.......I'm glad manufacturers are trying new things.

yep - agree

i was playing with this mask last week

new cool toys are fun but i wouldnt buy it myself

yes, i felt like i had less vision, its way too expensive for something that can be easily lost( ive never lost a mask but it does happen) and it doesnt come in yellow

https://www.shearwater.com/products/peregrine/

Back
Top Bottom