Mask Head up Display-Finally!

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Working on Plan B:
You don't form an opinion about something until you try it?:huh:

If everyone on ScubaBoard does the same, that means EVERYONE has used a Pony bottle!:D :D :D

Too funny!:wink:
Everyone has apparently tried split fins and ankle weights too!

Fortunately, some things don't need to be tried to know that they don't work. It's called thinking through the problem ahead of time.

I'm a computer programmer. I don't need to write a bunch of junk code in order to figure out what doesn't work. I sit down, plan it out, and then write the code. Sometimes, despite my planning, I need to refactor, but I can assure you, I've never gone back to an idea that I threw out during the design phase. Same works with diving.

Oh, I have tried split fins. They suck. :) I also tried the HUD mask. I didn't like it. Ankle weights, I didn't need to try. I know they are a gear solution to a skill problem...or a bandaid on a gear problem.

I dove the mask in Florida at the end of Marchand I loved it.
The volume was well balanced and no matter how hard I tried I could not get the current to remove it from my face.
At devils eye it was great having all info right at my face without being obtrusive.
the way the display is, you have to look down to see it so you can ignore the display easily till you need it.
I liked it and I will be having one in May for diving with the family.

I will however still dive with a spg and watch no matter how many computers I have

I use an Aladin Z o2 wireless computer that retails for just about the same price as the datamask. I do not carry a separate SPG or tables for that matter since in the field of recreational diving, if my computer stops working, I can simply make a safe ascent and get back on the boat. I have never lost a mask during a dive, and if I do one day... I'll just make a safe ascent and hope that my buddy was able to grab my mask.

When I'm teaching CESAs, I wrap my leg around the ascent line to control the ascent and grab my student's BCD with both hands and can not see my computer. With the datamask I won't have to guess the ascent rate anymore. Just for this reason, I will be getting one. The fact that there will be one less item to forget when I get my bag ready and one less item to strap to myself before the dive is just an added bonus.

I think Oceanic's effort should be applauded and I am sure that this is the way of the future and hope other manufacturers will follow.

Famous Quote:
"There is no reason anyone would want a computer in their home."
- Ken Olson, president, chairman and founder of DEC

Well, it might be bulky/heavy/expencive at the moment, but as with all such technology, theill find a way to make it puny and almost affordable...

From someone who has actually used the mask, don't knock it until you have tried it. Yes, it is heavier that a regular mask, but not that much. As far as use, it is much easier to use than a console or wrist computer. All I had to do was glance down to see, a major improvement. Visibility was reduced in the right lense, but not very much and the mask itself fit well. The price may seem to be a distraction, but when you figure that a good wrist computer costs upwards of $1,000.00, maybe it is not so unreasonable

Considering how fast computer and display technology is progressing I don't doubt that in a couple of years we will have masks with the display built into the glass itself. The computer will be so small as to add essentially no weight to the mask. This is just the start and it's a good start at that. Having all the information available to the diver at any moment during their dive is a great idea. Not sure I want to pay $1400 for a mask, even if it has a dive computer in it.

https://www.shearwater.com/products/swift/

Back
Top Bottom