Mask Head up Display-Finally!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

So why would this mask in any way preclude someone from using a backup analog SPG, just like a lot of people who use wrist-based wireless AI computers? I can understand those who aren't comfortable trusting wireless AI for the sole method of monitoring your gas supply, but I sure don't see how it hurts anything to ADD a heads-up readout to your arsenal.

Can it be used in gauge mode?

ArcticDiver:
It seems the main message from the nay sayers is: It doesn't fit my style of diving so it isn't any good.

Who said it wasn't any good? I saw people saying it was:

1. Too expensive

2. Reduced field of vision

3. Couldn't be had with prescription lenses

4. Didn't fit their style of diving.

5. Didn't feel it added anything they wanted.

None of those reasons indicate the product is not good. Just not right for the diver in question.

CompuDude:
So why would this mask in any way preclude someone from using a backup analog SPG, just like a lot of people who use wrist-based wireless AI computers? I can understand those who aren't comfortable trusting wireless AI for the sole method of monitoring your gas supply, but I sure don't see how it hurts anything to ADD a heads-up readout to your arsenal.

It doesn't preclude that.

seems to be a lot of talking about this new mask with head up display... I remember well when computers were first introduced to sport diving and most of the very same comments were voiced then about the pros and cons of diving computers as we are seeing on this board about this mask... and just how many people dive today without some kind of computer???? as for the mask failing on a dive, I have seen every piece of equipment ever made for scuba fail at some point in time during a dive. I never dive with just one set of gauges, nor one computer, and I always have a back up regulator on the boat, as well as a spare mask or two.... personally, I can not wait until I get to try this new mask, and probably will buy one... from an 'old salt' who learned to dive with double regs and old fire bottles converted for scuba....

almitywife:
yep - agree

i was playing with this mask last week

new cool toys are fun but i wouldnt buy it myself

yes, i felt like i had less vision, its way too expensive for something that can be easily lost( ive never lost a mask but it does happen) and it doesnt come in yellow

ok, what i SHOULD have said that ive never lost a mask UNTIL today!!!

im thankful for 2 things;

1. it wasnt the very expensive Oceanic HUD mask
2. another diver found it

cheers

almitywife:
ok, what i SHOULD have said that ive never lost a mask UNTIL today!!!

im thankful for 2 things;

1. it wasnt the very expensive Oceanic HUD mask
2. another diver found it

cheers
So how'd you lose it?

And how did the other diver find it? (Something having to do with the "yellow"?)

Rev. Blade:
Does anyone have a car with a heads-up display? I would guess it actually works better on a fogged window.

Actually, I do have a heads up display on my car. While it has been awhile since I have used it with the window fogged, I don't recall any difficulty in reading the display.

What I have noticed is that after the initial "wow, that's fantastic" period, I have usually turned it off, and rely on the dashboard instead. Perhaps it is easier to just see the guages due to background contrast. (That is, the car heads up display is much easier to see during nighttime driving, during the daylight it tends to be washed out and more difficult to read).

I have thought of this mask and the buttons on the side of it. Every time you want to change your display, you are "pushing" your mask a little bit. Causing leakage? Not sure, but it would be a possibility.

I like techie stuff. This is first generation heads up, and I am sure it will get better. I just can't see the compelling benefit to me at this time.

Personally, I would not form an opinion until trying the mask myself. I won't even complain about people who do. Their problem, not mine.

But I see significant advantages in having a totally hands-free way of checking my depth, gas, nitrogen loading, etc.

I am an underwater photographer and videographer. With this mask I would not need to let go of my camera gear to check my computer.

I would think this would be an advantage for someone spearfishing as well. Wouldn't have to let go of the speargun with one hand, wouldn't have to move my hand and scare the fish.

If I am helping or rescuing a diver in distress, again I would be able to use both hands to manage the problem, while still being able to monitor my depth, gas, etc.

Scootering? Not sure, I haven't used a scooter.

I have never lost a mask, but it is possible. How hard would it be to clip a short flexible line to the mask strap? I have used a similar thing when wearing caps or hats on a boat.

Many people use a backup SPG with a wireless AI computer. Why would this be any different?

If your mask fogs, how many of you can see your computer and guages now? Duh.

In a zero visability silt-out I would still be able to see my computer. Anyone consider that?

Compared to a wrist mount wireless AI computer and a mask it is a bit expensive, but many of these computers are $1000 or more. And it is the first of it's kind.

The fact that military divers use them says something about reliability and functionality. I don't think they would use them just to look cool or have the latest gadget. Of course military divers usually have something else in their hands when they are diving. heh heh

But hey, I am a bit of a geek, so I am predisposed to like new things. I can't wait to try one!

thomjinx:
Personally, I would not form an opinion until trying the mask myself.

You don't form an opinion about something until you try it?:huh:

If everyone on ScubaBoard does the same, that means EVERYONE has used a Pony bottle!:D :D :D

I will try one when I have either a problem I am trying to resolve (such as two handed photography) or I feel it will enhance my diving experience. Listening to others on this board has helped me avoid several orange shovels so far.

Marek K:
So how'd you lose it?

And how did the other diver find it? (Something having to do with the "yellow"?)

welllllll -- doing the spit and rinse thing and wave from nowhere comes in and its out of my hand and with a strong outgoing current.... me standing there like an idiot going hey, wheres my mask

about 20ft away was a open water class and apparently my mask zoomed past them to be grabbed by the DM who thought geez its ugly (hideous yellow) but its free

i dedided to wait at the entry point for my buddies to finish their dive (i said go to them) and i was helping the class exit and the DM says thanks and i said hopefully next dive you will find my mask and he said, what - this mask :dance:!

and as i was sitting there.... i was thinking about this thread and how psssssd off i would be if it was the $1k HUD mask i was playing with the week before

oh, and i can see hubby getting one of these and for the reason poster above me says, hes a photographer

off diving now.... i belive the hud mask will be getting a tryout with some other guys this week.

cheers

Back
Top Bottom