Mask Advice Needed

Please register or login

Welcome to ScubaBoard, the world's largest scuba diving community. Registration is not required to read the forums, but we encourage you to join. Joining has its benefits and enables you to participate in the discussions.

Benefits of registering include

• Ability to post and comment on topics and discussions.
  • A Free photo gallery to share your dive photos with the world.
  • You can make this box go away

Joining is quick and easy. Log in or Register now!

Another Zen point- it always seems that the 'cooler' the mask is the worse it fits.

Once again, the mask chooses the diver.....:shades:

Yes, my pal John tried on masks at all the dive shops around. He bought one that felt perfect, called a Seadive Superba 3. It leaked badly on him once in the water. He gave it to me, and it is comfortable and leak-free. The mask chose me.

It is not a cool looking. It fits better than my "cool" Atomic frameless. That's part of of "mask lore".

I have the atomic black frameless, it's amazing...

my first mask was the X-vision clear skirt. I thought I loved that until I wore the atomic black frameless....

I find that I like the light allowed into the clear skirt of the frameless, and my older Scubapro, for that matter. Black skirted masks tend to make me feel more "closed-in."

Just personal preference.

definitely a personal preference. I can't imagine ever in a thousand years going back to clear skirt...

definitely a personal preference. I can't imagine ever in a thousand years going back to clear skirt...

Ditto that, I pulled my first mask (clear) out of the archives for fun. It now remains there for eternity...

I own both the Mares XVision (not liquidskin), and the Atomic.

For me,the Atomic is my mask. It fits me perfectly, and the vision is wonderful. I have the XVision as a backup.

Unfortunately you can't determine how well a mask will fit until you dive it. Both the Atomic and the Mares seem to fit well topside, but UW the Atomic fits me better.

I have several friends diving the Atomics (both versions), and we all love them. However that is because they fit AND they are very well designed.

If you can't try them out in the pool, then the decision is impossible. You really won't be able to tell how well they fit. Even putting a reg in your mouth topside does not really do it.

Good luck. BTW, I like black skirts! :popcorn:

1st mask was a ScubaPro something-n-other dry fit was good clear skirt, suggested by LDS since i wasnt sure if I'd feel closed in by the black. dove with it and with the way i hold the reg it caused the maks to leak. went and tried out the Mares x-vison and Liquid skin X-Vision got the X-vision black skirt, cant see going back to clear ever. I would like to try the new Cressi Occhio Plus, any one got one the want to loan out for a dive? :D

What is it about the black skirt that turns you on?

Matching heels?

lol

Seriously... I'm curious... I just haven't developed a fondness for the darker colors.

This was posted earlier in this thread, clear skirts and even colored frames actually interfere with vision. Extraneous light entering through the clear skirt makes it more difficult for the eye to focus and causes reflections that obscure vision. Demonstrate this by looking out a window from a lighted room at twilight. You will see better by cupping your hands around your eyes as you press your face to the window. Brightly colored glossy accent frames can also cause annoying color halos around the lenses. For these reasons, knowledgeable divers seeking the best possible vision prefer masks with solid black skirts and frames.

These are the facts based on physics, not opinions. I believe this was posted on the Dive Rite web site. This is what turns divers on...

Wellllll... I had about 15 min. in a pool with the Liquid Skin. Leaked bad at first, but got better with a few adjustments. Didn't have time to mess with it much, but I was disappointed. Going to Bonaire in a few weeks. If this thing leaks like it did in the pool, I'll buy a mask down there.

Wellllll... I had about 15 min. in a pool with the Liquid Skin. Leaked bad at first, but got better with a few adjustments. Didn't have time to mess with it much, but I was disappointed. Going to Bonaire in a few weeks. If this thing leaks like it did in the pool, I'll buy a mask down there.

Brad,

Sorry that the mask does not seem like it fits well. After fifteen minutes, I'd think it would either fit good, or never will?

Here is an example of where IMO your LDS is likely not only more expensive, but doing you a disservice.

You could have purchased both masks from LP (I would say ST's, but they won't mail Atomic), and then returned the one you did not want AFTER diving both in a pool.

The same is true with my LDS. You can return anything you buy (store credit only) if you have only dived it in their pool. However they have all the masks they sell to demo in the pool if you desire. So you would not have had to purchase anything to try out any mask they sell. IMO, that's only good business, especially giving their high prices. At least they ARE backed by service! :D

Sounds like you may want to review your LDS choice for gear purchase in the future. I'd be upset if I was stuck with a leaky mask due to their poor policies, and I'm guessing you did NOT pay bottom dollar.

Back
Top Bottom